Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Becoming a nurse in Japan

Becoming a nurse in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Becoming a nurse in Japan

Postby blahblahblah » Mon 07.09.2007 12:36 pm

(I hope this is the right place to post. If not, moderators please take care of this topic o_O)

So, I'm wondering what is the process of becoming a nurse in Japan? You know how in the US you have to complete 4 years of college before you can go to medical school, so what about Japan?

And I heard that even in medical schools (in the US) you don't really get to go to the hospital and do the actual work much until you compete for residency. Whereas in some Asian countries, I know there are colleges specialized in medicine (Seoul National University has a College of Medicine that teaches medical courses for undergrad level), and you get to do some work (clerkship?) in the hospital when you're still in training (as undergrad or grad). Is that true for Japan as well? How is it like there?

By the way, I'd like to be a hospital nurse if that helps. I'm also wondering what level of Japanese in the JPLT should I be in order to become a nurse in Japan, and what sort of vocabulary words I should learn. I'm 14 years old at the moment, so I have plenty of time to study!

I appreciate any tips, advice, and answers to my questions. Thank you very much!! =D
blahblahblah

RE: Becoming a nurse in Japan

Postby katafei » Mon 07.09.2007 1:43 pm

four years of college before you can enter medical school?
Is that college as in high school, or college as in university?

I imagine you would need a pretty good grasp of the language before working as a nurse anywhere. Communication is not unimportant.
I could think of a word list, but I would probably be banned from this forum :)
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby AJBryant » Mon 07.09.2007 1:50 pm

If you want to work in the medical profession in Japan -- and pass their tests -- you'll need JLPT 1.

Hell, I wouldn't deal with any medical person who couldn't speak fluently. Kinda life-and-death, no?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby katafei » Mon 07.09.2007 1:55 pm

In Dutch, nursing is not a medical profession, but a 'paramedical' one.
And you'd have to be a really lousy nurse not to spot a life-threatening situation. No need for many words, then, trust me.

Still, lending an ear to major, and often more important, minor worries is probably the biggest chunk of the work load.
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan