Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Epidemic

Epidemic

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Epidemic

Postby keatonatron » Mon 08.06.2007 10:26 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
My wife would get chikaned by the same guy every friday on her way to school on the subways.

This is pretty bad and a real problem, but I can't help but think that much of the rest of the "epidemic" is simply a lot of misunderstanding.

Sometimes I'll feel something scrounging around at my backside, and when I think it's someone going for my wallet and turn to look, it's simply the briefcase of the guy behind me who isn't even facing the same direction.

I think it'd be very easy for women to think they are being groped or assaulted, when the assumed criminal doesn't even realize what they're touching and is simply adjusting to stand more comfortably.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 08.06.2007 11:14 pm

keatonatron wrote:
I think it'd be very easy for women to think they are being groped or assaulted, when the assumed criminal doesn't even realize what they're touching and is simply adjusting to stand more comfortably.

Accordig to my female friends, the groping is never just a "felt like someone was touching my ass" and more of a "there were hands 揉んでるing where there shouldn't be 揉んでるing" :o
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 08.07.2007 1:21 pm

yeah there is a big difference between a finger in the wrong place and a breifcase nudging you.. however, with the paranoia that it sets out, there are those that could and do overreact to it as well. the odd thing here is that there are freaks on both sides of the groping. each one taking advantage of another to get their rocks off.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan