Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Going to the movie theatre.

Going to the movie theatre.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Going to the movie theatre.

Postby Hatori » Mon 07.09.2007 1:53 am

Hello. I was wondering, why do the movie theatres cost so much in Japan. I mean, I've heard if I'm not wrong that they cost $15-$25 just to get one ticket to see a movie. I also think that the threatre prices in America are expsensive, but WOW! This just blew me away!
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby furin » Mon 07.09.2007 6:07 am

Hatori wrote:
Hello. I was wondering, why do the movie theatres cost so much in Japan.

Yes, why do the movie theatres cost so much in Japan? I'd like to know the reason too. :(
furin

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 07.09.2007 7:07 am

When I first moved to this city (population about 110,000), there were three movie theaters.

Today, there are none.

Video rentals and multi-screen mini-theaters in mega-malls killed them off. Since we don't have a mega-mall, choices are either to rent or to drive to the next city.

Would you believe that I have never bought or rented a DVD? I think I must be the last person on earth who can say that.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Keo » Mon 07.09.2007 7:51 am

Would you believe that I have never bought or rented a DVD? I think I must be the last person on earth who can say that.

not quite ;) although im the U.S. , ive never rented or bought a dvd either, nor do i goto the movies very often (once in a few years). :D

going on 20 years soon, of no dvd rental or purchase. :D
Keo

Postby Shirasagi » Mon 07.09.2007 8:00 am

Hatori wrote:
Hello. I was wondering, why do the movie theatres cost so much in Japan. I mean, I've heard if I'm not wrong that they cost $15-$25 just to get one ticket to see a movie. I also think that the threatre prices in America are expsensive, but WOW! This just blew me away!

After factoring in that prices are higher in Japan in general, consider also that space, particularly the amount of space of a not-crappy movie theater, comes at a premium.

That said, the most I've ever seen for a movie ticket was 2,000 yen, in Tokyo, a special price-jack for The Phantom Menace. At the time, 2,000 yen was worth about $16. Usually it's 1,800 yen, which (unless the yen gets unprecendentedly strong) will always be south of $18. $25 with a very strong yen (110 yen = $1) would be around 2,700 yen, and I've never seen a movie theater that high.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 07.09.2007 8:16 am

Sadly, you're not. Bittorrent has obviated the need for buying or renting DVDs for some people.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Infidel » Mon 07.09.2007 10:47 am

I heard that in japan, if you buy a movie ticket, you don't just get a ticket, but all kinds of gimicks--like posters--that you don't get here. Kinda like how Japanese magazines have far more inserts than American mags.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby keatonatron » Mon 07.09.2007 10:59 am

Infidel wrote:
I heard that in japan, if you buy a movie ticket, you don't just get a ticket, but all kinds of gimicks--like posters--that you don't get here. Kinda like how Japanese magazines have far more inserts than American mags.

I've gone a lot, especially recently, and I've only ever received one special item.

It was when I went to see the latest Pirates movie: it was a mini-poster explaining the relationship of all the characters in the really hard to follow plot... utilizing a neat and tidy flow chart.

This guy is in love with this girl, who's father is this dude, who works for this guy, who's chasing after this guy, who sold his soul to this guy, who is in command of this guy, whose son is the first guy who loves the girl.
keatonatron

Postby Teh_Freak » Mon 07.09.2007 11:31 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Sadly, you're not. Bittorrent has obviated the need for buying or renting DVDs for some people.
That probably explains why people are always furious at the $8.50 movie prices at the theatre I work at, they're used to getting it for free!
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 07.09.2007 12:11 pm

no, we are used to the old days where a movie for the family didn't cost 50 dollars.. it's really not the price of the movie ticket that pisses me off.. it's the price of the snacks.. 4 dollar hotdogs, 5 dollar nachos.. bring those prices down and we won't be upset.. that's my take anyways
two_heads_talking

Postby Infidel » Mon 07.09.2007 1:26 pm

$5 Coke! WTF Over!
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby AJBryant » Mon 07.09.2007 1:52 pm

Yeah. It's the dirty secret of the multiplex that the real money is made in concession sales, not in ticket sales. That's also one reason for the multiplex -- more screens means that there are more likely people coming to see other movies (that is, it's not just one movie that a few people are coming to see -- it's SEVEN movies that a few people are coming to see) and they all buy Coke and popcorn for 8.95.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby HeyItsMatt » Mon 07.09.2007 2:41 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
no, we are used to the old days where a movie for the family didn't cost 50 dollars.. it's really not the price of the movie ticket that pisses me off.. it's the price of the snacks.. 4 dollar hotdogs, 5 dollar nachos.. bring those prices down and we won't be upset.. that's my take anyways

I have to agree. The only time when I go to movies are when my friends drag me there... the ticket is 7.50 where I live, and I don't even consider getting concessions. The movie is always too loud, and I play the drums... what's that about? If it's crowded I end up at the front where not only is it louder but my neck hurts by the end of the movie. Usually there is either a baby crying somewhere, or a pack of high school / college kids talking through the entire movie.

I sit through 20 minutes of advertising and previews (I had a friend who deliberately went to movies 10 minutes late just to skip this, and it worked!). I possibly get to see an anti-piracy lecture to tell me about how it's John Q Public's fault the movie industry is dying, and not their own (while I'm sitting there PAYING for their movie, thanks!). Finally the movie starts, and usually it's 2 hours of excessive, disorienting CGI and characters I couldn't care less about or remember five minutes after the end.

Hmm, sorry, I just went into rant mode, haha. Usually I'm quite happy and non-whiney just buying a DVD or renting a video to watch at home. So yeah, Japanese movie theatres... are the people in them often more quiet and behaved than what I experience in America?
Last edited by HeyItsMatt on Mon 07.09.2007 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby mamba » Mon 07.09.2007 2:43 pm

I think almost anywhere you go it gets really expensive, especially when you want to watch a movie with the whole family. We only go very rarely, usually once or even twice a year if the movie is really really good.

$8.50/person here in New York is already expensive, and you watch it on some small measly screen, but $15-$20 in Japan - woww :o I miss when I was back in the Philippines, a little less than $1.00 for a ticket, cokes/popcorn are around 20-30 cents, and you watch it on super huge imax screen :D
mamba

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 07.09.2007 3:04 pm

we have an 18 screen AMC multiplex in our mills mall http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potomac_Mills

this replaced an old 15 screen one. the seating is wonderful and the sound is earthshattering. if I could go and watch movies and worry about nothing else, I would. If I can get my home video/theatre set up in a townhouse to be similar, I would stay home. but I go for those movies that need the ultra shock of hammering subwoofer love..

we used to have a theatre that was old, withthe curtains that would pull back and it even had a balcony, yes it was a true theatre with stage left and right.. it was a dollar theatre and the candy was 1 dollar or 1.50 for the bigger items.. sodas were 2 dollars and popcorn came with the ticket.. it's wasn't very big, but it was at no cost. the theatre lasted 15 years and then some local hoods decided to torch it up. the owner was making ends meet, but was not able to make the repairs. what he shared with the community is lost because some local thugs decided that a bonfire on the stage and busting up the joint with hammers was "fun." I still don'tknow if they ever found the douchebags.. (now I am a bit sad)
two_heads_talking

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan