Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Reccomended Books & Order

Reccomended Books & Order

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Reccomended Books & Order

Postby Sirocco » Fri 01.18.2008 8:01 pm

I am just starting! I am too fascinated with everything Japanese to not learn. I learned most hiragana and katakana a few months back but I forgo them all and am now ready to re-learn that and more. What books do you guys recommend? There are so many on amazon and other sites -- it is really hard to weed out what the good ones are! Also, what order do you recommends learning things in? Any help appreciated!

-Ali
Sirocco

RE: Reccomended Books & Order

Postby AJBryant » Fri 01.18.2008 8:46 pm

There are indeed many good books out there. The first thing, however, is a GOOD TEXTBOOK.

Grab either Minna no Nihongo or Genki -- they are the best, I think. And follow them.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby HarajukuxBoy » Sun 01.20.2008 12:49 pm

Yes, I highly recommend Genki or Minna no Nihongo, those, from that I know of, are the two most well known and popular Japanese self-study or even class study textbooks. I am currently using Genki I, and I am very happy I chose genki. It's excellent with teaching grammar and it almost forces you to learn kana. Around ch.3, there is no more romaji, kana replaces it. Which is a great thing for people who lack the motivation to learn kana, you'll need it to proceed futher in the textbook ^__^. It teaches kanji pretty well also. So yes, I would highly recommend either Minna no Nihongo or Genki.
HarajukuxBoy

Postby Krysta » Sun 01.20.2008 6:27 pm

Never tried Genki, but Minna no Nihongo is very good indeed. It uses kana from the start and even shows the kanji if there is one.
Krysta

Re: Reccomended Books & Order

Postby p-chan » Sun 03.23.2008 7:49 pm

does know an cheap alternative to the genki or minna no nihongo? same quality and also it has to be fun.. :)
p-chan

Postby clayb » Sun 03.23.2008 8:34 pm

Japanese for Busy People just came out with a third edition and it comes with a CD. It is dirt cheap compared to Genki--although not nearly as popular among students (from what I've seen).
clayb
Site Admin

Postby p-chan » Sun 03.23.2008 11:22 pm

yhea.. cheaper than the genki but the quality of the lessons? I'm planning to take this year's exam..
p-chan

Postby jenl » Mon 03.24.2008 8:54 am

We use Japanese for Busy People in my evening class (well, follow vaguely the order of the chapters at least), and I think it's okay for its purpose. I don't look at it much because the class for me is revision and conversation practice.

A couple of things:
No kanji is introduced until the second book.
There is a focus more on conversation than on reading/writing in my opinion.
I have no idea how it compares to the requirements for JLPT (I assume that's the exam you're after?).
I'm guessing it doesn't cover as much as Genki - I do know one person in the class who had Genki already but bought JfBP for the class and found Genki to be better.
jenl

Postby p-chan » Tue 03.25.2008 8:18 pm

jenl wrote:We use Japanese for Busy People in my evening class (well, follow vaguely the order of the chapters at least), and I think it's okay for its purpose. I don't look at it much because the class for me is revision and conversation practice.

A couple of things:
No kanji is introduced until the second book.
There is a focus more on conversation than on reading/writing in my opinion.
I have no idea how it compares to the requirements for JLPT (I assume that's the exam you're after?).
I'm guessing it doesn't cover as much as Genki - I do know one person in the class who had Genki already but bought JfBP for the class and found Genki to be better.

thanks alot.. that really helped alot...

Yhea it's the JLPT exam I'm after.. (don't know why I want to take it.. hahaha.. maybe i want to achieve something in this lifetime.. i don't know)
p-chan

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips