Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Garage Sales

Garage Sales

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Garage Sales

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 06.15.2007 1:00 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
Not really, the Japanese are willing to pay lots of money for new things. And they work long hard hours in order to do just that..

[Side Rant]

You think people in Japan work long hours to get more money? We work long hours because it's what's expected, and going home early is looked down upon. When I first entered my current job, I got paid overtime.. But only for time over 40 hours a month. Now that I became a "manager" (of what, I'm not quite sure) I get no more overtime. Many of my friends are the same.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 06.15.2007 9:10 am

hairsenbon, i was actually being facetious. in both aspects. it's a circle of working hard, spending hard, playing hard, but with no real enjoyment from the experience. everything is expected, work, play, and money. the friends I knew in the marketplace, salaryman areas, were always worn out, undermotivated and underappreciated.

sorry if MY intent was lost in my little bit of tongue-in-cheek humor.. :(
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Kashin » Fri 06.15.2007 3:17 pm

two_heads, those smilies could save you from a lot of misinterpreted posts! :D
What good is a farmer who tills the soil, but forgets the seed?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 06.16.2007 7:49 am

Kashin wrote:
two_heads, those smilies could save you from a lot of misinterpreted posts! :D

Relying on smilies is nothing but intellectual laziness.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

RE: ~ TT Garage Sales ~

Postby inamorata » Sat 06.16.2007 8:05 am

flammable hippo wrote:
From what I've heard, garage sales in Japan aren't too popular since people don't feel like buying somebody else's used stuff. They'd rather buy it new.

OOoo i wanted to say why would anyone or very clearly, how do people sell off their garages just_like-that. if anyone would ask me of my standard Seven' s books, one can just get them on my shelves..so u guys understand how it wd be for a garage-on-sale for me...just kidding B)

i highly 'ppreciate garage sales ;)
inamorata

Postby SirFirestorm » Sat 06.16.2007 12:53 pm

Smilies are for posts not witty enough to be sarcastic
SirFirestorm

Postby Tspoonami » Sat 06.16.2007 1:20 pm

tanuki wrote:
Yeah, I'd rather make my own crap.

Why settle for an inferior homemade product when you can buy a world famous, high-quality, professional crap?
Last edited by Tspoonami on Sat 06.16.2007 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby Hatori » Sat 06.16.2007 1:23 pm

Tspoonami wrote:
tanuki wrote:
Yeah, I'd rather make my own crap.

Why settle for an inferior homemade product when you can buy a world famous, high-quality, professional crap?

I agree with Tanuki and SPOON! :D
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Kashin » Sat 06.16.2007 2:48 pm

Smilies are to clarify wether one is serious or not. It doesn't matter what you write. It's hard to tell from text the body language of the poster so you don't know his intention. Smilies would be an extension of one's body into text.

Smilies have settled what could have been heated arguments because someone didn't detect the joke, as you would say in someone's voice or facial expression.
Last edited by Kashin on Sat 06.16.2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby SenescenceReign » Sat 06.16.2007 3:02 pm

I agree. Smilies are to internet what inflection and tone are to speaking. Sometimes it's hard for us more sarcastic types to remember that other people can't tell when we're being sarcastic; smilies are there to do that for us.
/relurk
SenescenceReign

Postby zengargoyle » Sat 06.16.2007 3:04 pm

we have Book Off here in L.A., i haven't visited yet, but it's on my list...

for the casual reader, i recommend the neomarxisme blog, there's a lot of interesting articles and discussion there about things related to the economic environment in Japanese culture... maybe it's all cr*p, but it's usually an interesting read.

on the work stuff, we have the same thing here (at least in California), a recent court ruling against some entertainment game programming company made the difference between hourly workers (exempt, eligible for overtime pay) and salaried workers (non-exempt, get paid by the month, not eligible for overtime pay) a big deal, it made California employers all paranoid. before the ruling, our hourly employees would just submit a 40 hours worth of work per week timesheet and pretend that they were salaried workers. after the ruling, our non-exempt people have to keep track of their time at work, and have to follow all the rules about taking breaks and lunch... if they accidentally work 6 hours without taking a break, they get an extra hour of pay. it's all 9-5 with two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch and follow the rules. while i'm an exempt salaried person who gets paid $X per month no matter how much i have to work.

so i sorta feel Harisenbon's pain.... six months ago, everybody pretended that they were salaried workers and just did the job. now half the people are counting hours and get paid 1.5 time for overtime and 2.0 time for holidays, and they can claim overtime for anything over the 8 hours of on-clock time at work... while i get to work any amount of time at any hour of the day even over holidays for the same $X per month. i don't know who has the better deal.
zengargoyle

Postby SirFirestorm » Sat 06.16.2007 4:23 pm

guess my last post needed a smiley? =(

It was actually an attempt at internet humor courtesy of the World of Warcraft forums.

"Tact is for people who arent witty enough to be sarcastic" I think if you are good enough at it, you need no smilies. =|
SirFirestorm

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 06.16.2007 9:53 pm

Kashin wrote:
Smilies are to clarify wether one is serious or not. It doesn't matter what you write. It's hard to tell from text the body language of the poster so you don't know his intention. Smilies would be an extension of one's body into text.

Smilies have settled what could have been heated arguments because someone didn't detect the joke, as you would say in someone's voice or facial expression.

Believe it or not, I know all that.

And relying on them is intellectual laziness.
Mike Cash

Postby Kashin » Sun 06.17.2007 1:19 am

Mike Cash, i must have misinterpreted. You meant relying on them from the receiving end? In that case I would agree. I thought you meant using them is intellectual laziness. I wasn't sure how using smilies for emphasis of simple statements would be lazy. It's all just communication.

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 06.17.2007 5:12 am

Kashin wrote:
Mike Cash, i must have misinterpreted. You meant relying on them from the receiving end? In that case I would agree. I thought you meant using them is intellectual laziness. I wasn't sure how using smilies for emphasis of simple statements would be lazy. It's all just communication.

You came very close to hitting the nail on the head. I do hope you missed your thumb.

Why would you think I meant using them is intellectual laziness when I said relying on them is intellectual laziness? If I had meant using, I would have written using. (See: Rule 13)

And I did mean on the part of the person making a post.
Mike Cash

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan