Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - sushi is food right?

sushi is food right?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

sushi is food right?

Postby Ninjuninju » Mon 07.09.2007 3:59 pm

this question has probably been established before but since I am new I don't want to flip through 22 pages of forums and search every one of them to find out.

(don't worry I know what a sushi is.)

Anyways in Japanese customs it is said people don't put soysauce into rice when they eat. But how come they do it for the sushi? there is rice in it....
Ninjuninju

RE: sushi is food right?

Postby ruisu81 » Mon 07.09.2007 4:27 pm

Yes, sushi is food. One of the best foods ever!

I don't know the answer, but I've seen Japanese people put soy sauce on rice before...

I was also told a custom that you should eat every grain of rice, out of respect for...(I forget, maybe the farmers?)...but I see a lot of people leave grains of rice too :p
ruisu81

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 07.09.2007 4:38 pm

the japanese are very cautious of mixing anything with their rice.. there are a few exceptions.. curry rice, chahan, etc. but most times, it's just white rice. now, they also put furikake which can be multiple types of things on top of the rice, but not always.

the sushi is dipped into shoyu (soy sauce) with the fish side down or away from the rice, so as to flavor the item on the rice and not the rice itself. dipping the rice side down is frowned upon, but it won't get you put in jail or anything.. lol

(I found out that traditionally one does not mix wasabi in the shoyu, even though it seems most of the people in tohoku like to mix the two together. so that might be a cultural or territorial thing.)
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Ninjuninju » Mon 07.09.2007 5:04 pm

hmm.... that makes sense. lol
but if the sushi is flipped upside to dip into the shoyu wouldn't that destroy the perfectly made sushi by the chef?
Ninjuninju

Postby ruisu81 » Mon 07.09.2007 5:09 pm

Ohh, I learned some new J-Culture today :)
ruisu81

Postby I-samu » Tue 07.10.2007 1:06 am

My mom and Grandma told me it was rude table manners to put soy sauce in your white rice.
[][][][]
I-samu

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 07.10.2007 5:41 am

Never cared for soy sauce on my rice, but salt on rice is delicious.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby keatonatron » Tue 07.10.2007 9:28 am

Why do so many people create new threads with a question in the title that actually isn't their question? I'm so sick of seeing some stupid question in the title and then opening the thread to find that the first post is "I know the answer is no."

And the soy sauce isn't for the rice, it's for the fish that's on the top of the rice. It's simply really difficult to try to apply the sauce only to the fish (and stupid since it's all going to be mashed together one second later anyway).
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.10.2007 10:35 am

well the thread did what the op intended.. it got your attention.. good, bad or indifferent. :o
two_heads_talking

Postby tanuki » Tue 07.10.2007 11:05 am

keatonatron wrote:
Why do so many people create new threads with a question in the title that actually isn't their question? I'm so sick of seeing some stupid question in the title and then opening the thread to find that the first post is "I know the answer is no."

It's nice to see that someone else also cares for accurate thread titles! ;)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Hatori » Tue 07.10.2007 3:49 pm

tanuki wrote:
keatonatron wrote:

It's nice to see that someone else also cares for accurate thread titles! ;)

I hate it when people change the complete topic of what the thread is in the first place too. ;) :p
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan