Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Should I move to Japan?

Should I move to Japan?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Should I move to Japan?

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 01.22.2008 10:24 am

I think what happens each new year is that the banned people reaquire a new handle and retry their luck with every forum they were banished from. I remember the west VA thread, but I can never quite find the stupid things to post.

nice catch coco-san.

as for the OP. i really think that anything we on the forums say is either going over your head or it's just not gonna sink in. we can't help.. really we can't.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby clay » Tue 01.22.2008 10:31 am

I sometimes think Coco could give an Elephant lessons in memnonics.
さすがCocoさん
nice catch coco-san.

Amazing. I was thinking this sounded familiar...
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby jenl » Tue 01.22.2008 11:42 am

I do wonder why it is all these people seem convinced that if they don't like the bit of the US they're living in then the entirety of the US must be the same. I've lived in three states (only for a couple months at a time, but enough to get a bit of a feel for it), and visited probably around ten or twelve.

There are places I'd never want to visit again, places I'd visit on holiday but wouldn't live in, places I wouldn't mind staying in for a bit, and places I wouldn't mind living in permanently if I had to choose, even though I have no intention of moving to the US.

Perhaps the OP would benefit from taking a holiday within her own country. I suggest California. It's sunny, and you can get good sushi. (I had some scallops when I was last there that make my mouth water now just thinking about them :p ).
jenl

Postby chiisu321 » Sat 01.26.2008 8:00 pm

....or just wait to die.
What kind of question is that?
If you want to visit, it's pretty easy. if you want to LIVE there, you would have to have some sort of work lined up as others have said.

I agree with what others have said as well. not all parts of america are the same. Japan isnt some golden answer either. You've never lived there, so how would you know that you wouldnt hate it there too?
For you to have this sort of attitude, makes me question your sincerity. If you really had an interest in going, you wouldnt ask for anyone's opinion
chiisu321

Postby Wakannai » Sat 01.26.2008 8:14 pm

I do wonder why it is all these people seem convinced that if they don't like the bit of the US they're living in then the entirety of the US must be the same. I've lived in three states (only for a couple months at a time, but enough to get a bit of a feel for it), and visited probably around ten or twelve.

YEA, I've been around a bit too, there is a big difference in how people behave both regionally and by locality. For example, rural people are MUCH friendlier and even safer than city. Even in one city, there can be a vast difference between how people act one one end compared to another.

Sometimes people ask me where the nearest store is, when I tell them, it's a block away, I'm always taken aback by the number that look around nervously and ask, "Is it safe to walk that far?"
One thing I know for a fact, I don't want to live where those people live. Where I grew up, if we forgot the lock the door, we would be reminded, but not berated. We were more concerned with an animal wandering in the house than a person.

A sign you are in a good neighborhood, the houses and yards are well tended. There is a huge difference between run-down and unkempt. It doesn't cost a lot of money to pick up the trash out of one's yard and trim hedges, even if one can't afford to replace a broken garage door. But you can be sure of one thing. If the houses in the neighborhood are trashed, then it's because the people there don't respect themselves. And people that do not respect themselves are incapable of respecting others. Thus, crime is always far worse near a slum, but if the area is only poor, crime can still be low.
Last edited by Wakannai on Sat 01.26.2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wakannai

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips