Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is it possible to do an exchange program w/out being in scho

Is it possible to do an exchange program w/out being in scho

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Is it possible to do an exchange program w/out being in scho

Postby sdhaku » Thu 05.24.2007 1:56 am

I'm out of college now but would like to get in touch with some Japanese people in order to do an exchange. What I mean by this is they could come live at my place in the US for a certain amount of time and the favor would be returned when I travel to Japan. Are there (free) sites or resources for this kind of thing (maybe even on this site)? Are there anythings I should know before trying to make this kind of thing happen (regulations, things to be aware of, etc.)?
sdhaku

RE: Is it possible to do an exchange program w/out being in

Postby Matsutake » Thu 05.24.2007 3:45 am

Sdhaku,
I doubt you will be able to find a site or organization that facilitates the kind of arrangement you are looking for. I would recommend that you decide if your desire is to have a Japanese person come stay with you to share the culture of America, or if what you really want is a place to stay in Japan while you live and experience family life/ 'authentic' interaction with native Japanese. If the latter is more what you are interested in, I think you would have some success in befriending a Japanese person you might meet on the friends.thejapanesepage.com or another site and speaking to them about your desire to travel to Japan for a brief (or extended, as the case may be) visit. I have found many Japanese receptive to inviting foreigners into their homes, but of course you will need to have a connection first.
Matsutake

Postby poptartkiller » Thu 05.24.2007 4:56 am

well I dont know about that kind of exchange, but you can go to firststepworld.com and they have a program where you can attend a school to learn japanese. Its located in Tokyo and the only requirements are that you be able to read and write hiragana, Katakana, and know about 50-100 japanese words. You can choose the amount of time you want to stay over there and they will show you on the website the price estimate. like for 50 weeks its about 20,550 USD.

I hope to do that program myself in like 2 years ( I dont even have 20,000 pennies much less dollars :( )
poptartkiller

Postby CometBelle » Thu 06.28.2007 3:31 pm

I know there are a few local organizations around here that offer trips to Japan, but they're hardly considered exchanges; of course, it depends on where you live. If you fail to find a program, you could always just go for a visit and just stay in a hotel. It probably isn't quite what you're looking for, but it's something, right? I hope you find something. Traveling to a foreign country is hard for some (most, actually) people to do, but it's certainly a wonderful experience. I'm pretty sure you'll find something if you search the internet long enough, so no worries. : ) Best of luck!
CometBelle

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan