Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How much do Japanese school uniforms cost on average?

How much do Japanese school uniforms cost on average?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

How much do Japanese school uniforms cost on average?

Postby Myuka » Mon 06.04.2007 11:50 pm

How much do japanese school unforms cost on average? Anyone have a guess or appoixmation? What about shoes? I don't mean fake uniforms that people who cosplay buy on ebay I mean the kind people actualy wear to school. How much do schools usualy charge or is that where you even buy them?
Myuka

RE: How much do Japanese school uniforms cost on average?

Postby Germany0 » Tue 06.05.2007 12:02 am

This situation really depends on the school. What kind of Japanese school will you be attending? That, and are you sure they have a uniform? I don't know how many schools in Japan use uniforms. With all these questions you are asking lately, have you ever tried Google? It's much quicker.
Last edited by Germany0 on Tue 06.05.2007 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Germany0

Postby shymomo » Tue 06.05.2007 12:05 am

I think the uniform costs around $200.
If you are going to tokyo, you could found the uniform in "Comme Ca", a very popular store for Japanese high school students, it is located across street from Harajuku Station, right next to Snoopy town.
shymomo

Postby lalaith » Tue 06.05.2007 12:22 am

Why don't you ask your host family? Even if they don't have a child in the school, certainly they are in a better position to find out what the uniform (if any) will cost.

Not sure what the Japanese word is for school uniform, but JDIC has this listed "ユニホーム" for "uniform", so this sentence might work:
学校のユニホーム はいくらですか。
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby richvh » Tue 06.05.2007 6:41 am

制服(せいふく) is the Japanese for uniform.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 06.05.2007 11:24 am

200 dollars? maybe for the boys sports coat. once the uniform is determined, then it's a matter of how much you want to modify it. since the uniform is all the same, it's the inside changes (to the silk color, and length and other additions that can't be seen) that really make the expense of the uniform.

for example, in a high school in Sakata, the boys would have differing silk colors inside their jackets based on what clubs they belonged to. some jackets would be overly long to make up for the fact that they had purchased pants that were overly short. (think of the overly baggy pants you see on some teenagers in america) and then go with pants that are like that but only 24 inches tall, then imagine that the belt is placed around the knees and the jacket needs to be long enough to cover this up.. (odd? maybe to you and I, but it was a style common of 1989 in the tohoku area..) I wish i had not misplaced my photos of some people i took pictures of.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Hijiku » Tue 06.05.2007 12:37 pm

$200 uniforms, a town named after a Peanuts character, uuughh, my head's spinning. jobs in Japan had better pay well for the prices of everything in that country.

Do the Japanese have the Salvation Army or their own version of it? i think they do, because they hate waste things, and those stores are a great place to give away and/or sell cloths, decorations, furiture..ect..
your life is meaningless, like a glow-stick.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny!!
(")_(")
Hijiku

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 06.05.2007 3:46 pm

shymomo wrote:

Based on what?

You've obviously never had to buy one for a kid.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 06.05.2007 3:49 pm

Hijiku wrote:
Do the Japanese have the Salvation Army

Yes.

i think they do, because they hate waste things

I can tell you didn't live here during the bubble economy. It was a time when one could get perfectly functional household electronics from the side of the road on trash day.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 06.05.2007 4:23 pm

I think you still can Mike, if you just look in the right areas. IIRC, Japan was one of the forrunners of selling used clothes by charging more than they cost when they were new. Those clothes were specifically from America, but I can still remember seeing some silver jab jeans for sale in Japan for the equivalent of 130 dollars, when the brand new pair in the US was 75. even if you factor shipping and storage, it's still a huge markup.
two_heads_talking

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Wed 06.06.2007 1:55 am

shymomo wrote:
If you are going to tokyo, you could found the uniform in "Comme Ca", a very popular store for Japanese high school students, it is located across street from Harajuku Station, right next to Snoopy town.

wait whaT?!? Comme Ca has 征服?

anyway mine was over over 500 and that was only because they had the most expensive designer in the city make it...I got lucky though... my friend in 倉敷 uniform was over 1,200 because well.. I dont know really but i believe that had more articles of clothing depending on seasons (like thicker pants just for the winter)

Best part is that I didnt get to keep it when I left...

wait I think thats the worst part...
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby a_iwai » Wed 06.06.2007 5:01 am

For boys : 17,300-28,200yen (about 144-235US$)
For girls :20,000-33,800yen (about 167-282US$)

From this web site, it was needed for buying a uniform of public junior high schools in Amagasaki city. And these are not included in price of shirt or blouse and tie.In addition, sportswear, sports shoes and indoor shoes are also needed in most of Japanese schools.
a_iwai

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 06.06.2007 8:07 am

a_iwai wrote:
For boys : 17,300-28,200yen (about 144-235US$)
For girls :20,000-33,800yen (about 167-282US$)

From this web site, it was needed for buying a uniform of public junior high schools in Amagasaki city. And these are not included in price of shirt or blouse and tie.In addition, sportswear, sports shoes and indoor shoes are also needed in most of Japanese schools.

Add all that stuff in and I think I was out about 80,000 when my son entered junior high school.

I thoroughly despise the whole system, since inevitably one ends up having to purchase items at a very small number of stores that have sweetheart deals with the schools. The whole thing is a giant kickback scamfest. Having a "sporting goods" store that handles the various uniforms for schools in a neighborhood is the next best thing to having a license to print your own money.
Mike Cash

Postby a_iwai » Wed 06.06.2007 9:06 am

Yes...it is too expensive. In Japan, educational expenses of a child are too high. Sometimes it is also discussed among Japanese as serious problem.

If Myuka-san will stay in Japan as an exchange student, there are some schools that lends a uniform free to an exchange student.

I think it is better for Myuka-san to ask the school about it.
a_iwai

Postby lalaith » Wed 06.06.2007 9:53 am

Doesn't anybody in Japan sew? One of the reasons I stopped sewing was because here in the US, with places like Wal-Mart and outlet stores, it's cheaper to buy clothes than to sew them. Were I in Japan, at those prices, I'd sew the uniforms.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan