Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Materials

Materials

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Materials

Postby Luocorn » Mon 12.17.2007 8:00 am

So I just picked Japanese back up a week and a half ago. Decided that it was time to really hunker down and dedicate myself to learning this language. So in a week and a half I have already set aside five different notebooks to use (and have started to use them).

I have one book to practice my handwriting and ingraining the stroke order for kana and kanji.
I have one note book for grammar notes from Tae Kim's website.
Another note book for vocabulary from various sources.
A notebook that is used to list out kanji and their meanings.
And finally a notebook to take notes from the audio course I am following.

How about you, how many notebooks or binders did you use when you started, and how many would you guess you went through over the course of learning the language?
Luocorn

RE: Materials

Postby Shirasagi » Mon 12.17.2007 8:50 am

How about you, how many notebooks or binders did you use when you started, and how many would you guess you went through over the course of learning the language?

One, and probably seven. Oh, I just started studying kanbun and have been making some notes, so I guess eight.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby katafei » Mon 12.17.2007 9:50 am

I'm working with really small, pocket size notebooks to have with me at all times so that I can go through wordlists (in the front) or grammar (in the back) at any time, like in a waiting room or in the gym.
I've got one notebook for eacht text book (so filling the third one now),
one for JLPT 3kyuu that I took this December, and I've recently bought a slightly bigger one to fill with 2kyuu stuff.
(I'm an optimistic person ^_^)
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby HarajukuxBoy » Mon 12.17.2007 10:43 am

Well right now Im using Genki I, and I also have the workbook that goes with it also, so I really don't need to take but notes. But I use one notebook currently, I holds my vocab. notes, kana, kanji, and grammar notes. I also use Anki to help me learn vocab and things like that.
HarajukuxBoy

Postby miho-sempai » Mon 12.17.2007 11:50 am

I've got... four? I think. One for my textbook, one for vocabulary (when I've the time. I mostly use my textbook), one full of spare paper sheafs of grammar notes from this site, and... oh, one more with kanji in it and their meanings and things from my kanji book. Eventually I'll have another one, but I'm mostly using my textbook and vocab at the moment. xD I make sure to do at least a little Japanese every day, so slowly but surely my notebook is filling up. ><;;;
miho-sempai

Native language: English

Postby everdream » Mon 12.17.2007 12:42 pm

That's made me think that I should start a note book for vocab when I'm on the go. I have one for Kanji at the moment (I use one page per kanji, and put in things like stroke order, compunds ect, more like a mini reference book)
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby richvh » Mon 12.17.2007 12:55 pm

I've mostly used a lot of electrons.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Mon 12.17.2007 1:05 pm

2 I use them both for the same thing, one is a rough draft, plus it's always nice to have 2 copies. :D
guitarplayer7694

Postby kayuu » Mon 12.17.2007 2:32 pm

I use whatever I happen to come across, I think I've gone through two pocket notebooks, an A5 notebook and two A4 pads and have two more A4 pads I'm starting to use now. I'm not that organised, I just pick up whatever notepad is closest and start writing.
kayuu

Native language: 英語

Postby yukamina » Mon 12.17.2007 3:42 pm

Right now I have two. One that I write down sentences down in, for grammar and vocabulary. The other one I write down new words I find while reading on the computer. I had another that I wrote down words from other sources to make flash cards out of, but I got sick of flash cards ^_^;; I also use random pieces of paper for various things.
yukamina

Postby Kerirae » Mon 12.17.2007 4:50 pm

I go through almost 100 notebook cards a day.
Kerirae

Postby everdream » Mon 12.17.2007 5:07 pm

^Blimey, what the heck takes up so much paper!?
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby Kerirae » Mon 12.17.2007 5:15 pm

everdream wrote:
^Blimey, what the heck takes up so much paper!?

Heh, I write down everything, and i study everyday, even though i only know like 7 words.

i also write my hiragana down too, so that takes up alot.
Kerirae

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 12.17.2007 11:38 pm

Luocorn wrote:

I went through about 2 binders (2"), 5 campus notes, and 1000 flashcards every year. Then multiply that by 14 years. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby nabilahforever » Tue 12.18.2007 12:27 am

Emm, i think four. One for the grammar. One book is used to practise my handwriting and ingraining the stroke order for kana and kanji. The other one for vocabulary. And the last book to list the kanji and their meanings. And now i'm filling the fourth. Maybe i'll add some notebooks after this coz my notebooks almost finish.
Stop talking as if u know me..-YUI
nabilahforever

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips