Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 18 yrs old vs 20 in Japan

18 yrs old vs 20 in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

18 yrs old vs 20 in Japan

Postby melissachan » Sun 05.27.2007 3:42 pm

My teacher says that 20 yrs old is like 18 in Ameirica. How are 18 and 19 year olds viewed? Do they still go to the pediatrician and have to live with thier parents? If you are 18 yrs old and American can you get an apartment or will you be to young
melissachan

RE: 18 yrs old vs 20 in Japan

Postby Infidel » Mon 05.28.2007 12:55 am

The way I understand it, at 20 they are in college, and college is the last gasp of childhood for many. People will still be dying their hair and doing other childish acts that won't be tolerated. Society seems to encourage them to "still be kids" for a little longer. In the US, after 18, even though some partying and stuff is tolerated, people are expected to begin taking more responsibility.

This is gleaned from hints over many different articles. Since I have never experienced it, I can't vouch for it's accuracy.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby lalaith » Mon 05.28.2007 1:06 am

melissachan wrote:
My teacher says that 20 yrs old is like 18 in Ameirica. How are 18 and 19 year olds viewed? Do they still go to the pediatrician and have to live with thier parents? If you are 18 yrs old and American can you get an apartment or will you be to young

At 18 in America you can vote, join the military and are an adult to the criminal justice system, but for the rest of it...

It was my experience that even at 18 most places would not let you sign a legal contract. (Except for credit cards -- those they'll throw at you as soon as you enter college.) But for most other legal things -- loans, leases, renting a car, etc. you're not going to be able to do it without someone at least 21 years old co-signing the documents. I don't even know of a state that allows 18 year old to drink.

So the reality is that 18 isn't really considered an adult here in the US either.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby Infidel » Mon 05.28.2007 1:22 am

except when it comes to consequences.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Travis » Mon 05.28.2007 1:28 am

In california and nevada I know that you can get a car loan, you can rent a house or apartment ( with a pretty big deposit normally)...you can vote, you can get credit cards at 18 but here is the catch you have to have a job for longer than one year you have to be making over $2,500.00 a month after taxes, you also have to have a stable residance for the last 5 years and even then you might still need a co-signer for some things. Now I also know that most places will not let you rent a car or a hotel room until you are 25 years old.

The only reason I know most of this stuff is because I was 18 not too long ago and I had a motorcycle loan(by my self), a credit card (by my self), and a new truck loan ( grandfather had to co-sign) and then i went to get my own place and i was told i didn't have a lot of credit yet so i would need a co-signer but i decided against that.

I hope this is helpful :)
Last edited by Travis on Mon 05.28.2007 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
live life to its fullest!!!
Travis

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 05.28.2007 7:36 am

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the obvious:

20 is the legal age of majority in Japan. 18 is the legal age of majority in the US (with the unfathomable booze-from-21 exception, of course).
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby lalaith » Mon 05.28.2007 8:36 am

Mike Cash wrote:
I can't believe that no one has mentioned the obvious:

20 is the legal age of majority in Japan. 18 is the legal age of majority in the US (with the unfathomable booze-from-21 exception, of course).

No one mentioned the age of majority in the Japan. Both Infidel and myself mentioned it in the US though we didn't use that exact term.

lalaith wrote:
an adult to the criminal justice system, but for the rest of it...

Infidel wrote:
except when it comes to consequences.

Age of Majority Definition: The age of majority is the age at which an individual is considered an adult and responsible for your actions in the legal sense.

But, as far as I can tell, the idea of an age of majority doesn't mean much as far as the criminal justice system is concerned. (EDIT: I mean 18 as the "age of majority".) I've heard of legislation where children as young as 13 can be tried as adult if their crime is heinous enough.

And it's not just "unfathomable booze-from-21 exception" at 18. My post covered some of the things you still can't do at 18, "legal adult" or not.

So perhaps the following is a better definition of "age of majority," it certainly gets to the point I was making:

http://www.answers.com/topic/age-of-majority
The age at which a person, formerly a minor or an infant, is recognized by law to be an adult, capable of managing his or her own affairs and responsible for any legal obligations created by his or her actions.

A person who has reached the age of majority is bound by any contracts, deeds, or legal relationships, such as marriage, which he or she undertakes. In most states the age of majority is eighteen, but it may vary depending upon the nature of the activity in which the person is engaged. In the same state the age of majority for driving may be sixteen while that for drinking alcoholic beverages is twenty-one.

Another name for the age of majority is legal age.

Because that concept allows for the real life situation that you may be 15 and kill someone and be an adult. Or you may be 20 and not allowed to rent a car. (Though I doubt there's a law on the books saying 20 year olds can't rent cars, it's a de facto "age of majority" because you can't rent a car at 20.)

EDIT: I just thought of a great example of this definition of "age of majority". You don't reach the "age of majority" until you are 35 to be president of the USA.
Last edited by lalaith on Mon 05.28.2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby Kashin » Fri 06.08.2007 7:55 pm

All I seem to know about it is that in Japan 20 years old is when you can legally drink and smoke. Is that the same for "adult" things or is it 18 in Japan too?

And if I remember, here in america you can't rent a car by yourself until age 23 or something.

But 20 being the "age of majority" makes perfect sense. You're no longer a teenager so the next step is young adult at age 20. I would say let's adopt the age 20 standard here in America! (Just wait until i'm 20 in about 7 months) :p
What good is a farmer who tills the soil, but forgets the seed?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby SirFirestorm » Fri 06.08.2007 11:11 pm

From what I learned in business law, age of majority means you can legally enter into contracts and you are considered an adult.
Minors are under 18 and legally, any contract they enter is voidable which means they can escape liability for most contracts they enter, except marriage and military service. Exceptions are contracts considered to be "adult" activities such as booking a flight, buying/renting a car, house, booking a hotel. You can't break those contracts, but most places wont let you rent a car or house anyways.

In Travis' case most places won't sell you something like a motorcycle without a co-signer, that basically means the responsibility is all on the co-signer and age doesnt matter. The apartment thing sounds pretty shady, you have to be at least 18 to legally rent an apartment and most people wouldnt rent to you unless you had a steady job and a credit rating.

In America you can't rent a car till 25 though some large companies rent to people age 21-24 with a daily surcharge($30 or so). I think in New York and Michigan some companies will rent to 18-20 year olds with a huge daily charge (like $60 a day). But it is a liability thing, not law. car rental companies think you are gonna crash their car so they they impose fees and insurance charges unless you are 25 or older.

In the criminal system, the only time a minor could be tried as an adult would be in the case of murder, and even so rarely does it happen. Minors are rarely tried as adults even in murder cases, unless the murderer was really depraved and their age is close to 18, I dont think a 13 year would be considered, 15 is still pushing it, it would be very rare.
SirFirestorm

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan