Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Job in Japan w/o College Degree?

Job in Japan w/o College Degree?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Job in Japan w/o College Degree?

Postby x1337magex » Sat 06.30.2007 11:13 pm

Hey there all,

I was wondering, I am and have been planning a trip to Japan to work and learn more about the language and culture.

I was wondering if anybody on here knew any good jobs for non-fluent speakers who wish to stay about 6-9 months or so that don't require college degrees.

I have read a lot about teaching english, but most schools require a degree. I HAVE heard some schools don't require a degree, would anybody know of any of these or good places to look and/or call?

I have also heard that graphic design is a good job? Could someone elaborate on the nature of the job, and what companies would offer it? I heard you don'tneed any collge for it or fluency.

Any other jobs or offers would be GREATLY appreciated, any and all offers and ideas and sites, please PLEASE!! Thank yo very much!

I am soooooo desperate!!! lol THAAAANKKK YOOOUUU ^_^
」とりの ように とぶ、 それわ わたしに とって とおい ゆめ に すぎない。。。」
x1337magex

RE: Job in Japan w/o College Degree?

Postby keatonatron » Sat 06.30.2007 11:30 pm

For any stay over 3 months, you will need a visa.

To be allowed to work in the country, you will need a work visa (or a visa that allows working: spouse, student, etc.).

In order to get a work visa, you must be sponsored by a company. You will become that company's responsibility, which is why just about every company requires you to have a college degree before even considering hiring you -- it shows that you're serious about your work and have undergone a certain amount of personal growth.

If you are really serious about learning the language, and have some money to get you started, I would suggest going to a language school. The school would have to be your priority (you must attend around 5 hours a day, 5 days a week or you get kicked out), so you will need some money saved up before you go, but they will give you a student visa under which you are allowed to work 19 or so hours per week at any job that will take you (private English teacher would probably be the most profitable).

Here's info on visas, including the various types available:
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/
Last edited by keatonatron on Sat 06.30.2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby x1337magex » Sat 06.30.2007 11:41 pm

Thank you very much!!!

So, technically a degree is not Required, right? Would it be possible to find a company that doesn't require it, or EVERY company does?

Also, that language school thing sounds neat, would you have any idea of how much it would cost? And if it would be possible to offset the cost with a Job?

(or just any sites on language schools) Thank you!!!!!!!!

BTW, now that i think about it, you said up to 3 months i can stay, right? there wouldn't be any possibility of working during that time, right? I assume it would be just be a visting visa, not working though.
Last edited by x1337magex on Sat 06.30.2007 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
」とりの ように とぶ、 それわ わたしに とって とおい ゆめ に すぎない。。。」
x1337magex

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 07.01.2007 12:52 am

You have to satisfy Immigration requirements to get into the country with permission to work.....then you have to satisfy an employer's requirements.

Just because you might find someone willing to hire you without a degree doesn't mean you're going to be allowed to enter and remain in the country to take the job. The degree is more typically a requirement for Immigration.

Do yourself and your future progeny a favor; go to college and get a degree.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby keatonatron » Sun 07.01.2007 2:38 am

I think what Mike's talking about is that once you find a company willing to vouch for you, they have to make a case to the immigration department explaining why they need you and not a normal Japanese person.

If you try to go with the "I can speak English" road, the immigration department will probably say "instead of hiring an English-speaker with no degree, hire a Japanese person who got their degree in English". Getting a degree essentially makes the strongest case of "you need me and no one else will do" for the immigration department. The more qualifications you get, the harder it would be for them to find a Japanese person of equal status.

Tuition for my Japanese school was about $8,000 a year. Living expenses vary greatly by where you go... For me it was about $1000-1500 a month. In more rural areas, you could probably get by on $800 or less.

It's hard to estimate how much money you could make if you work at the same time... It all depends on how much time you have and how lucky you are at finding work. Without being able to speak Japanese, pretty much your only possibility is English teaching, and then you have to go out and find students so it's not really a sure thing...
keatonatron

Postby Paragon » Mon 07.02.2007 2:48 pm

Here's a related question. . .what kinds of degrees would be useful in Japan? I'm probably going to go back to get my Master's in. . .something, because a BA in Psych is pretty worthless (in the US at least, and most likely in Japan too).

I do want to go through the JET program regardless of my degree, but I also want to have options available to me in both the US and Japan. After all, even if I wind up really loving the country AND the ALT job, I can only remain a JET for so long.
ワツ アップ マイ ニッガ?
Paragon

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan