Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Going to the movie theatre.

Going to the movie theatre.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby Dehitay » Mon 07.09.2007 3:21 pm

most major cities in Texas have drive-in theaters. Those places are awesome. You can pack a car full of food and pizza and still get in for about $20 for a double feature. I remember going there as a kid and not even watching half the movie; it was more fun eating and running around.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby HeyItsMatt » Mon 07.09.2007 4:26 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
we have an 18 screen AMC multiplex in our mills mall http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potomac_Mills

this replaced an old 15 screen one. the seating is wonderful and the sound is earthshattering. if I could go and watch movies and worry about nothing else, I would. If I can get my home video/theatre set up in a townhouse to be similar, I would stay home. but I go for those movies that need the ultra shock of hammering subwoofer love..

we used to have a theatre that was old, withthe curtains that would pull back and it even had a balcony, yes it was a true theatre with stage left and right.. it was a dollar theatre and the candy was 1 dollar or 1.50 for the bigger items.. sodas were 2 dollars and popcorn came with the ticket.. it's wasn't very big, but it was at no cost. the theatre lasted 15 years and then some local hoods decided to torch it up. the owner was making ends meet, but was not able to make the repairs. what he shared with the community is lost because some local thugs decided that a bonfire on the stage and busting up the joint with hammers was "fun." I still don'tknow if they ever found the douchebags.. (now I am a bit sad)

Actually we also have a local theatre here. That's too bad about the kids torching yours... sounds like somebody needs after-school activities. Our theatre was unused and dilapidated for a long time, but they started renovating it a couple years after I had been living here. It's pretty nice looking now, a bit ornate looking with a nice balcony. The tickets are $5.00. That's no Philippines IMAX theatre but it's better than $7.50. They often play more interesting independent or foreign films, which brings in a less annoying audience (hopefully I don't sound like TOO much of an elitist, hehe). I still don't go that often, but it is more fun than the mall theatres by far.
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 07.09.2007 4:43 pm

the east coast doesn't have very many drive ins.. I know VA doesn't have any around where I live.. However, back west, where I did most of my growing up, every town had one. it cost 3-5 dollars per person (one of the reasons alot of people would drive cadillacs (2-3 people stowed away in the trunk) ) I loved drive ins. In fact in Wyoming, we used to be able to watch the movies from the roof of the house.. we couldn't hear anything of course, but it was fun sitting up there anyways. For me, it wasn't about the movie, but about being able to sit on the roof. (we had a 2 story house with a huge pitched roof.. 30 feet in the air was about where we would end up.. )

too much nastalgia.. makes me long for "the good ol' days.."
two_heads_talking

Postby Hatori » Mon 07.09.2007 5:55 pm

Recently I saw a movie earlier this week and there's this threatre that if you go for the first movie of the day shown, it costs $3 to get in. THAT'S INSANELY AWESOME!!
I also feel guilty if somebody invites me to a movie that I've already seen. :( Last year for Pirates2 I was invited to go see it the first day and it was sold out. So then I went to see another movie that I've already seen before. I know this rich chick and she usually sees movies two or four times in the theatre if she likes it and gets invited often. :@
Drive ins are so cool. I went to a drive in once and I saw Harry Potter3 and Shrek2 I think. OH! I'm going to beg and beg to see Harry Potter5 this Wednesday. I mean, I hate going to movie theatres, but I want to see this movie the first night because it's something fun to do. I'm so sad because in the book my favorite character dies. Of course, in every movie, manga, or TV show my favorite character either smokes, dies, or has a combination of both. :o
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby mamba » Mon 07.09.2007 6:31 pm

Hatori wrote:
... character dies...

thx a lot, you might want to put the words "SPOILER" next time :@
mamba

Postby SirFirestorm » Mon 07.09.2007 6:53 pm

New York is like $11 movie tickets and $6 nachos now. I believe 8.50 for tickets was 2 or 3 years ago. People have always complained about the price but I don't watch too many movies at the theaters anymore thanks to the internet. I suppose thats probably why the movies are so expensive if less people watch movies at the movies.
SirFirestorm

Postby bombush » Mon 07.09.2007 6:59 pm

thx a lot, you might want to put the words "SPOILER" next time

With all those newspaper or magazine articles saying so (readers being left curious who exactly), it wouldn't occur to me that there are people who don't know that in Potter books somebody always dies. Although I hate spoilers I wouldn't consider this one (if Hatori didn't say the name of the character of course).
But I guess it was a new information for you.
bombush

Postby AJBryant » Mon 07.09.2007 9:20 pm

mamba wrote:

Dude, the book has been out for YEARS. I even saw people walking around the bookstore when it was still in the second or third day of sales with T-shirts saying (run mouse over following text to see it) Snape kills Dumbledore. I mean, that's hardly a spoiler anymore, but if you want... <shrug>
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby tanuki » Mon 07.09.2007 9:35 pm

mamba wrote:
thx a lot, you might want to put the words "SPOILER" next time

That's not a "spoiler" at all. It doesn't "spoil" anything of your reading experience because she didn't say who dies. It can actually enhance your pleasure because at every risk that appears you'll be thinking: "Could he/she be the one who dies?".
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby chikara » Mon 07.09.2007 9:39 pm

According to this research cinema ticket prices in the USA are second cheapest to India in terms of minutes worked at the average wage to earn the purchase price of a ticket. Japan comes in at 22nd and double the minutes worked compared to the USA.

Here most cinemas charge about $18 to see a movie but Tuesdays are half price. Some of the smaller independent cinemas charge less than $10 for all sessions in order to compete with the multiplexes and megaplexes.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Infidel » Mon 07.09.2007 10:02 pm

AJBryant wrote:
mamba wrote:

Dude, the book has been out for YEARS. I even saw people walking around the bookstore when it was still in the second or third day of sales with T-shirts saying (run mouse over following text to see it) Snape kills Dumbledore. I mean, that's hardly a spoiler anymore, but if you want... <shrug>

ROFL. You forget that not everyone uses the default skin. Making those two words white made them stand out very well. That's why we have the spoiler tag :P
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Hatori » Mon 07.09.2007 10:59 pm

LOL! I'm so evil. When I went for the opening night for the 6th Harry Potter book I wore a t-shirt saying that I root all the way for Slytherin. I still have it in my closet and I think I'll wear it again this year. :D :D :D Plus it says stuff about Crazy Gary Oldman, who's my favorite character. ;)
This is possibly one of the funniest things I have EVER seen in my life.
Oh yeah, there are many unpleasant words, but bear with me. It's hilarious.
http://community.livejournal.com/m15m/2237.html

mamba wrote:
Hatori wrote:
... character dies...

I just said my favorite character. Now do you know who's my favorite Harry Potter character is? I think not! I just said the codename of my favorite character, actually. :p
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby chikara » Mon 07.09.2007 11:02 pm

Hatori wrote:
LOL! I'm so evil. When I went for the opening night for the 6th Harry Potter book I wore a t-shirt saying that I root all the way for Slytherin ....

:o :o

That's disgusting.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby aKuMu » Mon 07.09.2007 11:29 pm

HeyItsMatt wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:

I sit through 20 minutes of advertising and previews (I had a friend who deliberately went to movies 10 minutes late just to skip this, and it worked!). I possibly get to see an anti-piracy lecture to tell me about how it's John Q Public's fault the movie industry is dying, and not their own (while I'm sitting there PAYING for their movie, thanks!). Finally the movie starts, and usually it's 2 hours of excessive, disorienting CGI and characters I couldn't care less about or remember five minutes after the end.

Only 20 minutes? I cant remember which movie it was, but once I had to endure 1 Hour and 30 minutes of Trailers and Commercials.... The thing is that you never know how long the advertisings are each time... and we have to pay ~ 9.5$ here in Germany at Cinemaxx...
Last edited by aKuMu on Mon 07.09.2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby furin » Tue 07.10.2007 3:58 am

chikara wrote:
According to this research cinema ticket prices in the USA are second cheapest to India in terms of minutes worked at the average wage to earn the purchase price of a ticket. Japan comes in at 22nd and double the minutes worked compared to the USA.

Thank you for the link. I've heard that Japanese people used to say "Only Japanese cinema tichets are expensive but other countries' are not". That was untrue.
furin

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan