Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - For beginners-Some little tips for studying Japanese

For beginners-Some little tips for studying Japanese

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: For beginners-Some little tips for studying Japanese

Postby everdream » Wed 01.02.2008 6:46 am

Also (It may or may not help you)
I make pages from Genki, and put them in a folder, it's a quick run through of the grammar point, so if I get stuck sometime after doing that point, I can quickly look through my folder, rather than go through the text book.
I put the main points in clouds, make it look colourfull and put several example sentances on the page. I try to use all Japanese, or as little english as I can. It really helps to refresh one's memory just to read over it.
Last edited by everdream on Wed 01.02.2008 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby SerpentPanda » Wed 01.02.2008 10:11 am

Well the thing I'm worrying about is, I'm not the one buying all of this stuff.

Genki I might help more, but I think my parents would get angry if 10 days later I say I want another one. o_o
Insert something here.
SerpentPanda

Postby zxcjason » Wed 01.02.2008 5:32 pm

There is a vocab list in every chapter in Genki. So what you could try is after finishing each sentence, look for several setences of each words from the book or exercise and put it into your SRS and review it everyday. You will make good use of the textbook for a much longer time, and you'll be solid in your vocab moving on the Genki 2

Plus, you still need to learn katakana, that should take you at least another day.
zxcjason

Postby yukamina » Wed 01.02.2008 9:08 pm

SerpentPanda wrote:
Well the thing I'm worrying about is, I'm not the one buying all of this stuff.

Genki I might help more, but I think my parents would get angry if 10 days later I say I want another one. o_o

Materials for beginner level Japanese are a lot easier to find, even online. So if there's something you're missing when going through Genki II, it shouldn't be to hard to find out about it somewhere else(online, library, etc).
yukamina

Postby LeMichaels » Thu 01.03.2008 3:36 pm

SerpentPanda: Thanks for the tips. I just started to learn Japanese about a week ago and from what I’ve read on this site, as well as others, your helpful “how to” is a great way to start. I also enjoyed your wisdom on proper study techniques. Too many people do not know how to study, let alone study to learn a new language. I was fortunate to stumble across this site to point me in the right direction.

Other thoughts: Mike Cash you are my hero! I couldn’t agree more with your comment, and as a product of the United States public education system, I can safely say that I am extremely lucky to have the grammatical skills that I do. I am not perfect by any means, but I do appreciate that a 12 year old already has such command of a language that most will never master.
LeMichaels

Postby Tegan » Fri 01.04.2008 5:38 am

Wow, so I mostly lurk here, but I thought I'd add in my two cents as a faithful user of Genki I & II.

It was really surprising to me that zxcjason went through the first Genki book in 10 days and the second in two weeks, and I wanted to say congratulations! Maybe some of it has to do with her/him having an advantage (kanji recognition) through knowing Chinese.

I understand people learn at different rates, but it definitely took me at least 4 months to finish Genki I and move on, if not longer. I generally think of myself as a fast learner, and I started at the same place: I knew the juu kyuu 4 kanji on this site, some basic vocab, and some basic grammar. What might have slowed me down is that I kept a notebook where I worked through all the exercises on paper to try to re-enforce long-term understanding.

I, personally, would definitely recommend buying Genki I. The one thing I'll say to decrease the cost is to only buy the textbook. With both Genki I and II there are tons of exercises included (negating the workbook), and in general you can be pretty confident if you are getting the right answer because there are tons of example sentences and grammar explanations. If all else fails, you could post on here to make sure a sentence is correct. In general, though, I found if you were familiar with the topic (since they explain it, then give exercises), you could be confident you are getting the right answers.

The first few chapters (1-3 or 4 of 12) might seem below your level, but it would definitely be a great buy. Also, if you go to half.com, you may get it for pretty cheap (I got mine, basically new for $30.00 off there.) And since half.com is from ebay, it's relatively safe, especially if you use paypal.

If you are interested in the topics covered in Genki I, I can list them for you (as I still have my book, sitting right here next to me.) In general, I just think it's a great book to have, but of course the decision is always up to you! I'm impressed you're learning so much at a young age and I hope you find what works for you. :D
Last edited by Tegan on Fri 01.04.2008 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tegan

Postby yukamina » Fri 01.04.2008 1:22 pm

Tegan wrote:

It was really surprising to me that yukamina went through the first Genki book in 10 days and the second in two weeks, and I wanted to say congratulations! Maybe some of it has to do with her/him having an advantage (kanji recognition) through knowing Chinese.

That's not me ^_^;; I've never even used Genki.
yukamina

Postby Tegan » Fri 01.04.2008 4:30 pm

Ahhh, really sorry yukamina. I can claim that I hadn't slept in a long time when I wrote that (which is true), but really I should have checked better. I edited appropriately! :)
Tegan

Postby zxcjason » Sat 01.05.2008 5:05 am

Knowing Chinese does help quite a bit. It's probably easier for me to remember the meaning of any words that use kanji and also the on yomi. Plus, I don't have to learn almost any kanji at all :D

Having said that, I put in at least 4 hrs everyday, and there were days that i studied the whole day, so yeah I should add that my pace on Genki 2 is probably not typical.
zxcjason

Postby dimitri_can » Sat 01.05.2008 7:48 pm

Step 1: Master Hiragana chart, that is the basis

Step 2: Once you are done with Hiragana chart, start learning numbers

Step 3: Simple sentence patterns.
Last edited by dimitri_can on Sat 01.05.2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dimitri_can

Re: For beginners-Some little tips for studying Japanese

Postby Oishii_Sushi » Sat 03.29.2008 6:46 pm

Wow all these tips sound helpful.I'm going to follow them. Thank you
Ja mata ne,

Sushi
Oishii_Sushi

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips