Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Moving out of your house.

Moving out of your house.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Moving out of your house.

Postby sei » Tue 06.26.2007 2:31 pm

In my area at least, almost every student goes to live on their own after finishing high school. But they are going to college, which is different then younger persons living on their own. (High school is finished at about 17/18.)

But this is because there aren't many universities around here. And not every university has the same courses, so people who want a specific course have to leave their home and go to study to a different city.

Such is my case. The course I want does not exist in my area, and so I would have to leave my house if I would want to take it. Unfortunately, Portugal still has this group of people (like my parents...) who are conservative and controlling, and so, even if it means to give up on my whole future..., I cannot go study outside of town...

I'm not sure, but I actually think it's illegal for underaged people to live alone here. But I'm probably wrong here. I just always had this idea.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 06.26.2007 3:17 pm

sometimes listening to your parents is better than running out and finding out what the real world is like..

I emphasize "sometimes"
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Hatori » Tue 06.26.2007 3:25 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
sometimes listening to your parents is better than running out and finding out what the real world is like..

I emphasize "sometimes"

I hate listening to my parents. lol. I'm like a good kid and student and all, but when my mom gets really pissed she says," Oh, you're so damn rebelious against me!"
I'm not really... I look normal and do normal stuff.
I can't wait until I get out of my house. I'm not a people person unless it comes to people I really want to be with a lot. My brother is STILL living at home and we have a six year age gap. I want him to move out so I can have his room. He's never home anyways. lol :P
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby sei » Tue 06.26.2007 3:32 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:

I emphasize "sometimes"

I will then emphasize "sometimes" as well. ;)
sei

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 06.27.2007 9:55 am

YOu two completely missed the point..

Hatori, what does looking normal and doing normal stuff have to do with being respective of your parents?

sei, I hope the many times you don't listen to your parents are not the times you most regret.. unfortunately my hoping is a penny in the ocean and my money rides on you regretting most of those situations.. your mileage may vary, but every kid wants out as soon as possible and then no sooner do they get out, they want back..

we'll see how you do when you leave to college.. that's usually an indicator of who's a mamma's kid..
two_heads_talking

Postby sei » Wed 06.27.2007 12:18 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
sei, I hope the many times you don't listen to your parents are not the times you most regret.. unfortunately my hoping is a penny in the ocean and my money rides on you regretting most of those situations.. your mileage may vary, but every kid wants out as soon as possible and then no sooner do they get out, they want back..

we'll see how you do when you leave to college.. that's usually an indicator of who's a mamma's kid..

1) That's the point. I will NOT leave for college, because my parents are too controlling to let me leave to house to go to college.

2) I believe this subjects should be left untouched. Being this the Internet, you don't have any idea of how my life is.

Not every teenager is dumb and revolting you know? I happen to be a very responsible person. And I do know that I'd have a really hard time living on my own. Still doesn't stop me from wanting it.
Last edited by sei on Thu 07.05.2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sei

Postby Infidel » Wed 06.27.2007 11:42 pm

1) That's the point. I will NOT leave for college, because my parents are too controlling to let me leave to house to go to college.

Do you not reach majority in Portugal at the end of high school? Generally, by the end of High school you're a legal adult in most countries and your parents have no more say in your life than you let them have. It doesn't matter how controlling they are, once you're an adult you can leave them never to return.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Hatori » Thu 06.28.2007 1:08 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
Hatori, what does looking normal and doing normal stuff have to do with being respective of your parents?

1.) I'm not becoming a bad kid.
2.) I'm not becoming a bad kid, yet again.
Thus this proves that I'm not going to wind up as some nutcase and showing what my parents have taught me and have influenced upon me.
Though, I do like to go against what they sometimes. :p :p

(Quick note: I didn't even click page 2 and even sei do the number thing I did too. LOL)
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby SolidSnail » Sun 07.01.2007 3:17 pm

Infidel wrote:

Do you not reach majority in Portugal at the end of high school? Generally, by the end of High school you're a legal adult in most countries and your parents have no more say in your life than you let them have. It doesn't matter how controlling they are, once you're an adult you can leave them never to return.

Although I've never checked the legislation, I'm pretty sure that in Portugal you are a legally independent citizen at 18 (end of high school - sometimes :p).
And I do not think it is ilegall to live alone if you're underage.
SolidSnail

Postby sei » Sun 07.01.2007 4:34 pm

Infidel wrote:

Yes we do. 18 is the legal age. Problem is, there is very, very low chances of an underaged kid to get a job. And being so, just after being 18 can one start working and earning their own money. So maybe a year later or so they can finally move out. But even so, I don't think that person will be able to go to college, which obviously, is a bad thing.

So, if I actually want some future for myself it's just better to stick around and go to whatever college I'm allowed to go and work while doing college.
sei

Postby chikara » Sun 07.01.2007 10:06 pm

sei wrote:Yes we do. 18 is the legal age. Problem is, there is very, very low chances of an underaged kid to get a job. ...

Isn't Portugal blessed with McDonalds :D

Seriously though what is the minimum age one can legally leave school in Portugal? Here (Australia) it varies from state to state but the minimum age is 15 or 16. Lots of people have full time jobs at 16.

Although a person does not legally become an adult until they are 18 it is very difficult for parents to legally force a 16 year old to do anything.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Hatori » Sun 07.01.2007 11:23 pm

Where I live, you can get a job at KFC when you're 14. And lots of other places too.
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby sei » Tue 07.03.2007 4:29 pm

chikara wrote:
Isn't Portugal blessed with McDonalds :D

Seriously though what is the minimum age one can legally leave school in Portugal? Here (Australia) it varies from state to state but the minimum age is 15 or 16. Lots of people have full time jobs at 16.

Although a person does not legally become an adult until they are 18 it is very difficult for parents to legally force a 16 year old to do anything.

Yes it is blessed with it. :) But unfortunately, it's rare the times when it accepts underaged people. Just like any other place.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that minimum age thing. School is supposed to be mandatory till the end of high school, but some don't go to high school and they don't have any problems.

And I have been looking for a job since, I think, 15, and I haven't found any place who would accept an underaged girl.
I do know of underaged people who have gotten a job, but so far, it's always a job on their parent's company or something of that sort.
sei

Postby SenescenceReign » Tue 07.03.2007 5:25 pm

sei wrote:
I believe this subjects should be left untouched. Being this the Internet, you don't have any idea of how my life is.

Sei, hon. You just upchucked drama all over this forum. Be it true that none of us can say that we "know you", or "get you" or whatever, neither can you assume that we aren't making assumptions based on the worst-case scenario. Turn some of that, 'You don't know me' attitude to yourself, sug.
/relurk
SenescenceReign

Postby sei » Wed 07.04.2007 9:19 am

SenescenceReign wrote:
Sei, hon. You just upchucked drama all over this forum. Be it true that none of us can say that we "know you", or "get you" or whatever, neither can you assume that we aren't making assumptions based on the worst-case scenario. Turn some of that, 'You don't know me' attitude to yourself, sug.

Oh yes, that's definitely true.

Still, I wasn't the one making the assumption first. And if I remember correctly, I can only interpret the message directed to me before (I don't remember who wrote it... ^^) in one way. And there wasn't any assumption there that my life could be slightly different that other teenagers. There was only assumption that every teenager is the same and thinks the same way.

Definitely not true.

Also, I did not intentionally "upchucked drama all over this forum." I certainly am used to my life and I also know how to take care of myself. I would definitely never resort to an online public forum to talk about my problems. I was merely making a point, that's all.
sei

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan