Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - should I buy my computer/mp3 player in japan?

should I buy my computer/mp3 player in japan?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

should I buy my computer/mp3 player in japan?

Postby Beck02 » Sun 06.17.2007 11:09 pm

I'm studying abroad in Japan this fall, and I need to buy a laptop and an mp3 player. Do you think I should get these in Japan?

(I came close to buying Creative 60gb, when I learn that there is a new slimmed down model coming out in Japan...)
Beck02

RE: should I buy my computer/mp3 player in japan?

Postby Infidel » Sun 06.17.2007 11:25 pm

Well, an MP3 player from Japan will display song title information correctly if you listen to Japanese mp3s that don't have romanized titles.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Kozue » Sun 06.17.2007 11:26 pm

It's probably more expensive there than here. I'd check out a few Japanese sites to see the prices. They use the same plugs so you don't have to worry about that.

I personally bought everything in America, it's just easier, I can read the terms and conditions of the warranty, and you know, the manuals and stuff.
Kozue

Postby Kozue » Sun 06.17.2007 11:27 pm

Infidel wrote:
Well, an MP3 player from Japan will display song title information correctly if you listen to Japanese mp3s that don't have romanized titles.

My iPod is from the U.S. and not only does it display Kana and Kanji correctly when I play Japanese music that's been tagged in Japanese, but I could actually switch the entire interface to Japanese so that all of my menus are in Japanese if I felt like it.

I don't know about other machines, but for the iPod that's the case. :)
Kozue

Postby a_iwai » Mon 06.18.2007 12:06 am

Most of computers which are sold in Japan are preinstalled by Japanese version of Windows Vista as OS. Of course English version installed model are also sold, but there are some difficulty to find it.

If attached AC adaptor is corresponding to the exchange 100V, there are no need to buy these in Japan, I think
a_iwai

Postby ghosthacker » Mon 06.18.2007 12:27 am

If you are going to Japan for an extended stay then I would suggest that you buy the laptop/mp3 player at home. It will be a lot cheaper and with an adapter you should have no problems using them.
ghosthacker

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan