Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Going to the movie theatre.

Going to the movie theatre.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby SenescenceReign » Tue 07.17.2007 5:55 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
we deal with concrete panels (some upwards of 30,000 lbs and over 30 feet long and 15 feet tall and 6 inches thick.)

Oh yeah. Never said it was the worst job, just that it was awful. (Always helps to remember that there are worse things in life.

Find something you like to do, then, even when things bog down, you aren't bored or tired and accidents won't happen

Haha! Honey, I'm an insurance agent now. This whole movie theater thing was back when I was 16. Did it for over a year (almost two) before I quit, and I wouldn't have gotten as far as I did if it weren't for my ability to ignore how much I hate what I do until I quit. For example, I'm sure if I ever leave insurance I'll moan all day, but so far...? Loving it. Every bloody minute. :)
/relurk
SenescenceReign

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 07.18.2007 10:16 am

being able to ingore how much you hate your job doesn't seem to be a healthy way to live.. just an observation mind you. stress will decrease your lifespan by 20%.. work induced stress bumps it up to 25%. anyways, enjoy what you do, it might be the last thing you do.. :o :D
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby SenescenceReign » Wed 07.18.2007 5:28 pm

Eh, I'm too pessimistic about the span of my life to worry about knocking off the last few years. Too many horrible murdering life threatening diseases run in my family to have terrible much hope for the future.

Also, I've noted (personally) that people who do everything they can to lengthen their lives are the ones who tend to end early. Just a weird circumstance as far as my experiences...
/relurk
SenescenceReign

Postby Hatori » Thu 07.19.2007 1:40 am

I took a quiz on this HUGE HP website and it says I'm most like Snape and I'd belong in Hufflepuff! I just LOVE the irony in that. But I love Snape. He's second to Sirious Black and I'd love to have a Snapey teacher. He's cool!! ;) :D
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 07.19.2007 9:03 am

SenescenceReign wrote:
Eh, I'm too pessimistic about the span of my life to worry about knocking off the last few years. Too many horrible murdering life threatening diseases run in my family to have terrible much hope for the future.

Also, I've noted (personally) that people who do everything they can to lengthen their lives are the ones who tend to end early. Just a weird circumstance as far as my experiences...

i find that just enjoying things is more fun that taking a pessimistic approach.. just my take on it.. you enjoy it however you want.. it's not for me..
two_heads_talking

Postby hyperconjugated » Thu 07.19.2007 1:04 pm

SenescenceReign wrote:

"I'm Jim Fixx and I'm dead now.....and I don't know what the **** happened."
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Hatori » Fri 07.27.2007 9:29 pm

SenescenceReign wrote:
That's hilarious in every single way.
Anyways, as we were talking about people in threatres... I made one of my "noises" again. LOL. I just saw The Simpson Movie and at the end when Homer and Marge kissed I went "WOOOO!!!" real loud. PEOPLE LAUGHED.
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby AJBryant » Fri 07.27.2007 10:29 pm

They laughed because it was a *dumb* thing to do.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 07.27.2007 11:02 pm

gah, here in LA where things are expensive in the first place... there are still a couple of theaters able to charge premium prices... like the Arclight that charges ~$11 for a ticket... but! they are reserved seats (just like on an airplane, you can pick where you want to sit), no *noisy kids*, and ushers that will remove people who make noise, talk on cell phone (even text messaging, anything that makes the backlight come on or makes noise), or anything else that detracts from the experience of going to a theater to watch a movie.... maybe http://blogging.la/archives/2006/10/what_does_that_extra_few_bucks.phtml...

anyway, price-wise, in LA, some people are ready and willing to pay a bit more for an experience that is close to perfect.... get the seats you want, buy online, no kids, no noise, no chatting, no cell-phones, no long lines, etc..

so here, it boils down to... do you want to pay $X to see a movie where the people behind you are talking the whole time and their kids are screaming and the person in front of you is talking on their cell-phone... or do you want to pay a couple of $ more to watch a movie where you can enjoy it without worrying about distractions...

anyway... :) the last movie i saw in a theater was Serenity and the place was mostly empty.... for the most part, you get what you pay for, no matter where you are.
zengargoyle

Postby Hatori » Sat 07.28.2007 4:01 pm

AJBryant wrote:
They laughed because it was a *dumb* thing to do.

It was one of those impulses. Jeez. ;) :p
Otherwise I don't make noises unless there's something REALLY GOOD I have to say. LOL. I haven't been thinking of anything good to say lately...

Dude, I hate it when people are on their cell phones in theatres. Once I went to a movie and this lady was talking through the WHOLE MOVIE with somebody on the phone. What a waste of money and theatres cost so much...
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan