Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Going to the movie theatre.

Going to the movie theatre.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby Hatori » Tue 07.10.2007 3:38 pm

chikara wrote:
Hatori wrote:
LOL! I'm so evil. When I went for the opening night for the 6th Harry Potter book I wore a t-shirt saying that I root all the way for Slytherin ....

:o :o

That's disgusting.

;) My dad and I always have a thing for the enemies in books and movies. They're always so cool.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
User avatar
Hatori
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Thu 10.13.2005 10:31 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Native language: English
Gender: Female

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.10.2007 4:01 pm

i think you try hard to act evil. but deep down inside you are nothing more than a stuffed teddy bear.. throw off the act and try to be real.. it's invigorating.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby Hatori » Tue 07.10.2007 4:16 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
i think you try hard to act evil. but deep down inside you are nothing more than a stuffed teddy bear.. throw off the act and try to be real.. it's invigorating.


Yeah. That's me all right. Exactly.
I once took this quiz online that my unconcious mind is driven by love. LOL I'm such a softy. In fact I cried from this song I was listening to last night. I also cry at the end of video games sometimes. :o :(
That song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqqynfqE_0
My favorite lines:
These days there's dudes getting’ facials
Manicured, waxed, and Botoxed
With deep spray-on tans and creamy lotiony hands
You can't grip a tackle box

Yeah with all of these men linin’ up to get neutered
And headin’ out to be feminized
But I don't highlight my hair, I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
User avatar
Hatori
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Thu 10.13.2005 10:31 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Native language: English
Gender: Female

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby john2 » Fri 07.13.2007 6:33 pm

Hatori wrote:
Recently I saw a movie earlier this week and there's this threatre that if you go for the first movie of the day shown, it costs $3 to get in. THAT'S INSANELY AWESOME!!
I also feel guilty if somebody invites me to a movie that I've already seen. :( Last year for Pirates2 I was invited to go see it the first day and it was sold out. So then I went to see another movie that I've already seen before. I know this rich chick and she usually sees movies two or four times in the theatre if she likes it and gets invited often. :@
Drive ins are so cool. I went to a drive in once and I saw Harry Potter3 and Shrek2 I think. OH! I'm going to beg and beg to see Harry Potter5 this Wednesday. I mean, I hate going to movie theatres, but I want to see this movie the first night because it's something fun to do. I'm so sad because in the book my favorite character dies. Of course, in every movie, manga, or TV show my favorite character either smokes, dies, or has a combination of both. :o

curiously di we like all the same character's?
User avatar
john2
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue 10.18.2005 5:32 pm

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby CometBelle » Fri 07.13.2007 6:45 pm

Wow..going to see a movie in other places is expensive! In the town I live in, it costs $4 for a ticket, and the snacks are really inexpensive, too: nothing over $5. Of course, we only have one movie playing at a time, and usually the movie plays two weeks to a month after it first comes out in theaters.

Things are getting more and more expensive every day, right? Yeah..
CometBelle
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun 06.24.2007 2:48 pm

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby hyperconjugated » Fri 07.13.2007 6:49 pm

Image
HARRY POTHEAD XDDDDDDDDDDD
did i just just step over it?
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
User avatar
hyperconjugated
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri 05.06.2005 5:12 pm
Location: Finland
Native language: Finnish

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby Hatori » Fri 07.13.2007 8:22 pm

Oh, poor Harry! He's such a Pothead!

John2, I think we may just have all of the same favorite characters in every piece of material ever made. :o
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
User avatar
Hatori
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Thu 10.13.2005 10:31 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Native language: English
Gender: Female

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby SenescenceReign » Fri 07.13.2007 9:24 pm

Ahhh, the film industry.

I did one year of hard time at the AMC 24 at our local mall. I did it all, usher (remind me to tell you the horrors of what I'd found in different theaters), concession stand (both stands), "booth" (that dream job of putting the films on projectors). I stood there and took tickets.

There was only one thing you could enjoy about a job like that. Selling popcorn for $7 or more for a bag of popcorn (the bigger ones), and then dumping whatever spills on the floor. These people are begging for it and we're chucking giant garbage bags of it out every night. And, for further hilarity, eating it whenever you feel like for absolutely free.

For the most part, fighting off ROUSs, (rats of unusual size) mixing soda syrup, water, and co2 balancing, candy stocking and the general physical labor of cleaning a giant theater (seating over 1600 people) in less than 5 minutes with only one or two others to assist was the name of the game.

I wonder if working at one in Japan is easier...?
/relurk
User avatar
SenescenceReign
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue 06.05.2007 7:11 pm

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby chikara » Sun 07.15.2007 9:50 pm

Hatori wrote: ;) My dad and I always have a thing for the enemies in books and movies. ....
It would still be disgusting if you were "rooting" for the good guys.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.17.2007 10:38 am

SenescenceReign wrote:
Ahhh, the film industry.

I did one year of hard time at the AMC 24 at our local mall. I did it all, usher (remind me to tell you the horrors of what I'd found in different theaters), concession stand (both stands), "booth" (that dream job of putting the films on projectors). I stood there and took tickets.

There was only one thing you could enjoy about a job like that. Selling popcorn for $7 or more for a bag of popcorn (the bigger ones), and then dumping whatever spills on the floor. These people are begging for it and we're chucking giant garbage bags of it out every night. And, for further hilarity, eating it whenever you feel like for absolutely free.

For the most part, fighting off ROUSs, (rats of unusual size) mixing soda syrup, water, and co2 balancing, candy stocking and the general physical labor of cleaning a giant theater (seating over 1600 people) in less than 5 minutes with only one or two others to assist was the name of the game.

I wonder if working at one in Japan is easier...?


i dunno, it doesn't seem to me from what you have mentioned above that it was too hard.. in that case, not being too hard, how could it be any easier.. smile and hand out stuff.. clean and keep it clean.. pretty simple if you ask me..
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby spin13 » Tue 07.17.2007 11:33 am

One time on the Harry Potter website the sorting hat put me into Gryffindor. Then my friend Justin said he was in Gryffindor too. I think it puts everyone in there because, man, would I be disappointed if I didn't make Gryffindor. Think how the 8 year olds would feel if they were in Slytherin! They would probably think, "I'm evil. There's nothing I can do about it. I'm going to shoot my mom."
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed 04.06.2005 9:38 pm
Location: Tokyo
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.17.2007 2:14 pm

wow, so you and your friend got put in gryffindor and you assume that it puts everyone in there? you skills of deduction are so powerful.. but you are so wrong.. oh so wrong..
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby katafei » Tue 07.17.2007 2:53 pm

sssssssssssoo wrong
We are all but images of our time
User avatar
katafei
 
Posts: 1766
Joined: Sun 07.09.2006 9:56 am
Location: A'veen
Native language: Dutch; Female

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby SenescenceReign » Tue 07.17.2007 3:23 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
pretty simple if you ask me..


As with any job, the trouble lay in dealing with the jerkwads who came in every night. And in the rush periods. I literally took to wearing big clunky combat boots to work just to get over the mounds of popcorn so I could serve my customers. Also, if you ever had to take care of the popper, the horrendous things it would do to your skin... And I don't mean pimples. I only cared for it a few times (I could talk the poor teenage guys who worked there into doing it for me) but I still have at least one hot-oil burn scar. :(

spin13 wrote:
I think it puts everyone in there because, man, would I be disappointed if I didn't make Gryffindor.


Narrow-minded much?

Ravenclaw represent! <throws up the horns>
/relurk
User avatar
SenescenceReign
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue 06.05.2007 7:11 pm

RE: Going to the movie theatre.

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.17.2007 4:20 pm

SenescenceReign wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
pretty simple if you ask me..


As with any job, the trouble lay in dealing with the jerkwads who came in every night. And in the rush periods. I literally took to wearing big clunky combat boots to work just to get over the mounds of popcorn so I could serve my customers. Also, if you ever had to take care of the popper, the horrendous things it would do to your skin... And I don't mean pimples. I only cared for it a few times (I could talk the poor teenage guys who worked there into doing it for me) but I still have at least one hot-oil burn scar. :(


every job has it's hazardous parts. we deal with concrete panels (some upwards of 30,000 lbs and over 30 feet long and 15 feet tall and 6 inches thick.) just think of what that can do to a body if safety isn't adhered to. we also deal with pretentioned and prestressed cables. these are used to load a panel with stress to resists the counterstress that wind and shear put on a panel that is cladding a building. if one of those strands pops and hits someone, well, let's just say, cleaning up the peices isn't exactly a neat proposition.

why do I mention that? well, only to point out, that every job is hazerdous and tedious. it's when someone complains about what they do that the job starts to get worse.

Find something you like to do, then, even when things bog down, you aren't bored or tired and accidents won't happen
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests