Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 学歴低く詐称 - understating your qualifications

学歴低く詐称 - understating your qualifications

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

学歴低く詐称 - understating your qualifications

Postby chchan45 » Thu 06.28.2007 1:00 pm

I saw a news item on NHK about nearly 1000 people being found to understate their qualifications while applying for low-level jobs in the city council. They were suspended for 1 month as punishment.

http://www.nhk.or.jp/news/2007/06/28/d2 ... 00019.html
大阪市は、大学や短大を卒業しているのに学歴を低く偽って、高校卒業以下の人を対象とした枠で採用されていた965人の職員を28日付けで停職1か月の懲戒処分にすることを決めました。

Personally I find this very strange. In the UK, understating your qualifications is not an offence, you will only get into trouble if you falsify a qualification. From my personal experience, hiding your degree is the only way to get certain low-level jobs, e.g. takeaways.

It is also interesting that so many Japanese graduates feel compelled to hide their degrees in order to secure a low-level job. They must have been really desperate. Perhaps Japan is producing too many graduates?
Last edited by chchan45 on Thu 06.28.2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

RE: 学歴低く詐称 - understating your qualifications

Postby a_iwai » Fri 06.29.2007 8:48 am

It is too expensive to pay for learning at a university in Japan. To a person who have parent of low income, it is quite difficult learning in it.

This social problem is existing as the background of this news.
So, Osaka city gave a chance of employment for the person who was difficult to learn in university.

Yes, it seems to be not resolved completely about the problem by such a meaningless policy.
a_iwai

Postby coco » Fri 06.29.2007 10:29 am

この記事の要点は「自治体の職員である」という点です。
「失われた10年」と呼ばれた90年代、特に90年代後半は、大学や大学院を出ても就職は困難でした。
いっぽう、公務員には一定数の募集枠があります。そのなかには学歴を必要としない職種もあります。
たとえば
・ゴミの収集や焼却作業
・給食調理
・下水処理場や道路の維持管理
・公共交通の運転
などです。

これらの職種は、ある種の社会的弱者に対する雇用促進という観点から、応募資格を低学歴者に限っていました。いわば、アファーマティブ・アクション(Affirmative action)です。 
大学を出ても就職できない人のなかには、職種を問わず仕事を得たいと考える人もいます。
給料の遅配はなく、よほどの事がない限り解雇もされず、減給になる可柏ォの少ない公務員には魅力があります。そこで大学(短大を含む)卒業者の学歴詐称という事態が生まれたのです。

民間企業で学歴を低く詐称しても、得るものはほとんどありません。
---
蛇足ですがJapanese, sheep and poodlesの内容をKskさんが修正してくださってますよ。 ;)
Last edited by coco on Fri 06.29.2007 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby chchan45 » Tue 07.10.2007 1:29 pm

a_iwai, coco,

Thank you very much for your reply. My computer is not working at the moment and I cannot type Japanese in my work one.

In the UK, it is not considered wrong to hide your qualifications when applying for jobs. I did some temporary work after finishing university before I got a graduate job. Maybe it is not so common in Japan.

It is true that work in the civil service is secure (no late pay, no pay cuts, no redundancy, no firing unless you do something really bad), but it is still very sad that graduates think a life of collecting rubbish or preparing 給食 is the best they can aim for. They must have had dreams when they went to university and to settle for a "stable" low-level job means that they have wasted 4 years of their lives.

Sadly the video "Japanese, sheep and poodles" has been removed from youtube. It seems that as soon as I recommend a video here, it gets removed. I must be more careful about posting direct links in the future.
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 07.10.2007 4:00 pm

chchan45 wrote:

In the UK, it is not considered wrong to hide your qualifications when applying for jobs. I did some temporary work after finishing university before I got a graduate job. Maybe it is not so common in Japan.

Coco's point was that the program was specifically meant to provide opportunities to people who couldn't afford to go to college at all. It was meant to help financially disadvantaged people.....and then the financially advantaged faked their applications and took the jobs, defeating the purpose of the program.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan