Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Conversational Japanese #9

Conversational Japanese #9

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Conversational Japanese #9

Postby Wes1378 » Mon 01.07.2013 9:35 pm

This video was removed there are two links in a reply below.
Last edited by Wes1378 on Sat 02.09.2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wes1378

Native language: English

Re: Conversational Japanese #9

Postby phreadom » Thu 01.10.2013 6:18 am

You might want to update this post Wes. :) The video has been removed (I'm guessing due to questions about the accuracy of some of the Japanese used in it?), so the post here with nothing but the link to a non-existent video seems odd. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Wes1378 » Sat 02.09.2013 12:08 am

Oh! I'm sorry, I left this dead link here. Yes, I pulled it because of peoples comments. Kenta Sensei used a borrowed word (ステイ) instead of たいざい. It is sad that people are so confused about the Japanese language. It is every bit as flexible as English. Everyone speaks it differently and there are so many differnt ways to say everything. Kenta is a Japanese national, he has lived in Japan all his life, yet people said a Japanese person wouldn't use ステイ. lol
I spoke at length about that in the video "State of the Gengo No Tabi Address"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iFqR2Q7bZ0

Our newest video is on the grammatical construct "の ため に” The Sensei is Japanese and is was proofed by Real live Japanese speakers just as all our videos are. : ) Please comment and share!!! We all put a lot of work into these productions just to help out our fellow pilgrims.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh8hMMOWOyU
Wes1378

Postby Ongakuka » Sat 02.09.2013 1:44 am

It is sad that people are so confused about the Japanese language. It is every bit as flexible as English. Everyone speaks it differently and there are so many differnt ways to say everything.

That's true enough. But if you're releasing a video worldwide to help people learn Japanese, don't you think you ought to be using the standard way to express oneself in Japanese? If you are getting the Japanese proofread, you should also ask your proofreaders if they themselves would use a phrase, because 滞在 will work in all contexts unlike ステイ which sounds like a Japanese person trying to give off a western feel.

Kenta is a Japanese national, he has lived in Japan all his life, yet people said a Japanese person wouldn't use ステイ. lol

Like you said, there are many different ways to say everything, but in Japan, use of language is very sensitive to the situation you are in. If shopkeepers didn't use language that makes you feel like royalty, they would likely be fired. A word like ステイ sticks out like a sore thumb because it is basically English, which is why young people might use it to be punchy, but it will raise eyebrows in a Japanese language educational video.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Wes1378 » Sun 02.17.2013 11:57 pm

In response to Ongakuka

Thanks for your reply. Let me say I'm sure you are much more knowledgeable than I. so I don't presume to argue. I do the editing, filming, and organizing for Gengo No Tabi, but I certainly am not the brains of the operation.
I lived in Japan for a year and have studied for several years and I have a long way to go yet.

I would like to propose that all serious students of the language study from many resources. You might be using a text book, two different web sites, your Pod casts, watching Japanese media, etc on a daily basis. So we see the same type material introduced in all different ways. If anyone just watches a video and goes to Japan and regurgitates phrases they learned... well, that's just a silly thought.
I use YT as a light escape from my more arduous study. When I can't draw out one more Kanji, I will go see what Victor, King of the Morons, has to say. I also feel there is a LOT of proper Japanese lessons available that aspire to some "Standardized" manner of speech.
On YouTube you will notice that videos on slang, colloquial use, obscene language, etc get a lot of views. Students are looking for the way young folks are really speaking, and that takes many many different forms, it's not always standard. So at Gengo No Tabi if a Japanese person gives us a phrase that has less common borrowed words in it, and we discover it's legit (that those crazy college kids are talking like that these days) it might make the cut. Remember every borrowed word was once a new one, and questioned by some people. If you try and avoid borrowed words you won't achieve the goal of sounding Japanese, because Japanese people use a lot of borrowed words, and new ones are being adopted all the time.
Thanks for being patient with us. We are just trying to share in the adventure that is learning the Japanese language.
Have fun studying!!!
Wes
Wes1378

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips