Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - For beginners-Some little tips for studying Japanese

For beginners-Some little tips for studying Japanese

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: For beginners-Some little tips for studying Japanese

Postby Hatori » Tue 01.01.2008 5:01 pm

everdream wrote:
Hatori wrote:
Japanese in 10 Minutes a Day (published by Bilingual Books Inc.)

I have that book, and personally I don't like it.
It is a great book if you only plan a holiday to Japan, but not very good if you plan on learning the language.
I also don't like it's use of
"Koko ni some samples sentances for the denwa ga arimasu. Write them down in the blanks shita." for example.

(also, it is all in romaji, so I don't think it's right for the OP)

I know what you mean, but as for memorizing things, I think it helps me. Also with the stickers to put all over my house and get yelled at by my mother too. I also have this other book called Japanese for Beginners, and OMG it makes me want to puke. It could be a really great book, but it's very vague. But hey, that's why I have all you guys here! :D

prep_girl_Nessa wrote:
Simon86 wrote:
Regarding Mike Cash's posts:
You do this quite often... it's annoying.

Quite funny, seeing a noob with 17 posts telling a member with over 2100 posts how to post. That's annoying >.<

Oh no... one step towards the blacklist... ;) :p
Last edited by Hatori on Tue 01.01.2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby Simon86 » Tue 01.01.2008 6:23 pm

This is my last post here... its going way offtopic.

I fail to see how having more posts makes you better than everyone else, allowing you to act like an ass to newcomers. I give people respect on how they treat others, not on how many bloody posts they have... Give me a break ^^

or... just pm me.
Simon86

Postby richvh » Tue 01.01.2008 6:47 pm

Word to the wise - leave moderation to the admins.

Mike frequently makes pithy comments that are helpful... but many try to read too much into them and take offense. He knows more Japanese, and has more experience in Japan, than most of us can ever hope to have.

Topic drift happens. Live with it.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Oracle » Tue 01.01.2008 8:25 pm

SerpentPanda wrote:
私の母の名前は田中です。田中さんは店へ行きました。

You don't put さん on people who are in your "group" (family, company etc)

Also, 田中 is a surname, not a first name as well.. so your sentence means something like "My mothers name is Smith"
Oracle

Postby orisaki » Tue 01.01.2008 8:26 pm

i need help on everything :(
orisaki

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 01.01.2008 8:37 pm

richvh wrote:
Word to the wise - leave moderation to the admins.

Mike frequently makes pithy comments that are helpful... but many try to read too much into them and take offense.

Indeed. The current kerfuffle stems from people taking vicarious offense at a compliment.

And since I also don't think post count counts for anything, I treat newcomers the same way I do anyone else. I find it odd that the newcomers with low post counts who complain about how post counts don't count are in effect asking for special treatment because of their post counts. It's a two-way street, whiners. If you want to be treated with kid gloves because you just got here, then you need to behave a certain way toward those of us who have been around a while.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby SerpentPanda » Wed 01.02.2008 2:02 am

everdream wrote:
Serpant Panda, I think you are better of with Genki 2.
Even though you made a couple of mistakes, what you can do is much further than Genki 1.
I never started with Genki 1, so, the advice I can give you is that if you can, you should buy a grammar dictionary, in case you come across something in Genki 2 covered in genki 1.

Thank you everdream. I knew I didn't know EVERYTHING in Genki I, but I didn't feel like spending $70 on something I could only use for 2 weeks.
Insert something here.
SerpentPanda

Postby atreya » Wed 01.02.2008 4:16 am

everdream wrote:
I have genki II (At least in PDF), it is really good, IMO.
Though, it is structered more for classes, it is good on it's own too.

Off topic - I didn't know that you can buy the book as a pdf. Is it the same price?
atreya

Postby sushi4ever » Wed 01.02.2008 5:01 am

atreya wrote:
everdream wrote:

Off topic - I didn't know that you can buy the book as a pdf. Is it the same price?

i highly doubt that the genki books can be purchased in .pdf format, otherwise the net would be swamped with illegal copies.

it rather looks like someone scanned it in and made a .pdf out of it.

i'm going to do the same thing with my copies so i can carry my stuff around on my laptop without bothering to take the real (heavy) books with me ^^
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Postby atreya » Wed 01.02.2008 5:13 am

i highly doubt that the genki books can be purchased in .pdf format, otherwise the net would be swamped with illegal copies.

it rather looks like someone scanned it in and made a .pdf out of it.

i'm going to do the same thing with my copies so i can carry my stuff around on my laptop without bothering to take the real (heavy) books with me ^^

Well, that sounds more cumbersome than carrying the book around... :/ (Scanning the Book I mean)
Last edited by atreya on Wed 01.02.2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
atreya

Postby sushi4ever » Wed 01.02.2008 5:32 am

it's worth the hassle. this way my books will stay new-ish and i will be able to resell them in the future.
plus: i'm helping a friend out with my scans as well since she can't afford buying it herself.
i'm a little weird at times, lol
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Postby atreya » Wed 01.02.2008 5:45 am

sushi4ever wrote:
it's worth the hassle. this way my books will stay new-ish and i will be able to resell them in the future.
plus: i'm helping a friend out with my scans as well since she can't afford buying it herself.
i'm a little weird at times, lol

ああ、そうですか。頑張ってください。And that concludes my string of offtopic posts... ^_^
atreya

Postby everdream » Wed 01.02.2008 5:55 am

atreya wrote:
everdream wrote:

You can't (If someone, like on ebay, tries to sell to you a Genki PDF, don't buy it)
A friend did it for me, kinda like book sharing.
I still purchased the answer key and work book though.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby zxcjason » Wed 01.02.2008 6:32 am

Good work SerpentPanda! Great to hear a 12-year old being so motivated to learn and willing to ask for and listen to advice from others.

Back to your question, I don't think you are quite ready for Genki 2 yet, and I would totally recommend you to get Genki 1. I started off with Genki 1 probably at a similar level you are now. I knew all the hiragana and katakana. I knew some basic grammar (learning from various websites on the web) and had a limited vocabulary. I also know Chinese, so I pretty much can recognize most of the kanji, but since you know about 100 kanji, that should cover most of what Genk 1 covers anyways.

I studied about 4-5 hours a day and it took me about 10 days to go thru Genki I. I breezed thru the first 3-4 chapters, but the exercise and the later chapters I found very useful. Although I knew some basic grammar already, the exercises really consolidated and reinforced what I learned. And I think at your stage, the most important thing is to build a solid foundation, and that's what Genki I will provide you if you follow the textbook and do all the exercises. I found that after Genki I, most of the common phrases, constructs and grammar became automatic that the studying afterwards became much easier. So even if Genki I might not last you long, you are probably better off in the long run if you know the Genki I stuff very well, than to stuggle thru Genki II and having a somewhat mediocre understanding of the material from Genki I and Genki II.

If you have the cash, I would recommend getting everything (Textbook, workbook, answer and student CD set). The first thing I'll skimp on is the CD, then the workbook. I think the answer is really useful because it makes sure I get the answer right, plus the answer book also has answer for Genki II, so you don't have to buy it again.

If you end up getting Genki, try doing all the exercises, even the ones you might find really easy at the beginning. Another thing I would recommend personally is to put setences you learn in Genki into an SRS (do a search on AJATT in the forum or google). I started using SRS half way thru Genki I, and I can personally attest that the combination of the two works really well in learning vocab, grammar and common sentence structure (I wouldn't recommend doing AJATT without any textbook though)

Hope this helps and good luck learning!
Last edited by zxcjason on Wed 01.02.2008 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
zxcjason

Postby zxcjason » Wed 01.02.2008 6:43 am

Just to add, I did Genki II after Genki I and it took me about 2 weeks. If I started off with Genki II right away it probably would have took me a much longer time to finish Genki II than the time I took for both Genki I and II in order. I might have spent less money, but it would have taken me more time and ended up learning less.
zxcjason

PreviousNext

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips