Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Osako to Tokyo and back

Osako to Tokyo and back

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Osako to Tokyo and back

Postby clay » Tue 05.29.2007 8:40 pm

When we went, I believe the only restriction was we couldn't ride the Nozomi lines. But that was several years ago.
Last edited by clay on Tue 05.29.2007 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Dehitay » Tue 05.29.2007 8:49 pm

clay wrote:
When we went, I believe the only restriction was we couldn't ride the Nozomi lines. But that was several years ago.

By any chance, is there another shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka?
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Tue 05.29.2007 9:11 pm

Dehitay wrote:
By any chance, is there another shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka?

All three types of Shinkansen run on the Toukaidou Shinkansen line between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka. The Nozomi is the fastest and is excluded from travel using a JR Pass. You can ride the slower Hikari and the even slower Kodama Shinkansen trains using a JR Pass.

As a matter of interest I used this websiteto plan my rail travel for my last visit to Japan.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby AJBryant » Tue 05.29.2007 9:57 pm

Man, nostalgia time. Talking shinks got me waxing nostalgic, and I found myself whistling the Shink bell music. Man, I miss that sound. And, oddly, I miss that woman's voice -- though she's probably 60 now.

Revel in this website's geekiness for its devotion to train bells and announcements.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby flammable hippo » Tue 05.29.2007 10:06 pm

And, oddly, I miss that woman's voice -- though she's probably 60 now.

That's the same woman who gives the instructions and asks the questions for the JLPT lol.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby Oracle » Tue 05.29.2007 11:39 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Man, nostalgia time. Talking shinks got me waxing nostalgic, and I found myself whistling the Shink bell music. Man, I miss that sound. And, oddly, I miss that woman's voice -- though she's probably 60 now.

Tony, no need to fantasize about what she looks like anymore! here's a photo and voice recording for old times sake. :)
Last edited by Oracle on Tue 05.29.2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oracle

Postby AJBryant » Wed 05.30.2007 3:17 am

THAT'S HER!!!

That's not a bad photo. Knowing Japanese PR companies, it's probably only about a ten-year-old photo, too. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 05.30.2007 5:59 am

Dehitay wrote:
A part of the JR site said something about shinkansen service being available. However, it's not a very informative site, so I'm not sure exactly which routes are available. But if you had a JR pass, is there a quick way from Osaka to Tokyo via a mix of both kind of trains all paid with the pass?

Check out http://www.ekikara.jp

[url=http://www.ekikara.jp/cgi-bin/route.cgi?incode=27127021&intext=%91%E5%8D%E3&outcode=13101011&outtext=%93%8C%8B%9E&month=200705&day=30&hour=18&min=49&arrive=&way=first&utrexprs=on&max=5&sort=&half=on&cut=on&direct=on&x=30&y=15]
Non-shinkansen options
[/url] range from 6 hours 59 minutes to 9 hours 36 minutes, with between 2 and 7 transfers. Prices (one way) range from 8,510 yen to 14,820.

See why I didn't recommend any of them?

[url=http://www.ekikara.jp/cgi-bin/route.cgi?incode=27127021&intext=%91%E5%8D%E3&outcode=13101011&outtext=%93%8C%8B%9E&month=200705&day=30&hour=18&min=49&arrive=&way=first&max=5&sort=&half=on&cut=on&direct=on&x=49&y=7]
Options with no express trains of any sort
[/url] range from 9 hours and 36 minutes to 14 hours and 44 minutes, with between 7 and 12 transfers. Prices (one way) range from 8,510 yen to 9,030 yen.

The night bus has either option beat hands down.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Wed 05.30.2007 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 05.30.2007 10:39 am

Mike Cash wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
isn't there a train that travels that besides the shinkansen? I am sure it would be rather affordable and quicker than a bus too.

Nah, I researched all that before posting the bus info.

The savings aren't all that great, the trip takes forever, and there were way too many transfers (to potentially screw up) for me to feel comfortable recommending it to the OP.

Anyway, if the OP is a minor, I have a sneaking suspicion the plans were screwed up to prevent the Tokyo excursion on purpose.

Aha, I had not realized there would be many transfers. For some reason I had envisioned a straitshot train ride that mirrored the shinkansen, like an access road mirrors an highway..
two_heads_talking

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 05.30.2007 10:41 am

clay wrote:
theshadowtaker wrote:
I ride the bus every day. It's always late. GRRR

You must NOT be in Japan. You can set your watch by the buses and trains.

boy is that true..
two_heads_talking

Postby lalaith » Wed 05.30.2007 11:25 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Anyway, if the OP is a minor, I have a sneaking suspicion the plans were screwed up to prevent the Tokyo excursion on purpose.

According to her profile, the OP was born in 1984, so not a minor.

two_heads_talking wrote:
clay wrote:
theshadowtaker wrote:
I ride the bus every day. It's always late. GRRR

You must NOT be in Japan. You can set your watch by the buses and trains.

boy is that true..

Wasn't there a horrible train accident because the engineer was a minute or two behind and had sped up to get back on schedule? I've got that item floating in around in my head & I remember it as being in Japan though I don't recall any more details.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby rizu » Wed 05.30.2007 11:38 am

Wow. This thread took an interesting turn.

Thanks for the information everyone. If an overnight on the bus is $78 (approx.) then I just might be able to ration my money to get it done. If not, it's okay.

Mike Cash wrote:

And Mike, I'm 23, but if you were basing my apparent age on my avatar then I must say thank you and I'm flattered that someone out there thinks I am 18 or younger (Though I know the pic in the avatar is small and hard to see....). ^_~
rizu

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 05.30.2007 12:55 pm

I doubt Mike was basing it on your avatar.. I only base my assumption on Mike's record of prior posts..
two_heads_talking

Postby rizu » Wed 05.30.2007 2:39 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
I doubt Mike was basing it on your avatar.. I only base my assumption on Mike's record of prior posts..

Ah, oh well. A girl can dream.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for the information. It was very helpful and I'm going to see what I can do once in Japan.
rizu

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 05.30.2007 3:20 pm

I wasn't making any assumption about age at all. I was merely offering conjecture. I don't read new member introductions, and it takes quite a while before I bother to actually remember any personal info about individuals that one could ordinarily be expected to pick up from reading their posts.

Actually, even at 23 I wouldn't be surprised if the plans were "screwed up" on purpose.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan