Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Garage Sales

Garage Sales

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Garage Sales

Postby Hatori » Thu 06.14.2007 12:46 am

Do the Japanese hold their own garage sales? I'm having one tomarrow and the day after, so the question just came to mind.
Thanks for reading! :D
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

RE: Garage Sales

Postby Kashin » Thu 06.14.2007 5:54 am

A little off topic, but I once went to a garage sale here in Colorado and it was a Japanese guy selling out of his sisters' house. (his sister had recently passed away) It was the best garage sale I ever went to (and i've been to some good ones). I got two Kagoshima window banners (don't know exactly what they are, but that's what I call them), I got a cast iron teapot, some authentic green teas (one of them had puffed rice in it!), some random chopsticts and stuff, and the best of all, my little wooden tanuki figurine that hangs from my rear-view mirror! There was alot of stuff that I passed up. I wish I could go again there were some Japanese art books, postcards, dolls, dishes, all sorts of stuff that I wish I could rummage through again. :(

But as far as actual garage sales in Japan, I have no idea! ;)
What good is a farmer who tills the soil, but forgets the seed?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby flammable hippo » Thu 06.14.2007 7:25 am

From what I've heard, garage sales in Japan aren't too popular since people don't feel like buying somebody else's used stuff. They'd rather buy it new.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby clay » Thu 06.14.2007 9:06 am

Not many people in Japan have a yard or if they do, there usually isn't enough space to set up shop. I went to one のみいち (literally, flea market) but it was very different from US flea markets. It was clean. (nothing against flea markets here in the States - I love 'em)
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 06.14.2007 9:08 am

flammable hippo wrote:
From what I've heard, garage sales in Japan aren't too popular since people don't feel like buying somebody else's used stuff. They'd rather buy it new.

That old chestnut should have been retired a very short while after the bubble economy collapsed.

Garage sales aren't common (never seen or even heard of one here), but flea markets are fairly common. Also, "recycle" shops (read: junk shops) have sprouted up like dandelions. The large used book chain "Book Off" operates sister stores such as "Hard Off", which is to used goods what "Book Off" is to used books.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Dehitay » Thu 06.14.2007 9:47 am

This reminds me about something I heard in this forum a while back. When people who have lived in Japan for a while go back to their home countries, they have a lot of acquired possessions. Is there a special kind of shop that buys all of these kinds of things so a future gaijin like me could buy all of them in a single place for a discount? Or do they get sold into a multitude of different shops?
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby keatonatron » Thu 06.14.2007 11:48 am

Dehitay wrote:
This reminds me about something I heard in this forum a while back. When people who have lived in Japan for a while go back to their home countries, they have a lot of acquired possessions. Is there a special kind of shop that buys all of these kinds of things so a future gaijin like me could buy all of them in a single place for a discount? Or do they get sold into a multitude of different shops?

When foreigners leave they have a "Sayonara Sale". Usually they just put an ad in one of the English newspapers explaining what furniture and stuff they have for sale.

I think it's not that Japanese don't like buying used stuff, it's that they don't like the idea of interacting with strangers and purchasing the stranger's things--especially because there's no security in that type of purchase (who can you complain to if the item turns out to be not what you thought it was?).

Recycle shops are quite popular and seemingly successful... I'd say they're the Japanese equivalent of a yard sale (much easier to let someone else take it and sell it for you! Even though you don't get any money for it...)

EDIT: Small, neighborhood recycle shops usually take your junk but don't pay you anything. Book Off will actually buy your stuff.
Last edited by keatonatron on Thu 06.14.2007 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 06.14.2007 11:56 am

what about those furuiya shops (like antique shops) but not everything is old or overly used. I know they some around Sendai, as I managed to pick up an ivory tiled bamboo backed mahjong set. Unfortunately one of the tiles was damaged but hey, for the price of a plastic set, i have a game i can display and use if I ever feel the need.

I also managed to start my Hokuto no ken series (something I need to complete one of these days) by picking up the books at pennies on the dollar.. or yen on the sen.. hehe
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Thu 06.14.2007 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby Kashin » Thu 06.14.2007 2:52 pm

I love flea-markets. I'll have to go to one when I'm there. So there are a type of Japanese thrift-store? I found a matsuri shirt at a thrift-store once. I recently found a Yukata at one too. I would think with things being so expensive new in Japan, one would ideally want to do most of his shopping at a second hand store.

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 06.14.2007 3:39 pm

Not really, the Japanese are willing to pay lots of money for new things. And they work long hard hours in order to do just that..
two_heads_talking

Postby Kashin » Thu 06.14.2007 4:04 pm

I guess i'm the same way. I prefer new things and if I want something badly enough, I will save up the money to pay full price, but I also like to get the best deal on things that aren't so important to me, like books or DVDs. That may just be the cheapskate American in me talking. Most of the second-hand stores and flea-markets are probably for gaijin or visitors anyway, right?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 06.14.2007 5:00 pm

I suppose it depends on the type of flea market. most flea markets that I know of (of course most are in the US so it might not be of much relevance) sell new stuff that's not so much {"name brand"} for a bit cheaper than you would buy the name brand stuff for.

like buying sets of knives off the knife channel for a set of 150 peices for 300 dollars and then reselling the stuff for 10 dollars apiece. or 5 even.. nice nifty profit there..

as for used cd's dvd's and books, well that's a whole nother ball of wax. I think japan actually has dedicated used stores for those items.
two_heads_talking

Postby Hatori » Thu 06.14.2007 5:25 pm

See me, I'll buy whatever I want whether it's used or not. lol.... I know, I'm so cheap. I'd rather look at garage sales and thrift shops than go to the mall because the mall is overpriced for th crap they want you to buy.
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby tanuki » Thu 06.14.2007 5:34 pm

Hatori wrote:
the mall is overpriced for th crap they want you to buy.

Yeah, I'd rather make my own crap.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Hatori » Thu 06.14.2007 9:06 pm

tanuki wrote:
Hatori wrote:
the mall is overpriced for the crap they want you to buy.

Yeah, I'd rather make my own crap.

I agree with you. :P
---
But, I mean, I just can't afford clothes from the mall. I'd rather buy something I'd enjoy than overpriced clothing and various items.
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan