Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Listening and learning

Listening and learning

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Listening and learning

Postby Iatheia » Mon 12.31.2007 1:23 pm

Many have spoke against manga and anime in view of learning Japanese. Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion about J-pop in this matter?
I have to agree, it is neither most formal, nor most polite, but I cannot say that it is rude, at least not the albums that I'm listening to. I cannot judge about others. One can quite easily find lyrics for the song and try to transliterate and translate it on his or her own. And finaly, there are sometimes not the most common readings, so it is also possible to practice them...
Iatheia

RE: Listening and learning

Postby Gundaetiapo » Mon 12.31.2007 1:37 pm

There's nothing wrong with learning from manga and anime. See [wiki]Learning Japanese from media[/wiki]. Personally I don't think much of learning from songs because

1: It's poetry.
2: By definition songs don't use the same rhythm and pitch as speech.

However, it could have some benefits I suppose. Nobody has written a WagaWiki article on learning from song lyrics.
Gundaetiapo

Native language: English

Postby saraLynne » Mon 12.31.2007 3:03 pm

You're not going to learn grammar through music.

It's not rude, but it doesn't follow proper grammar like most poetry, it is often distorted, using irregular contractions and word patterns in order to fit the music.

You can use it to get a feel for different sounds, of course. I just don't see it as being viable for actual -study-. I feel qualified to say this because I tried, and it went very, very badly. I haven't yet met anyone (online or off) that "learned" any Japanese from songs/lyrics.
saraLynne

Postby Iatheia » Mon 12.31.2007 3:35 pm

I can't say about grammar, but it helped me a lot with vocabulary. Especially when I tried to translate it myself.
Iatheia

Postby sushi4ever » Mon 12.31.2007 3:58 pm

i wanted to say the exact same thing as saraLynne but she was quicker, lol

so, grammar-wise, it wouldn't be helpful at all but i guess you could mine the songs for vocabulary ^^
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 12.31.2007 6:18 pm

Although the amount of vocabulary you would learn from J-pop is very small, and a lot of it would be inappropriate to use.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby yukamina » Mon 12.31.2007 9:48 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Although the amount of vocabulary you would learn from J-pop is very small, and a lot of it would be inappropriate to use.

But it would help you understand other songs you haven't studied, and assumable someone studying this way would like that. Also there's the personal interest. You don't have to use every word or phrase you learn(impractical things from songs or anime), passive vocabulary is very important.
yukamina

Postby skrhgh3b » Mon 12.31.2007 10:33 pm

I believe you should listen to as much Japanese as possible in your daily life, including when you're rocking out in your car. No, singing is not speaking, but if nothing else, it'll reinforce what you already know, and there's certainly no harm in it.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 12.31.2007 10:54 pm

Actually there can be very real harm in it -- if people think that listening to J-Pop passively is studying Japanese, that will harm their progress.

You have to walk before you can run. You just can't jump into native level material and expect to make any sense of it.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Re: Listening and learning

Postby Oishii_Sushi » Sun 03.30.2008 7:52 pm

I learn new phrases and words from a program designed for learning Japanese with music.It has family circus drawings on it.There's 11 songs on it, it's helpful in my opinion.
Ja mata ne,

Sushi
Oishii_Sushi

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 04.02.2008 9:59 am

I would think watching news broadcasts would increase your vocabulary base greatly for common terms. I also think that watching game shows increases your vocabulary in not general areas.

I used to tape news broadcasts and game shows from NHK and then replay them back over and over. I would look up words I didn't recognize, then grammar principles if there were any I didn't recognize and then I would listen for overall comprehension. We also used to do that in my military language refresher courses.
two_heads_talking

Postby Shirasagi » Wed 04.02.2008 10:51 am

Yudan's good points about level aside, popular music can be an excellent source of idiom. It only works as a supplement to one's study, though.

Of course, I believe in the comprehensive absorption of all media as part of one's Japanese studies...
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips