Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - eating on the streets

eating on the streets

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

eating on the streets

Postby Ninjuninju » Wed 07.11.2007 11:02 pm

fine i'll stick to my titles....

but you're not allowed to eat on the streets?
is the rule still followed?>
Ninjuninju
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun 07.08.2007 7:05 pm

RE: eating on the streets

Postby Hatori » Wed 07.11.2007 11:21 pm

Eating while walking in the streets is flat out rude. In Japan it's sort of like a "caveman" sort of thing. It's only okay for children to eat while they're walking without getting dirty looks or if you're at a special event and there's food to buy and eat.

It's a no-no considering people's manners and courtesy.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
User avatar
Hatori
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Thu 10.13.2005 10:31 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Native language: English
Gender: Female

RE: eating on the streets

Postby kozajp » Thu 07.12.2007 12:39 am

You know, I guess it all depends where in Japan you are because I have seen both. The stares when you do walk and eat and then people not giving a rip. In either case I do what I please. They may deem it as rude but that doesn't stop me from eating on the run.
User avatar
kozajp
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon 01.09.2006 8:21 pm

RE: eating on the streets

Postby Ninjuninju » Thu 07.12.2007 1:20 am

hmm well they say no eating but did they ever say no drinking?
Ninjuninju
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun 07.08.2007 7:05 pm

RE: eating on the streets

Postby Hatori » Thu 07.12.2007 1:44 am

I honestly don't know how to answer that. lol. I think that'd be okay.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
User avatar
Hatori
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Thu 10.13.2005 10:31 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Native language: English
Gender: Female

RE: eating on the streets

Postby keatonatron » Thu 07.12.2007 9:14 am

Drinking is fine.

In fact, there are no "alcohol in public" laws, so it's perfectly fine to crack open a beer as you're walking down a crowded street.

"but you're not allowed to eat on the streets"

Who says? Your grade school teacher? It's considered impolite, but it's not a law.
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: eating on the streets

Postby NocturnalOcean » Fri 07.13.2007 8:50 am

Yeah I see people eat often on the streets here in Tokyo. But I guess it often comes down to that if people walk in large masses, you don't eat, but if you walk where not much people are it is considered more okey. Same thing in Norway too, if I see someone eat just walking where there are no people, I don't mind, but if a dude comes with a big burger mashing through the most crowded place, maybe spilling food on people, I highly see that as a rude behaviour.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon 03.12.2007 12:43 pm
Native language: Norwegian

RE: eating on the streets

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 07.13.2007 9:00 am

Foreigners love to regale each other with the "it's rude to eat on the streets" thing.

They should really check the copyright dates on the books they get that from.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

RE: eating on the streets

Postby spin13 » Sat 07.14.2007 1:27 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Foreigners love to regale each other with the "it's rude to eat on the streets" thing.


I have only once been subjected to the overt objections of a fellow pedestrian for my doing such a thing and it was by a foreigner. On any holiday or pleasant Saturday afternoons, it is quite common for beer to be served from a keg out front of the local liquor store. It is as common to relax in the shade while drinking as it is to stroll the surrounding market, plastic cup in hand.

Even eating and drinking, within reason, on the trains is tolerated and you will receive no more stares or diverted eyes than normal.

-Eric
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed 04.06.2005 9:38 pm
Location: Tokyo
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: eating on the streets

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 07.14.2007 7:56 am

spin13 wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
Foreigners love to regale each other with the "it's rude to eat on the streets" thing.


I have only once been subjected to the overt objections of a fellow pedestrian for my doing such a thing and it was by a foreigner. On any holiday or pleasant Saturday afternoons, it is quite common for beer to be served from a keg out front of the local liquor store. It is as common to relax in the shade while drinking as it is to stroll the surrounding market, plastic cup in hand.

Even eating and drinking, within reason, on the trains is tolerated and you will receive no more stares or diverted eyes than normal.

-Eric


I have lots of photos I have taken of Japanese walking down the street eating and drinking. Usually people in Tokyo chowing down between their train station and workplace on the way to work in the morning. Nobody gives them a second glance, much less a look indicative of disgust at some faux pas.

It is almost always our fellow foreigners who get incredibly uptight about crap they have either learned from outdated sources or have had passed along to them from other foreigners who have passed them along by word-of-mouth, generation-to-generation, always accepting them as golden nuggets of unquestionable wisdom shat straight from the ass of God. Things the Japanese themselves largely quit caring about or observing themselves years ago.

It is what I call "out-Japanesing the Japanese", and is a common malady among foreigners. The most annoying situations come when sitting down to a meal of Japanese food with them and receiving a most unwelcome lecture on how one is "supposed to" eat various dishes. I always cut them off short and tell them to mind their own effing business and let me enjoy my meal as I see fit.

"Who is paying for my meal?"
"You are."
"Who worked to earn the money to pay for it?"
"You did."
"Who is eating it?"
"You are."
"In what way am I inconveniencing you personally?"
"Not at all."
"Then shut the eff up and have better sense than to bother a fat man when he's eating. It's the one thing we take seriously."

On the rare occasions when Japanese people attempt to educate me, they get the same treatment.

If the Johnny-come-latelys want to impress each other at mealtime, fine and dandy, but leave me the hell out of it. I'm just trying to enjoy my meal my own way and got over the need to prove anything a long time ago.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Sat 07.14.2007 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

RE: eating on the streets

Postby ghosthacker » Sun 07.15.2007 12:56 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
spin13 wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
Foreigners love to regale each other with the "it's rude to eat on the streets" thing.


I have only once been subjected to the overt objections of a fellow pedestrian for my doing such a thing and it was by a foreigner. On any holiday or pleasant Saturday afternoons, it is quite common for beer to be served from a keg out front of the local liquor store. It is as common to relax in the shade while drinking as it is to stroll the surrounding market, plastic cup in hand.

Even eating and drinking, within reason, on the trains is tolerated and you will receive no more stares or diverted eyes than normal.

-Eric


I have lots of photos I have taken of Japanese walking down the street eating and drinking. Usually people in Tokyo chowing down between their train station and workplace on the way to work in the morning. Nobody gives them a second glance, much less a look indicative of disgust at some faux pas.


.


hahaha..and with the time these workers have for lunch or the time they devote to their commutes they gotta learn to eat on the run :)

One of the funniest things I saw was how fast the Japanese worker gulps down his noodles to make it back to the office in what seems to be a 15 min lunch break.
Last edited by ghosthacker on Sun 07.15.2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ghosthacker
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu 12.28.2006 10:39 pm


Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests