Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Do the Japanese like black people?

Do the Japanese like black people?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Do the Japanese like black people?

Postby Miyu-rin » Tue 06.12.2007 1:28 pm

Ok, so at school last year my best friend and I were talking about visiting Japan when we get older. But I'm a bit scared, because we are black therefore we'll stick out like a sore thumb. x_O I don't like getting attention. *is very shy and self-concious* Do they even like black people? Heck, do they like アメリカ人 at all?? X_X Help! :(
User avatar
Miyu-rin
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu 03.22.2007 5:02 pm

RE: Do the Japanese like black people?

Postby richvh » Tue 06.12.2007 1:52 pm

See this thread.

Edit: Oh, and no need to revive it; it's pretty old.
Last edited by richvh on Tue 06.12.2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

RE: Do the Japanese like black people?

Postby Paragon » Tue 06.12.2007 10:05 pm

If the dude from gaijinsmash.net is any indication, children will REALLY like you.
ワツ アップ マイ ニッガ?
Paragon
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri 04.13.2007 3:45 pm

RE: Do the Japanese like black people?

Postby ruisu81 » Wed 06.13.2007 12:00 am

Wow, that guy is scarily funny...and depressing. But I think I found a blog I might actually read.
ruisu81
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu 03.15.2007 6:41 pm

RE: Do the Japanese like black people?

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 06.13.2007 5:15 am

Miyu-rin wrote:
Ok, so at school last year my best friend and I were talking about visiting Japan when we get older. But I'm a bit scared, because we are black therefore we'll stick out like a sore thumb. x_O I don't like getting attention. *is very shy and self-concious*


You don't have to be black to stick out like a sore thumb here. I'm white and I do a wonderful job of it.

Foreigners (white or black) don't draw 1% of the gawks and unwanted attention that we did back when I first came here. Put this particular concern out of your mind.

And though it is entirely unrelated to your post, I couldn't help but recall "Black People Love Us".
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

RE: Do the Japanese like black people?

Postby Miyu-rin » Wed 06.13.2007 1:35 pm

ありがとう みなさん!~ And yay! 子ども達 は 大好き です!! And that gaijinsmash.net thing is kinda weird/funny/depressing. o_O;; And I lol'd at the "Black People Love Us" thing. xD
User avatar
Miyu-rin
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu 03.22.2007 5:02 pm

RE: Do the Japanese like black people?

Postby Miyu-rin » Wed 06.13.2007 1:41 pm

But the thing is, みなさん, that I saw a few videos on Youtube about Japan being a racist country, and they are scaring me. .__.; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCeK0Trz9E0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoOuuzsLgCc

Some people say that it's not true, and some say that it is. I don't know who to believe! People are talking about Uyoku and Yakuza stuff and everyone is confusing me!! X___X Help!!
Last edited by Miyu-rin on Wed 06.13.2007 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Miyu-rin
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu 03.22.2007 5:02 pm

RE: Do the Japanese like black people?

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 06.13.2007 1:43 pm

to be honest, there are racist elements in every country. If that is all you look for, then you miss the big picture.

There are still people in Japan that believe the emperor is still a diety. But they are by far the minority not the majority.

so, remember that it is there, keep it in the back of your mind if you must, but don't dwell on it.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

RE: Do the Japanese like black people?

Postby ghosthacker » Fri 06.15.2007 11:37 am

I am black and during my time in Japan I did not encounter any racist Japanese. In fact I found the Japanese to be very nice and friendly compared to say the French. :D

Now there are some "japanese only" night clubs and bars in Tokyo, for example, but most of the ones I saw where in the Shinjuku area. I wouldn't recommend bar hopping in Shinjuku unless you go with a friend who knows the area. This is more so you won't get ripped off then anything else. (shinjuku reminded me of the old times square..kinda shady if you know what i mean)

Over all I think you will be surprised at the number of black people in Japan, so you won't stick out as much as you think.

Have fun!!
User avatar
ghosthacker
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu 12.28.2006 10:39 pm

RE: Do the Japanese like black people?

Postby Sumi » Fri 06.15.2007 12:49 pm

ghosthacker wrote:
I am black and during my time in Japan I did not encounter any racist Japanese. In fact I found the Japanese to be very nice and friendly compared to say the French. :D

Now there are some "japanese only" night clubs and bars in Tokyo, for example, but most of the ones I saw where in the Shinjuku area. I wouldn't recommend bar hopping in Shinjuku unless you go with a friend who knows the area. This is more so you won't get ripped off then anything else. (shinjuku reminded me of the old times square..kinda shady if you know what i mean)

Over all I think you will be surprised at the number of black people in Japan, so you won't stick out as much as you think.

Have fun!!


I shall keep that in mind. I heard that some of the bars that have "Japanese Only" aren't really the best places to go in the first place.
Last edited by Sumi on Fri 06.15.2007 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
User avatar
Sumi
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Thu 01.05.2006 11:34 pm

RE: Do the Japanese like black people?

Postby Sumi » Fri 06.15.2007 12:49 pm

Mike Cash wrote:And though it is entirely unrelated to your post, I couldn't help but recall "Black People Love Us".


That site still cracks me up.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
User avatar
Sumi
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Thu 01.05.2006 11:34 pm

RE: Do the Japanese like black people?

Postby aKuMu » Fri 06.15.2007 1:03 pm

Sumi wrote:
ghosthacker wrote:
I am black and during my time in Japan I did not encounter any racist Japanese. In fact I found the Japanese to be very nice and friendly compared to say the French. :D

Now there are some "japanese only" night clubs and bars in Tokyo, for example, but most of the ones I saw where in the Shinjuku area. I wouldn't recommend bar hopping in Shinjuku unless you go with a friend who knows the area. This is more so you won't get ripped off then anything else. (shinjuku reminded me of the old times square..kinda shady if you know what i mean)

Over all I think you will be surprised at the number of black people in Japan, so you won't stick out as much as you think.

Have fun!!


I shall keep that in mind. I heard that some of the bars that have "Japanese Only" aren't really the best places to go in the first place.


You could pull a Debito and persist to enter and get them on the nerves ;)
aKuMu
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Sun 12.04.2005 8:19 pm
Native language: German

RE: Do the Japanese like black people?

Postby Kashin » Fri 06.15.2007 3:50 pm

Would those Japanese Only bars and ofuro be not so much a deep rooted racism, but rather they wish to preserve the traditions and etiquette without having ignorant gaijin coming in and disrupting things? And from that first video, most of those pictures did say No gaijin without a Japanese escort. I would guess that the Japanese escort would be there to teach the gaijin the proper manners and behaviour inside the establishment.

Here in America we have class-discrimination, think of Country Clubs and Yacht Clubs, etc. Things reserved only for the upper-classes. Even if you earned the money to join, you'd still have to go through an interview to see if you're "club material" They're Members Only but we don't have any legislation to combat those. I thought the video was a little dumb to put the "Members Only" sign at the end. Being a private establishment has nothing to do with racism.
What good is a farmer who tills the soil, but forgets the seed?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
User avatar
Kashin
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri 05.25.2007 3:19 am

RE: Do the Japanese like black people?

Postby jrivera » Fri 06.15.2007 6:47 pm

I noticed some of those signs had translations into Spanish as well. Is there really that much of a latin tourism influx to warrant posting the sign? I guess the easy answer is obviously yes because they posted the sign. I just find it surprising. There was also one sign that was possibly in an easterm European language that I am unable to recognize.
jrivera
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed 08.30.2006 5:43 pm

RE: Do the Japanese like black people?

Postby izokon » Fri 06.15.2007 6:52 pm

Here is a quote from http://www.debito.org/roguesgallery.html on the "Members Only" signs:
..."Members Only" signs (Japanese are automatically "members", naturally--especially since the signs are not even in Japanese)...

It seems the "Members Only" signs can be used to keep foreigners away in a more legal way.
izokon
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu 12.22.2005 9:11 am

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests