Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - The Kanji Dictionary

The Kanji Dictionary

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

The Kanji Dictionary

Postby Xuande » Wed 12.19.2007 1:18 am

I've been studying japanese for a while now and its been bugging me that I only know about 10 kanji so I was wanting to start learning them. So my question is that is this a book you can learn from or would it be better being used with another book such as Kanji & Kana 1&2? Also, I'm probably going to get this book sometime or another so is it good for a beginner to have this from the start because it sounds really good I'm just not sure if a beginner of kanji would benefit from it.
Xuande

RE: The Kanji Dictionary

Postby Wakannai » Wed 12.19.2007 8:24 am

The best option is to use a textbook that introduces and reinforces kanji throughout the lessons. Use kanji books and dictionaries as supplements.
Last edited by Wakannai on Wed 12.19.2007 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wakannai

Postby Xuande » Thu 12.20.2007 1:39 am

What would you consider a good kanji textbook? I have the Genki textbook right now but it doesn't seem to explain all the workings of kanji very well.
Xuande

Postby saraLynne » Thu 12.20.2007 3:11 am

Genki IS a good textbook. Exactly what do you mean by "all the workings of kanji"?

Genki gives you the words and the readings for them. If you need a stroke order guide, there's several internet resources available. I could provide links, but I'm too lazy right now. I might come back later and edit them in if someone else doesn't first. ^_^
saraLynne

Postby Xuande » Thu 12.20.2007 3:31 am

It doesn't explain kanji compounds or really talk about it that much. It just sort of gives them to you. The genki textbook is good even though there aren't many kanji in the textbooks its just I want to know a little more about kanji before I start learning them.
Xuande

Postby ss » Thu 12.20.2007 4:12 am

I don’t quite understand your problem. Have you actually finished studying the GENKI textbooks?

There are pages specifically for vocabulary found in GENKI I & II, they are kanji compounds. 気温、曇り、政治、都合が悪い、二三日、作文、意地悪、是非、季節、来学期、地下鉄、便、家事、期末試験、英会話、一人暮らし、無駄遣い、計画を立てる、賛成する、失敗する、徹夜する、絶対に、選挙、面接、思い出、我慢する、戻ってくる、推薦状、落ち込む、道に迷う、乗り遅れる、朝寝坊する、案内する、編む、約束を守る、等々。

All of those not enough for your study? They even have grammar to explain the usage and such.

Obviously there are many more to learn. You can always post your sentences/questions here, I think you might be able to get more than you want to know. ^_^
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Xuande » Thu 12.20.2007 4:23 am

Maybe I'm just thinking theres more to kanji than there actually is. I guess I'll stick with Genki's kanji for now.
Xuande

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips