Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 百狐神社

百狐神社

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

百狐神社

Postby Dehitay » Wed 11.14.2007 2:51 pm

A Japanese friend of mine mentioned that there are shrines in Japan for the artic fox which is one of my favorite creatures. I want to make plans to go and visit one of the shrines and buy a souvenir . The problem is I can't quite figure out what city and prefecture any byakko shrine is in. My guess is they would be in the north due to the locations of artic foxes, but I'm not good enough with google to actually figure out. If you know where they are or you know what search strings to actually find them in google, please tell me.

Also, as well as artic foxes, I'm interested in all foxes, wolves, and some other animals if there are shrines for any of those that you know of.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

RE: 百狐神社

Postby coco » Thu 11.15.2007 12:36 am

As a result of quick google, it seems that 百狐神社 itself is located in Suwa city, Nagano prefecture.
But as for the fox goods for souvenir, you may find them at every famous 稲荷神社, or at souvenir shops around 神社.
The (white) fox sculpture in shrine is also called 白狐(びゃっこ). However 伏見稲荷大社 explains that 白狐( "transparent fox") means "the messenger of God, not a real fox".
This page looks informative.
Regarding other animals, I remember only these. But I believe more animals can be the symbols of Shinto-Gods. 蛇 is one of them.
伊勢神宮--鶏
春日大社--鹿
日吉神社--猿
熊野神社--八咫烏(やたがらす)
My favorite one is 牛 in 湯殿山神社.
Last edited by coco on Thu 11.15.2007 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

RE: 百狐神社

Postby Dehitay » Thu 11.15.2007 1:05 am

Dang, I just realized I made a typo in my subject title. 百 and 白 have the same 音読み and they look so similar I didn't even realize what happened. Though a hundred fox shrine also sounds interesting. The Inari shrines are interesting. I'll have to make sure to visit one.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan