Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How to do this...hmmm...

How to do this...hmmm...

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: How to do this...hmmm...

Postby TrashTreasurer » Wed 01.16.2008 6:16 pm

As you already know, in the book a story is introduced and then the vocab and grammar used to construct that story follows it. Once I reach the vocab list, I place all of them on flash cards. (You can use a program like http://ichi2.net/anki/, but I need something tangible to study cause I'm retarded I guess.)

At that point, I just drill the vocab in with the hiragana/katakana on one side and the english meaning on the other side (I'm not worrying about the kanji at the moment unless it's simple like "person", "dog", etc.) I like to do this first so that once I start learning how the sentences are constructed, I know the meaning of the words I'm constructing, and it makes the sentences feel more natural to me.

Also, reading the flash cards for study purposes has the side effect of improving your kana reading speed, and you get writing practice when you make the cards. If you have a notebook you can practice writing sentences and conjugating verbs/adjectives and such in the notebook, but if you don't have an answer key you'll never be totally sure if what you're doing there is correct. With that, I must say that this probably isn't the definitive method, and I'm sure if I had the workbook it would be setup in the most ideal way, but for now this has been working for me.
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby kyubisharingan » Wed 01.16.2008 7:35 pm

crap, i accidently deleted my original post O_O
kyubisharingan

Postby chikara » Wed 01.16.2008 8:03 pm

kyubisharingan wrote:
i ... deleted my original post

Tony! Ban hammer to aisle 5 :o

:D
Last edited by chikara on Wed 01.16.2008 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby TrashTreasurer » Wed 01.16.2008 9:25 pm

Ah crap, now I'M the one who looks like he started an insane thread for no reason! All my hard work is now in vain! No really, I don't care. ;) It is an annoying thing to do for those reading the thread for the first time, though.
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby yukamina » Wed 01.16.2008 9:36 pm

Yes, I was reading the 1st post thinking, "What is this person rambling on about, and what's the question? @_@"
yukamina

Postby kyubisharingan » Wed 01.16.2008 11:10 pm

haha im sorry everyone. my original question was....

Im learning japanese by myself using the Genki books and i was wondering, for those who have used/are using the books, mind sharing studying tips? such as, if you had a notebook that you took notes in or something etc etc
kyubisharingan

Postby AJBryant » Wed 01.16.2008 11:21 pm

Grrr. :|

:p

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby tanuki » Thu 01.17.2008 8:35 am

"How to do this...hmmm..."? Please put a more informative thread title next time. Something like "advice using Genki" or something like that.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips