Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question!!

Question!!

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Question!!

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 01.09.2008 10:32 am

Surrounding yourself with material that you barely understand 5% of is going to be of essentially no help to you.

For a beginner, immersion is overrated. Master the basics of the language first, then exposure and immersion will be a lot more useful because you can make some sense of what you're being exposed to.
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

RE: Question!!

Postby Chris Hart » Wed 01.09.2008 10:57 am

NocturnalOcean wrote:
HarajukuxBoy wrote:
richvh wrote:
HarajukuxBoy wrote:
California is a state in North America, which is an english speaking nation.


It is? Since when is North America a single nation, or solely English speaking?

Of course I know that America is multilingual, but the majority of people speak English or Spanish. Also, I have friends for California, and most people there speak english (depending on where you live of course).


French is also a major language together with English and Spanish.

In Michigan, it's English, Arabic, Japanese, Spanish, and some Korean. Also, smaller pockets of other languages.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
User avatar
Chris Hart
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed 07.05.2006 3:36 pm
Location: 未確認飛行物体

RE: Question!!

Postby nukemarine » Thu 01.10.2008 5:03 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Surrounding yourself with material that you barely understand 5% of is going to be of essentially no help to you.

For a beginner, immersion is overrated. Master the basics of the language first, then exposure and immersion will be a lot more useful because you can make some sense of what you're being exposed to.


Here, here. Just being around the language is not going to help. We're adults and can benefit from guided learning that children do not. However, I think the immersion as suggested above works great even before you begin your Japanese study properly. First, it's cheaper than moving to Japan. Second, you can turn it off should you need to. Third, it does get you used to the way Japanese naturally sounds which you will not get in a classroom.

Come on, we have the internet at our disposal. We don't have to go there to be there anymore. Use that to your advantage.
nukemarine
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed 10.10.2007 5:33 am

RE: Question!!

Postby gfunk » Thu 01.10.2008 5:51 am

Chris Hart wrote:
NocturnalOcean wrote:
HarajukuxBoy wrote:
richvh wrote:
HarajukuxBoy wrote:
California is a state in North America, which is an english speaking nation.


It is? Since when is North America a single nation, or solely English speaking?

Of course I know that America is multilingual, but the majority of people speak English or Spanish. Also, I have friends for California, and most people there speak english (depending on where you live of course).


French is also a major language together with English and Spanish.

In Michigan, it's English, Arabic, Japanese, Spanish, and some Korean. Also, smaller pockets of other languages.


I love it how NO ONE got richvh's question!!!! Just to refresh your geography guys, north america is composed of almost 40 countries/self governed areas. Greenland is in North America and guess what they speak? DANISH....

Sorry but people who ignore geography is a pet peeve of mine... It makes me convulse on the floor.
User avatar
gfunk
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat 10.06.2007 11:56 pm

RE: Question!!

Postby NocturnalOcean » Thu 01.10.2008 6:05 am

gfunk wrote:
Chris Hart wrote:
NocturnalOcean wrote:
HarajukuxBoy wrote:
richvh wrote:
HarajukuxBoy wrote:
California is a state in North America, which is an english speaking nation.


It is? Since when is North America a single nation, or solely English speaking?

Of course I know that America is multilingual, but the majority of people speak English or Spanish. Also, I have friends for California, and most people there speak english (depending on where you live of course).


French is also a major language together with English and Spanish.

In Michigan, it's English, Arabic, Japanese, Spanish, and some Korean. Also, smaller pockets of other languages.


I love it how NO ONE got richvh's question!!!! Just to refresh your geography guys, north america is composed of almost 40 countries/self governed areas. Greenland is in North America and guess what they speak? DANISH....

Sorry but people who ignore geography is a pet peeve of mine... It makes me convulse on the floor.


We are all aware that North America consist of 23 countries. And thus there are bound to be many different languages present. I, however, chose to comment on his comment that Spanish and English were the only major languages in North America, I assume the above poster referred to the mexican population in USA.

But when you look on North America in total, there are only 3 major languages. English, Spanish and French. If you choose to believe that Danish is a major language in North America, just because it is spoken in some parts on Greenland, then I suggest you refresh your knowledge, instead of convulsing at the floor being ignorant of what your fellow posters write.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon 03.12.2007 12:43 pm
Native language: Norwegian

RE: Question!!

Postby gfunk » Thu 01.10.2008 6:48 am

This is going too off topic... But let me clarify that YOU are giving "major languages" a totally senseless and illogical approach. Is it languages which are official languages for a North American country you want to define? Or did you arbitrarily define a limit on the amount of speakers to define a language as "major"? Either way you're just moving facts around so your comment doesn't sound as ignorant to me... it's not working though.

Don't worry about other people refreshing their knowledge, you should rather worry about your amazing short fuse and how you got all defensive after I proved you wrong kiddo. ;)
User avatar
gfunk
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat 10.06.2007 11:56 pm

RE: Question!!

Postby NocturnalOcean » Thu 01.10.2008 7:09 am

I am not defensive, and I don't see how you proved me wrong? Major languages are obviously the languages that are spoken by most people in a certain region. And in North America, that happens to be English, Spanish and French. A major language doesn't have anything to do with an official language in a country. Norwegian is the official language in Norway, but I would hardly call Norwegian a major language in Europe. If you look at North Africa, French is obviously a major language, as it is spoken by a huge group of people. So I cannot say that I am giving major languages any meaningless approach. So feel free continue your trolling.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon 03.12.2007 12:43 pm
Native language: Norwegian

RE: Question!!

Postby gfunk » Thu 01.10.2008 7:40 am

Tolling? Well I guess you're the nice guy around here huh...
I've been visiting this website for 4 years, with my 24 posts I have actually offered good info when I can. "Trolling" is not what I've been here for. I just found it funny that no one answered what richvh asked.

Around 15 million people speak French in the American continent. Out of 900 million people, it's a minority and not a majority. It's certainly not spoken by "most people" like you claim. Get what I'm talking about? That's where your argument loses grounds and where you went wrong. Maybe a majority of Quebec speaks French, but then (under your same grounds) a majority of people in Willemstad speak Dutch. Should it be a "major language". NO, because it makes no sense!

-Most people in the North American division of the content speak English.
-THEN.... a certain amount speak spanish, then french, dutch, danish, zapoteca, etc.

That's my point, you're arbitrarily calling a language "major" in an intangible sense with an unsolid definition. My point was as simple as that.

This argument is going nowhere and is offering nothing to the OP... I suggest we end it.
User avatar
gfunk
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat 10.06.2007 11:56 pm

RE: Question!!

Postby NocturnalOcean » Thu 01.10.2008 8:13 am

Sure we can end it, and maybe my English definitions of words aren't as good as yours. However, I will still argue that French has had and still has a significant inpact in the North American countries. Today it is also spoken in more that 1 country in North America. And it is the 3rd biggest language, so whether that is major or minor in your dictionary is not so important.

And yeah I do call it trolling, just jumping in a thread like that, uttering such statements as "Sorry but people who ignore geography is a pet peeve of mine... It makes me convulse on the floor." Which obviously offer absolutely nothing, but to ridicule your fellow posters. That I do take the liberty to call trolling.

But as you said, let's end it.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon 03.12.2007 12:43 pm
Native language: Norwegian

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests