Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What do you like about Japan?

What do you like about Japan?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: What do you like about Japan?

Postby doinkies » Tue 10.23.2007 2:17 pm

Not to mention, the doink apparently didn't learn that the word "aquarium" is 水族館 and not 海自動物店! No wonder the ladies on the plane didn't know what the doink they were talking about! (I can picture them trying to figure out what a "sea automatic things store" is...) Apparently, in their vigorous kanji studies, they also didn't learn the concept of "radicals" either -_- Nor did they bother to learn anything else about the language...

I love how they decided to look for some doinky hentai manga too...not to mention generalize all manga as 'sexy comics' :roll:

This whole travelogue is so condescending! It reminds me of some comments from angry eikaiwa teachers I've read, who referred to Japan as "silly Moonland" and other such nonsense. Those types of doinks give good gaijin a bad name. I definitely do not want to act like those doinks did when going to Japan.
Last edited by doinkies on Tue 10.23.2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 10.23.2007 2:27 pm

doinkies wrote:

This whole travelogue is so condescending! .

How the doink else would you expect someone who has no idea what teh country is like to portray this? If in his honest opinion that is what he thinks, would you have him ammend it to appease you sensibilities? Would you have him curb his lust for the adventure because you are jaded against eikaiwa teachers that he probably never knew?

I ask you... What the doink makes a doink a doink, when just doinking around is so doinking annoying?
two_heads_talking

Postby doinkies » Tue 10.23.2007 2:39 pm

♪A doink is a doink of course of course...♪

...that doesn't really fit, does it.

Anyway...I have no problem with someone with "lust for adventure" going to different countries and experiencing them. My problem is with the whole attitude of this person, and how even though he clearly knows little about the place, he acts like a know-it-all. I wouldn't ask him to edit it or take it down in any way - an opinion is an opinion, even if it's a stupid one - but I can certainly make fun of this person for being a doink. And Mike Cash did the exact same thing when he originally posted this link on a newsgroup, and other posters here have also expressed their shock over the sheer doinkiness of that site.
Last edited by doinkies on Tue 10.23.2007 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Postby Gundaetiapo » Tue 10.23.2007 8:47 pm

レろろて Heisig skillz.

I ask them about the Osaka Aquarium ... but they don’t know what an aquarium is, so I write “ocean animal shop” 海自動物店.
Gundaetiapo

Postby Oracle » Tue 10.23.2007 10:48 pm

Gundaetiapo wrote:
レろろて Heisig skillz.

I ask them about the Osaka Aquarium ... but they don’t know what an aquarium is, so I write “ocean animal shop” 海自動物店.

Obvious mistake aside, it probably didn't help that 海自 is short for 海上自衛隊 - the Japanese maritime defense force (i.e 'navy').

I've seen a lot of debate about the Heisig method but never really looked into it before. Now I've seen the results though I know which side I'll be taking next time a kanji-learning debate flares up :)
Last edited by Oracle on Tue 10.23.2007 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oracle

Postby doinkies » Tue 10.23.2007 11:24 pm

I don't think this guy used Heisig. He certainly doesn't credit Heisig's book in his list of books about kanji.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Postby flagofsurrender » Wed 10.24.2007 10:48 am

Well, for a beginner, I take offense to the ignorance!

As for what I like about Japan:
1. It seemed like one huge adventure, especially in Tokyo.
2. Yokohama (great day trip)
3. Food
4. Being immersed in Japanese even if for a limited amount of time.
flagofsurrender

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 10.24.2007 1:42 pm

don't take offense. people are too easily offended anymore. in fact it seems a trend to find things to be offended by so we can get all up in arms about them. Sure the person isn't the smartest and isn't the most brilliant and conveying what they think, but to be honest who really is?

Do not each and every one of us have this same sort of "condescending" attitude when it comes to each of us thinking we are right about something? Even if we are right, does it matter? presonally I find that whole business of offense and taking offense as a cowards way out of communication and a lame excuse to not accept that others might feel differently than we do.

It doesn't always have to come to race, creed, religion or politics for people to cry foul when their feelings are hurt. guess what? Your feelings will get hurt everyday if you hide behind your alleged offenses.

anyways, none of what I had to say has anything to do with the OP's topic and hardly any of the last page did either. so there...
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Wed 10.24.2007 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby Igirisu_gaz » Wed 10.24.2007 8:34 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:

In fact, one of the things I liked the least about Japan was how people treated me. Politeness becomes rudeness when after 2 years people are still treating you like a weekend guest who knows nothing about Japan.

Funny that. It's the thing that immediatley struck me when I saw the thread title, other minor irritations come when people, who despite know you have a reasonable understanding of Japanese will talk to you via the proxy of someone who speaks English , all well and good if a conversation has failed, but defaulting to an English speaker to say "Would you like coffee?" is a bit much really.

Things I like far outweigh that though:

Food,
Drink,
The volume of things to do and see,
People,
Enkai's,
Relaxed atmosphere (place dependant of course),
Everything works,
Karaoke,
The chance to study Japanese.

OVerall it just "suits" me more than my previous situation.
何でやねん?
Igirisu_gaz

Postby Deidara-kun » Thu 10.25.2007 12:21 pm

everything ^w^
It's your life........Deidara just controls it...
Deidara-kun

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 10.25.2007 2:31 pm

Forced to add yet another anime sig image to Adblock......
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby tanuki » Thu 10.25.2007 6:18 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Forced to add yet another anime sig image to Adblock......

I'm seriously considering doing that.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby AJBryant » Thu 10.25.2007 7:09 pm

Well, if it's not replaced by tomorrow (it's too big for our specs!) I'll be replacing it with something.... special. <cue evil laughter>

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 10.29.2007 9:54 am

Oct 29th and it's still not changed.. (hint hint.. )
two_heads_talking

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan