Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji DS game...

Kanji DS game...

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Kanji DS game...

Postby gyuunyuu luvr » Wed 12.26.2007 4:42 am

I been wanting to purchase a kanji training game for the Nintendo DS but there a few and I don't know which of them would be easier for a foreigner. Here is a site with the list of them. Play-Asia.com Since I can't make a link. Search for kanji in the search bar for the list. (It has to be for the DS) Sorry I couldn't be more of help. I tried to translate the sites but then again I need to train my kanji skills since I don't know that much. You can click the game and from there go to the official website. Thnax in advance. :)
MMMMmm. milk
gyuunyuu luvr

RE: Kanji DS game...

Postby Ichigo19 » Wed 12.26.2007 2:37 pm

I'm guessing you're a beginner from your post. I have 4 kanji games though I only use one. The others are too advanced/difficult for me. Just so you know I've finished Genki I&II plus the dictionary of basic japanese grammar. The one game I use you kinda need a kanji book to use with as it doesn't exactly give you the readings of the kanji.

Kakitori-kun

Now this game is meant for japanese school kids. It teaches only the first 1,006 kanji. It has a part for practicing stroke order/writing practice. I use this mostly. I just say the readings while I'm writing, works for the most part. Then theres the second section. There's two parts. The first one gives you a sentence and wants you to write the kanji for a selected few words in the sentence. so for like Inu you would write the kanji for dog.

The other part you pick a kanji. You have to go in order of the kanji though. But you pick it, then it will give you a kanji word with that kanji in there and you have to write the reading. It goes through several words. Then there's the last/3rd section. Can't comment on this really but it has two parts. The first one it seems just like the second section's one where it gives you a sentence and you write the kanji of a certain few words. The other part of this section it won't let me do right now possibly from not completing enough of the game...I just use the first section pretty much right now.

There's a newer version of this game. It has more features. Supposed to cover all jouyou kanji so you get all 1,945. It supposed to have the readings of the kanji too. I do not have it but I plan to eventually get it after I finish the version I have.

New version of Kakitori-kun

I would recommend gettin this as its the easiest one for beginners of japanese. Since these games aren't made for people learning japanese and the other 3 I have are quite difficult in comparison to this one, this is probably your best bet.
私がいちごです。女じゃありません。いちごの名前がアニメの名前じゃありません。
Ichigo19

Postby gyuunyuu luvr » Wed 12.26.2007 7:30 pm

THANX A BUNCH. Yeah I am a step behind you as I'm still learning genki so I am a beginner. This is very helpful. :D
MMMMmm. milk
gyuunyuu luvr

Postby Jumpman » Wed 12.26.2007 10:14 pm

I'd also suggest
kankan2 and kanken
once you advance in your learning ,both contain dictionary and a quiz for the kanji.
Last edited by Jumpman on Wed 12.26.2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need some money for Japanese learning material?
Check my blog for advice on how to get money with little to no effort.
Jumpman

Postby gyuunyuu luvr » Wed 12.26.2007 10:32 pm

k B)
MMMMmm. milk
gyuunyuu luvr

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips