Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Should I give up my dream

Should I give up my dream

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Should I give up my dream

Postby Duelley49 » Sun 08.19.2007 6:29 pm

Should I give up my dream of moving to Japan? Apparently all you bastards think I'm some otaku freak. snd that I should stay home and hate my life. You all can rot in Hell you old ****ing bastards. I'll give it up and wait for death's sweet embrace.
Duelley49

RE: Should I give up my dream

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 08.19.2007 6:33 pm

You can aim for going to Japan if you want. You said you were going for a while next summer, which is a good way to try it out.

People were just saying that moving to another country may not solve your problems; in fact, it may create more problems. A lot of people don't find Japan lives up to their expectations. When I went over there for the JET program, I expected to stay the full 3 years. In reality I only stayed 2, and I barely even wanted to stay for 1.

Just be realistic. Take steps to fix what's wrong in your life now, and you'll probably find Japan a more enjoyable experience in the end.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Duelley49 » Sun 08.19.2007 6:39 pm

What's wrong in my life is caused by a chemical imbalance. I can't change that. That'll always be there and I'll have it the rest of my life. Either I like Japan or I go home and wait to die. There would be nothing for me so life would become pointless
Duelley49

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 08.19.2007 6:47 pm

How are you planning on going to Japan anyway?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby pubju » Sun 08.19.2007 7:20 pm

Why are you asking us if we think you should go to Japan? Why do you care what a bunch of Anonymous people on the Internet think?

If you want to go, go. If you don't, don't.
pubju

Postby Hatori » Sun 08.19.2007 7:33 pm

Dude, try not to freak. :|
What has everybody done to you to spazz and use innopropriate language?
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby saraLynne » Sun 08.19.2007 10:15 pm

I've known bipolar people. I'm related to someone with CP, and I have several birth defects myself. I can relate to you and your problems.

You have become fixated on a dream, and people are just trying to keep you from putting Japan on such a high pedestal.

It won't solve your problems. People in Japan are still people, and people for the most part suck. They really will never cater to you or fawn over you. Your lonliness is not going to be solved just by switching countries. Sorry if that seems cruel to you, but I think you'd rather not have people here blowing smoke up your ass.

You maybe should be asking questions about medical treatment. What are you going to need over there, and how much money are you going to have available? I doubt a gaijin can get any sort of government aid from their country, so you're looking at out of pocket expenses, while here in the US you can get medical care (whether you feel it's adequate or not).

People aren't poopoo-ing your dream just for giggles and grins. You ought to be looking at the big picture, and especially from the medical perspective.
saraLynne

Postby Kumani » Sun 08.19.2007 10:19 pm

do what you want, you're just letting the people that said that to you win
Kumani

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 08.19.2007 10:34 pm

I doubt a gaijin can get any sort of government aid from their country,

Japan has universal health insurance. Applies to foreigners as well.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby JaySee » Sun 08.19.2007 10:36 pm

I dont think anyone is telling you not to go to Japan. If it's a holiday i'd say go, it'll be a very interesting experience, especially for someone interested in the country. The problem is though that that's just what Japan is: a country, which means it also has its share of problems. I'd encourage you to go on studying about it, but i don't think it's wise to think Japan is a utopia without any negatives, because when do you move there and actually find out that it's not all you expected/hoped it to be, the disappointment might be big.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby Shirasagi » Sun 08.19.2007 11:46 pm

A dream of going to Japan? By all means, come to Japan. For a short visit, or a longer stay if you like. I think experience living in another country is extremely beneficial. It's often said that when you live in a foreign country you learn more about your own country than about the one you're living in, and I think that's true. While you may feel alienated and disassociated with American society right now, living in Japan may (=will probably) make you appreciate America more.

A dream of going to Japan and thus being happy? Yes, give it up. It won't happen. On this forum are several ex-patriates who have been living in Japan for some years now. None of us are happy. At least, not because we are in Japan. Japan just happens to be the place where we are happy. But everyday, we deal with rude people, with people who don't respect basic rules of social interaction. People who are kind and welcoming, but as Chris suggested in another thread, in a very superficial and wearing way. People who are condescending, or who have bad attitudes about other countries. We know that, even at their best, Japanese people consider their culture unique and exclusive, and so as non-Japanese we can never be better than "associate" members of society. And we've either made our peace with that, or struggling with making our peace with that everyday of our rather mundane lives.

Expectations are a killer. I honestly urge you to consider what Mike Cash said in the overpopulation thread. The people who stay here are the ones with low expectations and/or few preconceptions. People with high expectations always find them crushed because Japan is, as JaySee noted, a country just like any other.

Finally, if your bipolar disorder can't be controlled in the States, coming to Japan (or indeed any foreign country) for a long stay is, IMO, a very, very, very bad idea. The reason for this that living in a foreign country for the first year or so is a rather stressful and psychologically draining deal. Even the most optimistic, cheerful, undepressed people around hit a point where they go into a funk for a while. Do not think it won't happen to you -- it happens to everyone. Some people come out of it and decide to leave. Others deal with it and decide to stay. But if you have trouble with bouts of depression, it may be even worse than normal. Imagine: you're depressed and suicidal living in America. You go to Japan, hoping you will find happiness and peace of mind there. But, just like everybody, you go through a funk as culture shock, stress, and the language/social barrier hit you. Now you're really depressed in Japan. And if you were depressed and suicidal in America, and hoped you would be happy in Japan, but find yourself even more depressed in Japan, what then?

So, make plans to come to learn the language and come to Japan! But don't dream of Japan. It's just a place. I like living here, but not because my life is easier or better here. Rather, because it's challenging and more difficult. And to be honest, I probably can't sustain myself here indefinitely on that. By far the people who stay here the longest (10+ years) have something (like a good job, or a family) that keeps them here whether they like Japan or not.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby Duelley49 » Sun 08.19.2007 11:52 pm

I've decided not to go to Japan. The country is just going to destroy itself because its idiotic people are too lazy to reproduce. I don't want to see firsthand a self-imposed genocide. So, I'll just finish my last year of college and then stay home and live out my pathetic existence.
Duelley49

Postby Shirasagi » Mon 08.20.2007 12:11 am

Duelley49 wrote:
I've decided not to go to Japan. The country is just going to destroy itself because its idiotic people are too lazy to reproduce.

Well, you see, it's not that they are too lazy to reproduce. It's that they are too busy to reproduce. The husbands are working all the time, and now with women in the workforce scheduling a baby-making session can be tough. And it's a kind of catch-22. Because of the declining population everyone has to work more (to support the increasing retired population), and they have less time to make babies, and so the population declines, and they have to work more, etc. ad nauseum.

I don't want to see firsthand a self-imposed genocide.
These things are cyclical, you know.

So, I'll just finish my last year of college and then stay home and live out my pathetic existence.

Well, pathetic is as pathetic does. Good luck with your problems. I hope you find a measure of happiness.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby saraLynne » Mon 08.20.2007 1:30 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
I doubt a gaijin can get any sort of government aid from their country,

Japan has universal health insurance. Applies to foreigners as well.

Guess I'd never succeed as a policy maker. I'd have social healthcare only for citizens. Tourists would have to fend for themselves and [legal] resident aliens would have to rely on private health insurance. :P
saraLynne

Postby Infidel » Mon 08.20.2007 2:07 am

Duelley49 wrote:
I've decided not to go to Japan. The country is just going to destroy itself because its idiotic people are too lazy to reproduce. I don't want to see firsthand a self-imposed genocide. So, I'll just finish my last year of college and then stay home and live out my pathetic existence.

強がる人
Last edited by Infidel on Mon 08.20.2007 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan