Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Improving your conversation skills

Improving your conversation skills

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Improving your conversation skills

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 01.20.2008 3:56 pm

をも sometimes occurs, but you are right that も replacing を is far more common. There's no dictionary entry for をも that I see so I'm not sure when you could use that. (I seem to recall seeing がも also.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Oracle » Sun 01.20.2008 4:28 pm

I've seen をも in history text books and other academic works, but I'm not sure when it would be preferred over just も
Oracle

をも

Postby coco » Sun 01.20.2008 11:46 pm

Gundaetiapo wrote:
ホテイさんのほうが日本語_がずっと上手けれども、「をも」が伝わらないと僕は理解しています。少なくとも、「をも」を「も」と取りかえることが普通の文法形式だと思います。

をも

「をも利用し」「をも用い」でgoogle検索をかけてみるといいでしょう。
「すべき」自身もやや文語調ですので、この文脈での「をも」は自然かつ正しい使い方です。 :)
Last edited by coco on Sun 01.20.2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Gundaetiapo » Mon 01.21.2008 12:31 am

Thanks for the corrections. I was thinking in part of Nakama 2's grammar point about question words with も:

"The particles が and を are not used with the question word + も or でも. However, other particles such as に and と, are inserted between the question word and 〜も or でも."

だれをも is ungrammatical but だれにも is, according to this. I suppose this only applies to question words then? Is をも acceptable in most cases?
Gundaetiapo

「をも」の移動先

Postby coco » Mon 01.21.2008 12:56 am

Gundaetiapoさん、
文法フォーラムに新しく「をも」スレッドを立てた方がいいかもしれませんね。 :)
上のご質問を移動していただけますか? 
--
edit:Thank you,Guandeatiapo-san, for making a new thread regarding the をも usage.
Last edited by coco on Mon 01.21.2008 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby skrhgh3b » Mon 01.21.2008 5:14 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
The only way to improve your conversation ability is to talk with native speakers.

Although do note that if you possibly can, you should seek out conversation opportunities where the other person will correct your mistakes (make sure you set this up beforehand, don't just assume it will happen). Practicing conversation will increase your fluency, but if you have no correction whatosever, it tends to develop fluency in incorrect Japanese. Now, of course any fluency is better than nothing, but most people do not have the ability to detect and correct every single mistake they make.

that's a good point. i've noticed that, since making japanese friends, i've become a little too accustomed to their unique brand of english, and i rarely correct them. sometimes it feels like, if you corrected everything they said, you'd just end up correcting them every other sentence. i'm sure it's true the other way around too.

"did you raise your beard?" - a classmate
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips