Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Moving to Japan...

Moving to Japan...

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Moving to Japan...

Postby LunaticHigh » Thu 06.21.2007 9:51 am

All you can really do besides getting a bachelors degree would probably be to send some headshots, resumes, demo tapes, etc. to talent agencies.

Other than that there are probably no other legal ways.

Well, semi legally, you could also possibly join a dojo and stay on a cultural visa whilst giving private English lessons (probably illegal with no visa, but who cares?), all the while bar hopping and looking for that Japanese women of your dreams, get married and get that spousal visa.

I'd get the degree.

Also I'm curious as to what does Japan has that your country hasn't? If you want to start a new life in Japan don't expect the luxuries of a large salary, a giant mansion and a car.
Last edited by LunaticHigh on Thu 06.21.2007 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
LunaticHigh

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 06.21.2007 10:42 am

LunaticHigh wrote:

Well, semi legally, you could also possibly join a dojo and stay on a cultural visa whilst giving private English lessons (probably illegal with no visa, but who cares?), all the while bar hopping and looking for that Japanese women of your dreams, get married and get that spousal visa. .

suggestions like this are better left unposted, unsaid and even unthought of. We don't need to suggest to people how to bypass any laws.. :o :)
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby LunaticHigh » Thu 06.21.2007 11:18 am

Hmm, than you could've PMd me instead of quoting it. It's not all that bad. Not as bad as the motives behind some of the girls in the "friends" section. xD Also, are you one of those forum guys who are always gunning for a mod spot? Or are you just exercising seniority in an attempt to guide a noobie? Comments like "We don't need to do this..." are usually made by moderators and not members. (Although you were probably right) :D
Last edited by LunaticHigh on Thu 06.21.2007 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
LunaticHigh

Postby tanuki » Thu 06.21.2007 1:11 pm

Hmm, than you could've PMd me instead of quoting it.

Personally, I think public humilliation is much more effective. ;)

Also, are you one of those forum guys who are always gunning for a mod spot? Or are you just exercising seniority in an attempt to guide a noobie? Comments like "We don't need to do this..." are usually made by moderators and not members.

So what? What a pointless post. :|
Last edited by tanuki on Thu 06.21.2007 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 06.21.2007 2:36 pm

LunaticHigh wrote:
Hmm, than you could've PMd me instead of quoting it. It's not all that bad. Not as bad as the motives behind some of the girls in the "friends" section. xD Also, are you one of those forum guys who are always gunning for a mod spot? Or are you just exercising seniority in an attempt to guide a noobie? Comments like "We don't need to do this..." are usually made by moderators and not members. (Although you were probably right) :D

actually no i don't gun for any position. and I don't believe I have any seniority here other than maybe more Japanese experience than some.

and to be honest, even the members help moderate these forums which makes it a better place for everyone. peer pressure is more efficient than scare tactics..
two_heads_talking

Postby lame_duck » Thu 06.21.2007 2:39 pm

One of them is in the IT field. Right now he is doing server/desktop maintenance, site installs/upgrades, and a bit of programming. Well... He calls it programming but I call it database modification. Same thing, I guess. The Russian doob, which I don't know if he is from the US or not, is there on a skilled worker visa. I think he does metal work or something. I know he was interested in doing work for bike builders.

The IT field is funny... You really don't have to go into college to get into it, but people usually want you to take a year or so of classes and if they are hands on it's all the better. I need to ask my friend what visa he is under... I emailed a question to the embassy about what IT falls under, because I would think it would be skilled labor, but I still haven't gotten a reply. :/
I\'m far from perfect, so forgive me for my faults.
lame_duck

Postby AJBryant » Thu 06.21.2007 8:15 pm

LunaticHigh wrote:
Comments like "We don't need to do this..." are usually made by moderators and not members. (Although you were probably right) :D

Yes, he is right. And the collective "we" is people here.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby spin13 » Thu 06.21.2007 11:36 pm

LunaticHigh wrote:
Well, semi legally, you could also possibly join a dojo and stay on a cultural visa whilst giving private English lessons (probably illegal with no visa, but who cares?), all the while bar hopping and looking for that Japanese women of your dreams, get married and get that spousal visa.

First, ignoring the legality of what you posted, it would be an incredible diservice to the Japanese martial arts to use entry to a dojo solely as a means of obtaining a visa/stepping stone. Such an unethical, undedicated act would not only hamper the ability of serious foreign students to join that particular dojo in the future, but likely ensure that you are there for no more than 6 months or a year (the duration of a single cultural visa). Hardly a step in the right direction for somebody who seems to be expressing a desire to live in Japan long term and is hopefully sane enough not to marry within such a short period, don't you think?

As for the legal aspects of what you have posted, not only will you be deported from Japan upon being exposed, but the guarantor/sponsor of your visa may face significant problems, legal or otherwise. Considering the already considerable difficulty of obtaining free guarantorship/sponsorship this would be a diservice to not only the budo community but to any and all foreigns seeking any sort of credit in Japan. Note that my general use of of the word credit refers to obtaining visas, leasing property, or buying goods on monetary credit.

LunaticHigh wrote:
Also I'm curious as to what does Japan has that your country hasn't?

This, however, is a good question and should be asked to everybody who posts questions similar to that of the original poster.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 06.22.2007 7:28 am

People from first-world nations and without college degrees tend not to do very well in Japan, or to remain very long.

I could elaborate, but I really don't feel like it. It would just be retyping the same crap I've typed a zillion times elsewhere already.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Shaelmone » Fri 06.22.2007 12:02 pm

spin13 wrote:

LunaticHigh wrote:
Also I'm curious as to what does Japan has that your country hasn't?

This, however, is a good question and should be asked to everybody who posts questions similar to that of the original poster.

To answer the question, i believe i have already answered in the first post. Japan has always been a country i was interested in as a child, i like the culture and the beauty of the country. It's got nothing to do with "what has Japan got that your country hasn't". England is a great country aswell, it has amazing sites and history.

And no, i'm not expecting better money in Japan, and i'm not out to find a Japanese chick to marry just so i can move to Japan. I'm not expecting loads of money and the best job in the world and a fast car and a big house. I just want to live happy, which i will with whatever i do.

I'm very greatfull for your responses but please, settle down a bit. Not every person with a desire to live somewhere different in the world is going to do it illeagally. And not all people with a desire to do something different is thinking about moving somewhere where they can make alot of money quick. Don't judge a person if you don't actually know them.
Shaelmone

Postby SirFirestorm » Fri 06.22.2007 4:13 pm

maybe you should go visit Japan and see what it is like over there before you make life changing decisions.
SirFirestorm

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 06.22.2007 4:47 pm

That's another thing. I was over there for 2 years -- the original plan was 3, but 2 was more than enough. I doubt that I could ever live in Japan permanently, although I probably will go back there again for research and such.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 06.22.2007 4:53 pm

When I was a missionary, I enjoyed my time. but honestly I was not in the standard work place. In the military I was there on and off. I have friends that live there and they seem ok with it, I could not. It's hard enough raising kids in a country that normally accepts them..
two_heads_talking

Postby SenescenceReign » Mon 06.25.2007 5:53 pm

Shaelmone wrote:
Don't judge a person if you don't actually know them.

What magical non-judgemental world do you live in? This is the internet! All we do is judge!

Edited for having the wrong name listed!!!
Last edited by SenescenceReign on Tue 06.26.2007 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/relurk
SenescenceReign

Postby Midori Sento » Mon 06.25.2007 11:21 pm

wow... anyway, best of luck to the original poster, I too would like to go to Japan and live there for sometime, maybe even teach there at some point. I am planning to stay for an academic year ( student visa) through KCP int. It's not as expensive as most think, although it is costly. Maybe you should do a study abroad program for a summer to see how Japan is like. That might give you a better perspective on things. All I have left to say is good luck, take care and most importantly have fun ~_^b
The absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence.
Midori Sento

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan