Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What about latinos in Japan?

What about latinos in Japan?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

What about latinos in Japan?

Postby ocetalo » Mon 06.25.2007 7:27 pm

I have listened some ugly tales on latino's life in Japan, as if we were discriminated. Specially we Colombian, as we are somewhat involved in the traffic of women for the sex business. I also have listened we are considered to be lesser, as I have seen in some anime (Well, this could possibly come from stereotypes in north american movies). Anyone knows?
No hay conocimiento
ocetalo

RE: What about latinos in Japan?

Postby Dehitay » Tue 06.26.2007 12:07 am

yeah, the Japanese hate Latinos just as much as they hate blacks. There was a thread about that somwhere. Look for it and you'll understand
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby A_Nozomi » Tue 06.26.2007 6:34 am

ocetalo wrote:
I have listened some ugly tales on latino's life in Japan, as if we were discriminated. Specially we Colombian, as we are somewhat involved in the traffic of women for the sex business. I also have listened we are considered to be lesser, as I have seen in some anime (Well, this could possibly come from stereotypes in north american movies). Anyone knows?

Off topic but the word you want is "heard" in place of "listened" in both instances. :)
A_Nozomi

Postby furin » Tue 06.26.2007 6:37 am

Dehitay wrote:
yeah, the Japanese hate Latinos just as much as they hate blacks. There was a thread about that somwhere. Look for it and you'll understand

Please wait. I think you should be more careful about this kind of topic.
Japanese hate Latinos? Absolutely NOT.
furin

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 06.26.2007 6:56 am

There are countless thousands of South Americans around my area. Mostly Brazilians, with some Peruvians. I don't think most of them do much to assimilate into mainstream Japanese society. They tend to form their own communities, complete with their own businesses, churches, etc.

Tomorrow morning I will be driving down a street here in Gunma which has become almost totally populated by Brazilian businesses and churches. It used to look like a Japanese town with a "Little Brazil", but these days the area looks like a Brazilian town with a "Little Japan".
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby AJBryant » Tue 06.26.2007 7:58 am

Actually, I used to hang out at a Colombian bar in Tokyo. Can't remember exactly where it was, now, but a friend who was dating a Brazilian-Japanese guy introduced me to the place. They had GREAT food.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Dehitay » Tue 06.26.2007 5:23 pm

furin wrote:
Dehitay wrote:

That was kind of my point. I was just making that point in a 'read a similar thread that's only 10 or so down in this section' kind of way
Dehitay

Postby Tspoonami » Tue 06.26.2007 5:35 pm

furin wrote:

Dehitay wasn't saying that Japanese people hate Latinos, but rather that they hate them as much as they hate black people. This means that if Japanese people hate black people, then they hate Latinos equally. It's a wierd way of comparing things, but it is quite common in everyday speech.

Of course, this post is wrong if Dehitay was saying that Japanese people hate black people and Latinos. But, he wasn't saying that (according to himself).
Last edited by Tspoonami on Tue 06.26.2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby Gundaetiapo » Tue 06.26.2007 8:16 pm

デヒテイさんの明文は、ちょっと粗相だと思います。
Gundaetiapo

Postby furin » Tue 06.26.2007 9:18 pm

Ah I understand, Dehitay-san.
But I just wanted to point out that not all the people who have read your post try to search and read the thread you referred to. I suppose you could write "don't hate" or "like" instead of "hate", to avoid to misread.

Tspoonami-san, thank you.
furin

Postby Dehitay » Tue 06.26.2007 10:06 pm

furin wrote:
Ah I understand, Dehitay-san.
But I just wanted to point out that not all the people who have read your post try to search and read the thread you referred to. I suppose you could write "don't hate" or "like" instead of "hate", to avoid to misread.

Tspoonami-san, thank you.

dang, it wasn't till Tspoonami spoke that I realized who I was talking to. I kind of forgot how some one who wasn't raised speaking English might not understand the point I was trying to make. It was a half sarcastic remark in how it implied Japanese hate black and latino people, but not completely sarcastic since it's an accurate enough statement
Dehitay

Postby ghosthacker » Thu 06.28.2007 4:53 am

This is the 2nd, possible 3rd post, I have seen like this since I joined this site. I have to ask..who cares?

I have been to lots of places on this planet and have yet to meet as many bigots as in my own country, the good old US of A. If it doesn't bother me here it's not gonna bother me elsewhere..lol

Frankly, as long as your not moving to some middle eastern country, South Africa or America discrimination should be the least of your worries :)
Last edited by ghosthacker on Thu 06.28.2007 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghosthacker

Postby keatonatron » Thu 06.28.2007 7:34 am

Agreed!

You never hear people say "I'm thinking about going to Hawaii for vacation... but I heard Hawaiians hate New Yorkers! Am I going to be okay?? Will they exclude me from their luaus? I'm scared. :("

If you're THAT worried about people not liking you, just stay at home and watch TV.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 06.28.2007 8:43 am

no but you do hear them say that haoles don't belong.. don't be so quick to dismiss the attitude of locals in Hawaii.. and if you aren't a local, don't try to hog the waves, you will get your arse beat good.
two_heads_talking

Postby ocetalo » Thu 06.28.2007 12:11 pm

Well, what I want to know is what's the image japanese people have about latinos, but I'm not really worried about if they will be afraid of me (I have experienced it before). If you believe the US movies you'll think Middle East People, for example, are barbarians, and you'll think Colombia is a jungle, only guerrilla, narco and paramilitary (thank you, Hollywood!). So, it's kind of a sociological interest.

Thanks for the correction on "listen".
No hay conocimiento
ocetalo

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan