Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Moving out of your house.

Moving out of your house.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Moving out of your house.

Postby Hatori » Mon 06.25.2007 12:19 am

Hello! Well, recently I was reading some manga, yes basically EVERY thread I make I have to relate it to something I read in manga, I've noticed that there are lots of people under the age of 18 that seem to live on their own.
What I'm asking is that legal in Japan?? Is this normal? I mean, c'mon! Having your fourteen-year-old living by himself??
This was the late 1960s, but my mom and aunt shared a rented apartment while in high school living on their own. I honestly don't know if this is legal in America while under 18 nowadays either. :o
Thanks for reading! :D
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

RE: Moving out of your house.

Postby SirFirestorm » Mon 06.25.2007 12:40 am

It is less common in the US for students under 18 to have their own apartment, but in Japan lots of students have green hair and eyes the size of dinner plates... or so I would believe from my experiences in reading manga. Real world... hmm not so much.
Last edited by SirFirestorm on Mon 06.25.2007 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirFirestorm

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 06.25.2007 12:46 am

Keep in mind that manga are escapist fantasy entertainment. You may as well ask if it is common for people to have green hair and eyes the size of dinner plates. Or if most kids have rotund blue cats that walk upright, speak, and pull the darnedest things out of his pocket.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.25.2007 3:21 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Keep in mind that manga are escapist fantasy entertainment. You may as well ask ... if most kids have rotund blue cats that walk upright, speak, and pull the darnedest things out of his pocket.

Man, I miss Senor Whiskers. He was a great moggy.

Tony
Last edited by AJBryant on Mon 06.25.2007 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby keatonatron » Mon 06.25.2007 7:17 am

SirFirestorm wrote:
in Japan lots of students live on their own

No... they don't.

In Japan it is very common for children to live with their parents until they get married. At my school, the students who moved here from Western Japan or Hokkaido live by themselves (although this is college level), and EVERYONE whose parents live within a 2 hour train ride still lives at home. It's too freaking expensive not to.

It's unheard of for a high school student to live by themselves. Many schools do have dorms, though, for high school students who can't/don't want to live at home.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 06.25.2007 12:04 pm

I was going to add more and realized that Keat, pretty much summed it up. the expense keeps anyone from living oh their own until they have a permanent job to support themselves.
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.25.2007 12:42 pm

And many times even the job doesn't mean "moving out."

Girls, it seems, are pretty much expected to live at home until they marry, and their paychecks therefore go to fake Luis Vuitton luggage and trips to Guam and Hawaii.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Hatori » Mon 06.25.2007 2:05 pm

keatonatron wrote:
It's too freaking expensive not to.

It's unheard of for a high school student to live by themselves. Many schools do have dorms, though, for high school students who can't/don't want to live at home.

Okay. You basically answered my question that makes me satisfied. Thank you.

Mike Cash wrote:
Keep in mind that manga are escapist fantasy entertainment. You may as well ask if it is common for people to have green hair and eyes the size of dinner plates. Or if most kids have rotund blue cats that walk upright, speak, and pull the darnedest things out of his pocket.

I know, but a lot of my questions come from when I read and what I study on my own or stupid things that come up in my mind.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby SirFirestorm » Mon 06.25.2007 3:28 pm

Somewhere along my thought process I shouldve realized keeping my mouth shut is a great idea for things I have very little actual knowledge about. Noted for the future.
SirFirestorm

Postby AJBryant » Tue 06.26.2007 7:56 am

Actually, Firestorm, I rather liked your post.

People need more cutting sarcasm to throw Mike's straight-shooting posts into sharper relief. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 06.26.2007 9:57 am

and here I thought i was the yin to Mike's yang.. lol
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Tue 06.26.2007 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby tanuki » Tue 06.26.2007 12:07 pm

Gross.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 06.26.2007 12:14 pm

The dual concepts of yin and yang – or the single concept Yin-Yang – originate in ancient Chinese philosophy and metaphysics, which describe two primal opposing but complementary principles or cosmic forces said to be found in all non-static objects and processes in the universe. The concept is the cornerstone for Taoism and traditional Chinese medicine.

Yīn (陰 or 阴 "shady place, north slope, south bank (river); cloudy, overcast"; Japanese: in or on) is the dark element: it is passive, dark, feminine, downward-seeking, and corresponds to the night.

Yáng (陽 or 阳 "sunny place, south slope, north bank (river), sunshine"; Japanese: yō) is the bright element: it is active, light, masculine, upward-seeking and corresponds to the daytime.

Yin is often symbolized by water and earth, while yang is symbolized by fire and wind.

Yin (the receptive, feminine, dark, passive force) and yang (the creative, masculine, bright, active force) are descriptions of complementary opposites rather than absolutes. Any yin/yang dichotomy can be viewed from another perspective. All forces in nature can be seen as having yin and yang states, and the two are in movement rather than held in absolute stasis

(still wondering what is so gross about that.) of course maybe Bolivians have a different definition for yin or yang?
two_heads_talking

Postby tanuki » Tue 06.26.2007 12:38 pm

I know what yin and yang are. It just sounded gross.

Nevermind.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Sumi » Tue 06.26.2007 1:00 pm

I really don't think that in any 1st world country would have high school students live on their own. The only girl that I know that lives on her own is at least 17 or 18. I think that is because her parent's home is too far away from the school district.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan