Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Should I give up my dream

Should I give up my dream

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Should I give up my dream

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 08.20.2007 2:14 am

saraLynne wrote:
Guess I'd never succeed as a policy maker. I'd have social healthcare only for citizens. Tourists would have to fend for themselves and [legal] resident aliens would have to rely on private health insurance. :P

Why should foreigners not be covered by health care? Foreigners pay health premiums just like every other person in Japan. Or are you just trying to say things to be inflamitory?
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby pubju » Mon 08.20.2007 3:22 am

Duelley49 wrote:
I've decided not to go to Japan. The country is just going to destroy itself because its idiotic people are too lazy to reproduce. I don't want to see firsthand a self-imposed genocide. So, I'll just finish my last year of college and then stay home and live out my pathetic existence.

Am I the only one irritated by this guy?

Damn attention seeking troll. Honestly, why would someone come to a Japanese forum just to kick up a bunch of shit about people hating him and ruining his dream? and then insult Japan with some ridiculous statement? What is the point? Do you find it funny?

Stop being such a melodramatic PoS and act mature for once in your damn life. Christ.

Oh, and Shirasagi; nice post :)
Last edited by pubju on Mon 08.20.2007 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
pubju

Postby hyperconjugated » Mon 08.20.2007 3:37 am

saraLynne wrote:
You maybe should be asking questions about medical treatment. What are you going to need over there, and how much money are you going to have available? I doubt a gaijin can get any sort of government aid from their country, so you're looking at out of pocket expenses, while here in the US you can get medical care (whether you feel it's adequate or not).

sicko ftw ;)
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby doinkies » Mon 08.20.2007 3:53 am

pubju wrote:
Am I the only one irritated by this guy?

Damn attention seeking troll. Honestly, why would someone come to a Japanese forum just to kick up a bunch of shit about people hating him and ruining his dream? and then insult Japan with some ridiculous statement? What is the point? Do you find it funny?

Stop being such a melodramatic PoS and act mature for once in your damn life. Christ.

Oh, and Shirasagi; nice post :)

I agree. This guy puts the "d" in "doink". :p I wouldn't be surprised if he'll get a swift pwning by an admin soon...
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Native language: English

Postby katafei » Mon 08.20.2007 5:04 am

Duelley49 wrote:
What's wrong in my life is caused by a chemical imbalance. I can't change that. That'll always be there and I'll have it the rest of my life. Either I like Japan or I go home and wait to die. There would be nothing for me so life would become pointless

When you realise this, you also know that how you feel now is not the fault of people here trying to give good advice.
So try to show the self control and decency not to post foul language when you're shrouded in dark clouds.

And maybe you should question your love for Japan when you're so easily swayed?

If you want to go, by all means go. Enjoy the experience.
But as people pointed out: don't expect Japan to be like a medicine.
You will take your chemical imbalance with you, wherever you go.

In the mean time you might want to put some energy into finding better solutions. Doctors may be able to find the right medication that helps you lift above this apathy.
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby AJBryant » Mon 08.20.2007 6:39 am

Duelley49 wrote:
What's wrong in my life is caused by a chemical imbalance. I can't change that. That'll always be there and I'll have it the rest of my life. Either I like Japan or I go home and wait to die. There would be nothing for me so life would become pointless

Well, since you're POSTING, you sure as hell can count to ten before hitting "post" after typing something that is likely to piss off the people you EXPECT to help you.

I don't know you from Adam, and already I can tell you that you're not high on my "favorite people" list.

If you *know* you have a problem, you need to work at not letting it own you.

doinkies wrote:
I agree. This guy puts the "d" in "doink". :p I wouldn't be surprised if he'll get a swift pwning by an admin soon...

My finger is hovering over the key now. But I do like to give people chances to redeem themselves.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby saraLynne » Mon 08.20.2007 7:49 am

Harisenbon wrote:
saraLynne wrote:
Guess I'd never succeed as a policy maker. I'd have social healthcare only for citizens. Tourists would have to fend for themselves and [legal] resident aliens would have to rely on private health insurance. :P

Why should foreigners not be covered by health care? Foreigners pay health premiums just like every other person in Japan. Or are you just trying to say things to be inflamitory?

Er... that's why I said I'd NEVER SUCCEED as a policy maker. Sorry if it came off as trying to start something, I was not being serious. You know, "If I was president, I'd just nuke Iraq and be done with it" sort of thing.

I really do apologize, though.
saraLynne

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 08.20.2007 9:59 am

Duelley49 wrote:
I've decided not to go to Japan. The country is just going to destroy itself because its idiotic people are too lazy to reproduce. I don't want to see firsthand a self-imposed genocide. So, I'll just finish my last year of college and then stay home and live out my pathetic existence.

by reading this, I can tell you are in a down swing on your bi-polar. when you posted the first one, you were on an upswing, and somewhere in the middle you hit bottom. it's tough, being bi-polar, but it isn't impossible . first off, one needs to realize that up or down, bi-polar isn't someone elses fault and blmaing people due to your current moodswing isn't going to help either.

we can help, only if you let us. if you lash out, expect to be banned. chemical imbalance or not, you are responsible for your actions. you can't control the mood, but you can control what you choose to do .. keep that in mind and have a "good" day
two_heads_talking

Postby kayuu » Mon 08.20.2007 10:11 am

Duelley49 wrote:

I'm glad that you've decided not to inflict the 'idiotic' citizens of Japan with your 'chemically inbalanced' attitude of self-pity.
kayuu

Native language: 英語

Postby Duelley49 » Mon 08.20.2007 12:34 pm

How is it self-pity when I'm worried about the people of Japan? How can you people be happy knowing Japan is going to someday become a barren wasteland?
Duelley49

Postby pubju » Mon 08.20.2007 12:45 pm

Don't you think that's a little extreme? Sure, Japan has problems, but scientific predictions of a population decrease to 64 million by 2100 is a far cry from Japan turning into a 'barren wasteland' - especially considering that there are a number of options available to combat this decline...

http://www.stat.go.jp/English/data/handbook/c02cont.htm
Last edited by pubju on Mon 08.20.2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pubju

Postby katafei » Mon 08.20.2007 12:48 pm

AJBryant wrote:
If you *know* you have a problem, you need to work at not letting it own you.

Nice one, Tony, I may just stick this on my bathroom door ;)
katafei

Postby richvh » Mon 08.20.2007 12:50 pm

Dude, you're taking the worst of alarmist predictions and exaggerating them. Japan's population will decline, but how much and at what rate is subject to change. In any case, it isn't something you have any influence over - it's the result of millions of individual choices made by the citizens of Japan. Choose something more concrete to obsess over - like whether or not you can get a degree in marine biology.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby katafei » Mon 08.20.2007 1:02 pm

...anyway, if we're going with
[the worst of alarmist predictions and exaggerating them.
the rest of the world will follow soon enough... :D

(sorry about the smiley here, I know some people don't appreciate cynicism on this subject ^_^)
katafei

Postby kayuu » Mon 08.20.2007 1:11 pm

Duelley49 wrote:
How is it self-pity when I'm worried about the people of Japan? How can you people be happy knowing Japan is going to someday become a barren wasteland?

Japan will never become a barren wasteland. Way before that happens, if it at all seems imminent (which it does not at the moment and the likelihood of it ever becoming that way is practically nil) people might just change their attitudes about it, don't you think?

A declining population at the present time does not mean that the population will continue to decline at the same rate to such an extent that there will, in the end, be nobody left existing there - in more likelihood the population will decrease to a comfortable point and maintain itself there. That, my friend, is not necessarily a bad thing.

Even if it did become a barren wasteland (probably due to some unforseeable reason like a meteor or a storm/other natural disaster and not population decline), the likelihood of it happening in my lifetime or the lifetime of all current citizens of Japan is so small that nobody really needs to care or worry about it.

And from what I can see, you barely give a shit about Japan as you have called its citizens 'idiots' and lashed out so much at those who don't give you responses that suggest that Japan is really the land of the rising sun and full of goodness and flowers that can only make one happy.
kayuu

Native language: 英語

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan