Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Fingerprinting upon entry?

Fingerprinting upon entry?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Fingerprinting upon entry?

Postby Takeo Saeki » Mon 10.29.2007 1:37 am

I just saw something on japan-guide.com that said something about how foreigners are now going to be photographed and fingerprinted upon entry into Japan. Is this true? If so, how do you feel about it? Personally, i'm a little put off with the idea.
Takeo Saeki

RE: Fingerprinting upon entry?

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 10.29.2007 1:57 am

Apparently it is true, but I haven't left nor reentered the country since it was put into effect. Although I'm a little put off by the idea, it's not like it's out of the question for countries to do. I know the USA has been doing that (as well as retinal scans now, I believe?) for a while now, and I'm sure other countries are following suit.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Igirisu_gaz » Mon 10.29.2007 3:44 am

It's not yet in effect. It will become standard from November 20th iirc. In theory I'm not against the idea, however, it will mean that owners of re-entry permits can't breeze by all the tourists lining up at the Non-Japanese booth, which will iritate me no end.
何でやねん?
Igirisu_gaz

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 10.29.2007 5:02 am

Igirisu_gaz wrote:
it will mean that owners of re-entry permits can't breeze by all the tourists lining up at the Non-Japanese booth, which will iritate me no end.

Are they going to seperate it into 3 lanes (Native / Resident / Firsttimer) then? Or just have resident aliens have to go through the same booth as the First Timers? The only time I ever hear aboud this is from foreigners, so I really don't have any solid information. I should probably go look it up. ;)
Harisenbon

Postby Igirisu_gaz » Mon 10.29.2007 8:22 am

Harisenbon wrote:
Igirisu_gaz wrote:
it will mean that owners of re-entry permits can't breeze by all the tourists lining up at the Non-Japanese booth, which will iritate me no end.

Are they going to seperate it into 3 lanes (Native / Resident / Firsttimer) then? Or just have resident aliens have to go through the same booth as the First Timers? The only time I ever hear aboud this is from foreigners, so I really don't have any solid information. I should probably go look it up. ;)

Good question. I'm afraid I'm none the wiser save for rumours myself, it half seems like the airports don't know how they're going about it, an information pamphlet has been released featuring a blonde lady and for some reason a gaijin immigration officer.

Oddly it reminds me of that once episode of south park with the underpants gnomes.

Stage 1: Landing
Stage 2: ????
Stage 3: No Terrorism!

To be honest, it's more or less all guesswork on my behalf, maybe we'll still have the benefit of being able to go through the same gate as the Japanese, or maybe they'll open up another gate for the tiny number of people that fall into the "neither Japanese nor tourist" section.
何でやねん?
Igirisu_gaz

Postby katafei » Mon 10.29.2007 11:59 am

Well, slightly off topic, I once spent half a year in Belgium for a special course. When I went to the police to register, I had my fingerprints taken as well.
Felt like a common criminal, I did.

It was a very weird experience (talking about 1984 or so).
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 10.29.2007 2:17 pm

honestly I don't see anything wrong with fingerprinting imigrants. whether it's the US or other country. But, to slow down the lines as you get off an airplane to do it when you go through customs is just plain idiotic. Now, if they had a seperate area that you were to use after having cleared customs, then I am ok with that as well.

I was fingerprinted as Boyscout and really think that fingerprints, yearly photos and other important personal info should be kept. Just in case you meet with a horrible accident or other thing.

forget about all the "personal identification fraud" because currently there is more good accomplished than any bad that could come out of it.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby SirFirestorm » Mon 10.29.2007 4:34 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071026/ap_on_re_as/japan_fingerprinting_foreigners

It isn't for immigrants, it is for all foreigners entering japan, primarily tourists and non-citizens. It is supposedly for preventing terrorists from entering the country.

The gripe the critics have of this plan is perpetuating the belief that foreigners bring crime into the country and as such they are treating all tourists as criminals. Also promoting xenophobia, invasion of privacy, stuff like that.
Last edited by SirFirestorm on Mon 10.29.2007 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirFirestorm

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 10.29.2007 8:16 pm

I was thinking about it last night on my way home from work, and I assume that they're going to set up a system at every terminal, and thus resident aliens can continue to use the resident line, they just get scanned as they go through. The reasons for this are that a) people get pissy when seperated from their families for immigration and b) the lane designations change depending on what flights have come in recently.

I think the main thing that bothers me about the whole thing is, like SirFirestorm said, that all the posters and informational materials say that it is to prevent crime and terroism in Japan. As if Japanese people aren't capable of commiting acts of terrorism.

My most irksome item was the part on the "report an illegal alien" poster that said "help Japan regain the title, "Safest country in the world" by reporting illegal aliens." Because lord knows Japanese people don't kill each other.

Sorry, pre-coffee and pissy. I'll get off my soap-box now.
Harisenbon

Postby chikara » Mon 10.29.2007 9:19 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
..... As if Japanese people aren't capable of commiting acts of terrorism.....

地下鉄サリン事件
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby coco » Tue 10.30.2007 5:15 am

5 minutes movie( English version) for introducing JAPAN-VISIT.
http://nettv.gov-online.go.jp/prg/prg1203.html

I've visited USA after US−VISIT became effective, and photographed and fingerprinted. I supposed this was an acceptable idea. If I had objection to this, I wouldn't go to USA.
JAPAN-VISIT was/is designed by Accenture Ltd that deployed US-VISIT.

Harisenbon wrote:
My most irksome item was the part on the "report an illegal alien" poster that said "help Japan regain the title, "Safest country in the world" by reporting illegal aliens."

確かにこのポスターには相当問題があります。
現物を見たいのですが、いつ頃見たものか覚えていますか?
小泉(元)総理の頃の標語のようですから、2005年頃?
Last edited by coco on Tue 10.30.2007 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Shirasagi » Tue 10.30.2007 9:14 am

coco wrote:
I've visited USA after US−VISIT became effective, and photographed and fingerprinted. I supposed this was an acceptable idea. If I had objection to this, I wouldn't go to USA.

観光のために日本に来るなら、私もそう思うかもしれません。しかし、今の時点で法務省がすでに私の写真、住所、出生地や仕事先を登録しているので、これでさらに不審者扱いをされるって、やっぱり不愉快ですね。

アメリカがこの制度を始めたと言うのは、アメリカ人として恥ずかしくてなりません。まあ、アメリカの理想に基づいている気持ちなので、違う理想を持つ日本の方々にそんな気持ちを求めませんが...
Last edited by Shirasagi on Tue 10.30.2007 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 10.30.2007 8:15 pm

coco wrote:
確かにこのポスターには相当問題があります。
現物を見たいのですが、いつ頃見たものか覚えていますか?
小泉(元)総理の頃の標語のようですから、2005年頃?

僕もこの間、嫁と一緒にアメリカに帰ったとき、US-Visitにやられました。
アメリカ人なのに、そのUS-Visit検査をみてすごく嫌な感じした。
どうしてそんなにいやなのかまだはっきり分かりませんが、やっぱり
犯人扱いされるのは基本的に侮辱の感じするんだろう。

とにかく、違法入国に関するポスターを名古屋の入国管理局で見ましたが、
もう1年前ですので、もう唐チていないと思います。同じようなものが入国管理局の
HPに載せてあるから、こちらのリンクで見られます。

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/keiziban/happyou/an%20informant_070921.html
長いURLごめん、もうTJPに入ってから3年が経ちましたが、まだ短いURLの書き方を覚えられない(汗
Harisenbon

Postby Wakannai » Tue 10.30.2007 8:25 pm

When you highlight the text and hit the url button so it says
<url>text</url> but with square brackets
place an = and paste the url after the first l. e.g.
<url=http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/keiziban/happyou/an%20informant_070921.html> こちらのリンク </url>

like that, but with square brackets. :P
Last edited by Wakannai on Tue 10.30.2007 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wakannai

Postby coco » Tue 10.30.2007 10:12 pm

針さん、ありがとう。お手数をお掛けしました。 :)

アメリカがプライバシーの侵害などを理由にこれを廃止することがあるなら、きっと日本も追随すると思いますよ。 日弁連をはじめこの制度の導入に反対している組織は結高?りますから。
私個人は、治安維持と出入国手続き簡素化のためなら、この制度は容認できます。

成田空港には11月20日から「自動化ゲート」が設置されますから、そのゲートを利用すれば待ち時間は他の列に並ぶより少なくなるはずです。関空などその他の国際空港も逐次導入するものと思われます。

ご参考までに
●自動化ゲートの運用説明
http://www.moj.go.jp/NYUKAN/nyukan63-2.pdf
●自動化ゲートの実証実験
http://www.e-airport.jp/f_spt2007/promotion.html
( 「写真はあくまでイメージです」のはず^^)

自動化ゲートを利用する日本人の情報も、要請に応じて貴国に提供されるはずです。…というより、いつでもアクセス可狽ネんだろうと思います。であるとしても、私は自動化ゲートを利用すると思います。
Last edited by coco on Tue 10.30.2007 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan