Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Moving to Japan...

Moving to Japan...

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Moving to Japan...

Postby Shaelmone » Tue 06.19.2007 5:50 pm

Ok, i gathered from reading some other threads on this site that you people here seem quite friendly and helpful so i wonder if you could help me.

I've always had an interest in Japan since i was young, only recently have i started to learn the language seriously (and i'm loving it by the way, this website is great to) and i really am planning to move to Japan in some years to come. I want to live and work there... ofcourse, but i am trying to figure something out maybe someone could help me here.

I'm 20 and i live in England and currently work for my dad. I'm saving money big time for plans for the future. But i wonder, what will i have to do to get a decent job in Japan so that i can live there? I was discussing this with my brother and he says that if i saved up enough money i could move to Japan and then support myself whilst doing some college course to qualify for a job... Or then again i was told to get a trade from England and then take that overbroad, but i don't think that would do anygood in Japan.

Will i have trouble finding work in Japan? Is it a good idea to save enough money and then do some college course when i'm there? Sorry for the long post ;)

I'm not fussy about what i do for work, I like whatever i do as long as i'm good at it and enjoy it, i'm sure anyone else would agree. Thanks for any reply!

It's a long long way before i would be able to move anywhere but i will be travelling places :) I just want to know where i stand.
Shaelmone

RE: Moving to Japan...

Postby AJBryant » Tue 06.19.2007 7:00 pm

Well, for starters, unless you have a college degree, almost every visa (short of "entertainment visas") are not going to happen.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Shaelmone » Wed 06.20.2007 5:51 am

Thank you Tony. I'm trying to look into this more to see what restrictions there are.

Are you saying i would have to get a college degree over in England before i can even think about moving to Japan? I would have thought that if i could speak the language and were capable of doing some sort of work that didn't require great grades, i could work whilst studying over there for something better. But if they don't accept that then it's better i find out now i guess.
Shaelmone

Postby AJBryant » Wed 06.20.2007 7:53 am

Pretty much, yes.

Japan already has all the unskilled labor working at convenience stores and department stores that they need from their own population. They want to know you are employable, and by and large the only jobs you can get will want to see that diploma.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby lame_duck » Wed 06.20.2007 8:47 am

If I may add my two cents, couldn't he get a sponsored visa? If you can get a company to hare you, then they can get you in on a visa for what type of work you'll be doing. At least, that was the way it was explained to me when I asked about people such as myself.

[rant] It's a shame that you have to have 4 years of college, 2-3 of which is spent on crap you don't need, to get anywhere. I have 4 years of college but not my deploma because I still need Filler Class 101/201, Embarass-yourself-on-stage 101, and he ever-popular Same-shizz-you-did-in-high-schol 301.

I love college sooooooooooooo much. They keep coming up with piss for me to take until I finally ran out of money to go. Middle-class is so lucky! [/rant]

Whoops! Submitted before I got back to to the [happy] tag. Anyway, this is how one of my friends got into the country. He and I both have taken the same courses for the IT field from the same tech college and have had about the same experience with a full-blown college. He got a small, at the time, company to hire him and they went before immigration to plead is case. Basically, if you push hard enough you will get in but be warned, once you lose your job they will be on your arse about staying in the country. He had a Russian friend to lose his job, he too wasn't a college grad, and they rode him for 3 weeks after it came up that he was unemployed.

There... done... lol Isn't it funny that someone can't keep you from getting a job because of skin color or racial background but they can over a sheet of paper that is only as good as the person holding it? Gotta love this world.
Last edited by lame_duck on Wed 06.20.2007 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I\'m far from perfect, so forgive me for my faults.
lame_duck

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 06.20.2007 8:54 am

Also, Japan is not a country that lets in foreigners very easily, and in particular, they aren't very amenable to "come here and bum around while you look for a job." In most cases, to get anything beyond a short visa, you're going to already have to have a job set up before you go.

then do some college course when i'm there

What college courses? You're not going to be able to study at a Japanese college without college-level Japanese, unless you go through some sort of study-abroad program through a college in England.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Shaelmone » Wed 06.20.2007 10:00 am

Right, thanks for all your replies. This does show how difficult things are, but i guess if i persist and really want this to work, then i will make this happen whatever i have to do. As i said it's years away before i would consider moving abroad and i want to do some travelling before that.

I do not know what the future holds for me :)

I just wanted to see what sort of situations i would come up againts so thanks for helping me understand that.
Shaelmone

Postby lame_duck » Wed 06.20.2007 6:28 pm

You can do it, you just have to work at it. Four years of college is a free pass to a lot of things, but that doesn't mean not having one will stop you in life. Not everyone is blinded by the "coooolage stoodints r teh bast!" lie.
lame_duck

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 06.20.2007 6:38 pm

Do you have a concrete suggestion for how to move to Japan without a college degree? If you do, please share it.

EDIT: Actually, there is one -- marry a Japanese citizen.
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Wed 06.20.2007 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby AJBryant » Wed 06.20.2007 7:33 pm

The only other one is getting a student visa, where you're going to Japan to study -- but then you need to have a metric buttload of money, as people on student visas are expected to be STUDENTS and there are limits as to the amount of part-time work you can do.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 06.20.2007 7:52 pm

Unless they give out positive thinking or "I have a dream" visas.

Basically the long and short of what we're trying to say is that Japan is not going to let someone into their country for more than a short period of time without a specific reason -- i.e. a job that you have already been hired for, foreign study that you have already been accepted for, or a husband/wife. Otherwise, the government will not grant you a long-term visa, and your stay in the country will be short (or illegal). It's unfortunate, but the idea of "first I'll worry about getting there, and then we'll see what happens" is simply not realistic if you're talking about a long-term stay.

I'm not saying this to discourage you. My intent is not to say "give up," but to say "look for opportunities that give you a realistic chance of doing what you want to do."

(This applies mostly to America; I vaguely remember hearing that some other nationalities can get year visas.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby colind » Thu 06.21.2007 12:48 am

Anyone from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, or Korea, Germany, the United Kingdom and Ireland can apply for a Working Holiday Visa. If you meet the conditions of course, which are less strict than the other working visas. Basically, it looks like you need to show them you have enough money to travel to Japan, enough money to live, not be a criminal, be healthy, between the ages of 18 and 30, and show them your plans in Japan.
More info about the working holiday visa
colind

Postby Shaelmone » Thu 06.21.2007 3:17 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Unless they give out positive thinking or "I have a dream" visas.

Basically the long and short of what we're trying to say is that Japan is not going to let someone into their country for more than a short period of time without a specific reason -- i.e. a job that you have already been hired for, foreign study that you have already been accepted for, or a husband/wife. Otherwise, the government will not grant you a long-term visa, and your stay in the country will be short (or illegal). It's unfortunate, but the idea of "first I'll worry about getting there, and then we'll see what happens" is simply not realistic if you're talking about a long-term stay.

I'm not saying this to discourage you. My intent is not to say "give up," but to say "look for opportunities that give you a realistic chance of doing what you want to do."

(This applies mostly to America; I vaguely remember hearing that some other nationalities can get year visas.)

Don't worry my friend ;) i don't feel discouraged. I'm glad i know what i'm up against.

At the end of the day it's just a "dream" shall we say to actually move to some place i would rather prefer to live. I haven't got a concrete plan of how to move there because i only recently considered that i would actually do it if i got good enough at the language.

Even if i am not able to move there in the future, i shall deffinately be taking holidays there and take some family and friends to show them the beauty of the country. :D It's years away and i have only just started saving money for travelling.

When i told my dad, he thought it was a great idea aswell. And he knew (and ofcorse i knew) that it would be a difficult process to attempt. And he said to me, "It doesn't matter where you live or what you do in life, as long as your happy and you're good to those around you ;)" That made my day lol.

Thanks all,
Shaelmone

Postby lame_duck » Thu 06.21.2007 4:31 am

As much as respect you AJBryant, I have checked the requirements at the Embassy of Japan's website and what you say vs. what they say is different. I have went through the various visas on there and have found that even if it list a college diploma, you can submit your experience in the field instead. I'm not saying they are not hard on non-college people or that you're flat-out lying, but generalizing is a real hope-crusher for some.

I know people that live there, are doing great, and all without a college diploma. All you have to do is work hard and prove yourself, just like with anything else. It may take a couple of tries, but anyone can do it. So in closing, please don't generalize.
lame_duck

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 06.21.2007 9:07 am

"Hope" is overrated in situations like this. If you want to move to Japan, what you need to do is research your opportunities and do what you can to work towards fulfilling those. Just sitting around and hoping isn't going to solve anything.

All you have to do is work hard and prove yourself

Work hard at what? Prove yourself to who? You said you know people who are there without a diploma; what are they doing? How did they get there? If you can provide specifics it's much more helpful to the original poster.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan