Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Alternative to Hiragana Times

Alternative to Hiragana Times

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Alternative to Hiragana Times

Postby sampaguita » Mon 04.29.2013 7:11 pm

I like the concept of Hiragana Times, being a bilingual reading material. I was thinking of getting a subscription, but I found the articles in the sample magazine quite boring. If I were to tutor someone who was learning English, this is NOT the type of reading material I would give.

Are there any alternatives to Hiragana Times that are more natural, I guess? When I was a young child learning English, I had story books. I tried doing that with Japanese fairy tales, but I found the grammar very "childlike", if you get what I mean. Thanks!
sampaguita

Re: Alternative to Hiragana Times

Postby Shiroisan » Tue 04.30.2013 6:05 am

yes after reading the sample articles i quickly saw the articles were not for me either. Nor was I impressed with the obnoxiously large furigana to distract you from kanji you already recognize.

I would not underestimate what can be learnt from "child-like" grammar though, depending on your level, if it holds your attention. "A treasure of Japanese Folktales" bilingual edition was good for me. If reading that is a total breeze for you though but you still want to stick with bilingual material, I'm not sure. Maybe someone else has an idea.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Re: Alternative to Hiragana Times

Postby Ongakuka » Tue 04.30.2013 7:52 am

If you haven't already, try reading おーいでてこーい by Hoshi Shin'ichi. (I once found it online for free, or you could purchase it or Kindle it or whatever.)

If you find it challenging that's a good thing. If not, it's still a great read.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips