Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji names

Kanji names

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Kanji names

Postby NZJutsu » Fri 12.14.2007 3:16 am

I got one of my Japanese friends to create a Kanji name for my first name, and since my name is Kyle (カイル) they came up with 海流.

Any thoughts?
NZJutsu

Postby ss » Fri 12.14.2007 3:45 am

My friend Doreen (ドリーン) told me someone told her 怒霊胤 was a nice kanji name, I felt like Image . I wanted to Imagethat person!
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby tsukinokami » Fri 12.14.2007 5:51 am

NZJutsu wrote:
I got one of my Japanese friends to create a Kanji name for my first name, and since my name is Kyle (カイル) they came up with 海流.

Any thoughts?

I was thinking Kaoru (カオル) 香る but it all depends on how one pronounces the name..
~|フャイを愛し|~
tsukinokami

Postby NZJutsu » Fri 12.14.2007 6:57 am

Perhaps it is my NZ accent that makes it カイル ^_^"

But I think that it is the most correct representation of the pronunciation. =D
NZJutsu

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 12.14.2007 10:35 am

Kyle should definitely be カイル.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 12.14.2007 6:58 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Kyle should definitely be カイル.

It's unfortunate that kairu is really hard for foreigners to pronounce. My brother (even after a year of Japanese) would constantly mess up and refer to himself as kaeru. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby NZJutsu » Fri 12.14.2007 7:06 pm

Yeah, I get that a lot... Whenever I introduce myself/get introduced theres always someone who goes 「ゲロゲロゲロ」
Last edited by NZJutsu on Fri 12.14.2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZJutsu

Postby Tspoonami » Fri 12.14.2007 7:42 pm

... I feel as though I'm resurrecting something.

AJBryant wrote:
不恋豚

Who doesn't like porkchops, afterall? ;)

Wouldn't it be Not-porkchops (of love)?

AJBryant wrote:
"Hi, my name is Middle-paddy Steel-man. This is my wife Snow-child, and our sons Fat-boy, Study, and our daughter Polite-child."

I am Sleeping Crow, and this is my brother, Leaping Horse.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby Shirasagi » Sat 12.15.2007 1:48 am

Kashin wrote:
Now think of this (hypothetically, of course): If I, a 100% gaijin, were to name my child (someday) a Japanese name, giving him/her a real kanji name (and the necessary romaji), then would they be allowed to use the kanji in Japan? I wonder if America would allow it, for that matter.

Here's what would happen. Your child would have to get an American passport before going to Japan. American passports are only in English, so the child's name would be written out in English (or romaji, if you prefer).

When your child went to Japan, they would have to get an Alien Registration Card. The name on the card must be exactly the same as on the passport, so here again it's written in English. Now, for anything that requires the use of ARC (a primary example being a bank account), they would have to write it as it is in the ARC, and thus, English.

Some places are very particular about it. When I applied for my bank account, I wrote out on the application

Reyer Joshua Aaron

Unfortunately, on my ARC it's written out (like my passport)

REYER JOSHUA AARON

So I had to redo the whole application. OTOH, for anything that just requires one to write one's name (train passes, some bills, bowling forms, etc.), your child could write it however they wanted. Romaji, katakana, kanji, whatever.

Incidently, the inkan I used for the above bank account is 鶴. Basically, Reyer, from German Reiher, meaning "heron" = 鷺(さぎ) (hence Shirasagi), herons are similar to cranes (鶴 つる), and 鶴-related inkan are easily found in the racks of any 100-yen shop or the like.

My first time in Japan, my inkan (chosen by my co-workers) was 城市. It can be read Shiroichi, Jouichi, Kiichi, or (as in my case) Joushi.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby Kuri » Sun 12.23.2007 10:21 pm

shiohigari wrote:
Well, I'd just like to know if any of you gaijins use Kanji for your names.

Wtf, I go out of my way to say words like Japanese instead of takas or syouwas and I get lumped together with a bunch of outsiders.

Any of you gaijin なんて

shiohigari wrote:
A Japanese friend of mine gave me a birthday present.

And what's more! By somebody who from context is likely not even japanese. Can you even throw around 内外 concepts like that?

shiohigari wrote:Is it a cool thing to do? Like, if a Japanese friends gives you Kanji for your name, does that mean that he or she thinks you're ok, cool etc? ~ or that you've reached some level of Japanese proficiency that you are part Japanese?!?

If someone gives you a nickname, a pleasant one at least, they are probably on friendly terms with you. Throwing 漢字 at a name that wasn't intended to be written that way is paramount to giving a nickname as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: Oh, I was gonna say what I think about using 漢字 for western names.

I say why not. My name isn't intended to be written in 片仮名 either, and isn't meant to be pronounced like that. More over 仮名 are just simplified 漢字, so write your name however you please.
Last edited by Kuri on Sun 12.23.2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, so like I\'m not good at formal stuff. Gimme a break, okay
Kuri

Postby AJBryant » Mon 12.24.2007 1:26 pm

Sigh.

The world is full of idjits.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Wakannai » Mon 12.24.2007 4:45 pm

If someone gives you a nickname, a pleasant one at least, they are probably on friendly terms with you. Throwing 漢字 at a name that wasn't intended to be written that way is paramount to giving a nickname as far as I'm concerned.

I knew some Chinese that gave me the nickname 永明 (Weng Meng) They said it meant always bright, but probably, it really meant know it all. :P

I still have it written down somewhere. I remember trying really hard to write it correctly and thought I did a good job at the time.

Now when I look at it, I can't help but be repulsed by it. Oh boy did my handwriting suck.
Last edited by Wakannai on Mon 12.24.2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wakannai

Postby tōkai devotee » Mon 12.31.2007 12:54 am

Kuri wrote:

shiohigari wrote:
A Japanese friend of mine gave me a birthday present.

And what's more! By somebody who from context is likely not even japanese.

Kuri, are you saying that when the OP says a Japanese friend gave him/her a present, they don't really mean it was a JAPANESE friend?! How can you say that the giver of the present wasn't Japanese when the OP has clearly stated that?
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan