Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji to kana

Kanji to kana

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Kanji to kana

Postby sogeki » Thu 12.20.2007 1:16 am

Is there a tool or program that can convert lists of kanji sentences and phrases into kana?

I often type up long lists of sentences from my textbook to use in my SRS. However, I have a hard time creating kana readings to use for all of them. I either do it manually with IME or use this [url="http://nihongo.j-talk.com/parser/index.php"]site[/url] (which is alright, but could be better).

I've searched Google and found Kakasi, but I really could not figure out how to use it. Can anyone help me with this, or recommend other programs that can do the job?

Thanks in advance.
sogeki

RE: Kanji to kana

Postby saraLynne » Thu 12.20.2007 3:20 am

I'm sort of confused about your request... doesn't your textbook provide readings for the kanji/words it teaches you? It'd be kind of silly if it didn't.

Firefox internet browser with the Rikaichan plugin provides a pop-up dictionary when you mouse over japanese text, which would provide the readings for a lot of words on the internet, but doesn't print it out in kana.

JLookUp is a dictionary program where you could cut'n'paste your kanji/words into it. Right-click the appropriate word and you can copy the reading(s), meaning(s) etc from the context menu, then paste it elsewhere (into your SRS?).

That's the best info I have. :P
Last edited by saraLynne on Thu 12.20.2007 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
saraLynne

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 12.20.2007 3:58 am

I think that the OP is looking for software in which he/she will write the japnese once (I assume with kanji) and then have a program convert it back to kana so they he/she doesn't have to type the whole thing out twice.

Or I could be completely wrong.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby sogeki » Thu 12.20.2007 5:37 am

Harisenbon wrote:
I think that the OP is looking for software in which he/she will write the japnese once (I assume with kanji) and then have a program convert it back to kana so they he/she doesn't have to type the whole thing out twice.

Yes, this is what I meant.
sogeki

Postby saraLynne » Thu 12.20.2007 6:01 am

Oh, OK that makes more sense. *puts on the dunce cap*

Sorry, can't help you there. :(
saraLynne

Postby TrashTreasurer » Thu 12.20.2007 7:07 am

saraLynne wrote:
Oh, OK that makes more sense. *puts on the dunce cap*

Sorry, can't help you there. :(

Don't feel bad if you still have that dunce cap on, because that plugin was the coolest thing the internet has graced me with in the last 6 months, at least! It may not have been what the op was looking for but you made my life a lot easier, so thanks ;)!
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby Orcrist » Thu 12.20.2007 7:12 am

sogeki wrote:
Harisenbon wrote:

Yes, this is what I meant.

In that case you might want to switch to Anki (SRS). It uses kakasi aswell as far as I know. But the kanji -> kana conversion is nice, although sometimes you will have to edit the kana a little depending on the context of your sentence.
There's a big Anki thread here on the forums, browse through it a little to see if you like it.
Orcrist

Native language: Dutch

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips