Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Do all visiting students from Japan stay with host families?

Do all visiting students from Japan stay with host families?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Do all visiting students from Japan stay with host families?

Postby sdhaku » Tue 08.28.2007 1:25 am

I'm posting here because this is more of a cultural question but I'm just curious: do all visiting Japanese students usually stay with host families? I'm studying Japanese and my roommate just moved out last month so I thought it would be really cool if I could rent the room to an international student and maybe practice Japanese around the house. Weird thing is that NOT ONE JAPANESE student has responded to any of my posts. I put some up on Craig's List, even CL Japan and still nothing. When I talked to someone at one of the language schools where I live they told me all the Japanese students here stay with host families. Is this true? Maybe there's a better place to advertise my room availability. I'll need to rent it soon but I would like more details if anyone here can help me out. :o
Last edited by sdhaku on Tue 08.28.2007 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
sdhaku

RE: Do all visiting students from Japan stay with host famil

Postby spin13 » Tue 08.28.2007 6:20 am

A Japanese student is traveling all the way to whatever country you live in to experience something unique and you expect them to show up at your house, move in, and tutor you instead? Are you serious?
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 08.28.2007 8:35 am

rent your room to someone who can afford it. (japanese students, are not your target audience)
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Tue 08.28.2007 10:47 am

However, there are some that move in like regular students. My best Japanese friend right now is living in Canada with some roommates rather than a host family. The problem is the budget of a Japanese student is rather limited. My friend got close to moving back to Japan when he was termporarily out of work. If nobody is responding to your ads, they're probly looking for the cheapest possible boarding (usually host families) and convenient location (it's harder for them to move around in an English speaking country). However, you do have on your side whatever level of Japanese you speak. That's more inviting than moving somewhere that you don't know if people will ignore you because of your limited ability to speak.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan