Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Learning Japanese using Mindmap

Learning Japanese using Mindmap

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Learning Japanese using Mindmap

Postby brendalaicm83 » Wed 01.23.2008 10:42 pm

hi, i just started to make my Japanese study notes using Mindmap. i personally find it more organized and easier to remember. is there anyone using this skill to learn japanese?

visit my blog to have a look of my japanese mindmaps http://learnjapanesediary.blogspot.com/ ;)
brendalaicm83

RE: Learning Japanese using Mindmap

Postby holl131 » Thu 01.24.2008 12:08 am

:@ :| :| B) :Dkrystal :o :o :p :p ;) :)
krystal[center][/center]
holl131

Postby chikara » Thu 01.24.2008 12:16 am

holl131 wrote:
:@ :| :| B) :Dkrystal :o :o :p :p ;) :)

Tony, ban hammer to aisle 5 please :o
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby AJBryant » Thu 01.24.2008 2:36 am

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 01.24.2008 3:39 am

Tony, that is the best picture I have ever seen in my life.

Now, back on Topic...
I looked at the mindmap thing, but I'm not exactly sure how it works for studying langauge. How is it working for you?
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby furrykef » Thu 01.24.2008 6:43 am

U Can't Touch This! *insert bassline and funky dancing*

OK, bad joke. :P

[The above was GOING to be posted after AJBryant's post, before Harisenbon's, but a sudden internet outage put a stop to that.]

As for the mind map thing, to be honest, I'm not sure if it's a good idea... for one thing, I notice you don't provide readings for the kanji, which could be problematic right there. But I'm also not sure about the whole method. I think it's better to learn and review using a spaced-repetition flash card program such as Mnemosyne or Anki. I use SuperMemo and it works wonders for me, though I don't recommend it to others because it costs money and it is, frankly, really shoddily-written software.

Unfortunately, the best way to study Japanese with a flash card program isn't really obvious... a straightforward way would be to have a word in kanji on the question side, and the reading and meaning on the other side, but then you don't get practice going from reading to kanji/meaning. You could create two cards for each vocabulary item, maybe... one with kanji on question side, meaning and reading on answer side, like before, and the second card would have the reading on the question side, and the kanji and meaning on the answer side. (If you do this, always write out the kanji when you answer; don't just visualize it. "Write" on your palm with your other hand's index finger if you like. Believe me, it helps memorization a lot.) Of course, you have to be very careful if you do it this way, because you can run into homonyms and you don't want to end up with having two cards that have the same question but different answers!

A more novel approach would be to use the sentence method. Instead of memorizing individual words, you put sentences on your cards. On the question side, you write a sentence in Japanese with all the kanji and everything, and on the answer side, you give the reading and meaning of the entire sentence, as well as the literal meaning of any individual words that you may have trouble understanding. There's more information on this method at www.alljapaneseallthetime.com.

Myself, I'm thinking of trying a variation on this method, using two cards per sentence in a similar manner to the two cards per vocabulary item method. One card would use the method described above, and the other would have an all-kana sentence (with spaces after particles) as the question, and the same sentence using kanji (and the meaning of the words and the sentence) as the answer.

- Kef
Last edited by furrykef on Thu 01.24.2008 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby saraLynne » Thu 01.24.2008 6:49 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Mindmap idea. I've never been able to effectively use one myself, but lots of people have, so there must be some significant merit to it.

Do what works for you! :)
saraLynne

Postby brendalaicm83 » Thu 01.24.2008 10:52 am

Harisenbon wrote:
Tony, that is the best picture I have ever seen in my life.

Now, back on Topic...
I looked at the mindmap thing, but I'm not exactly sure how it works for studying langauge. How is it working for you?

i use it for revision to remember the vocabs as it is easier to access to from internet. and it gives me a very clear view of which categories the vocabs fall into. i'm still new to mindmap, i think this is not a good example. to use mindmap, you need to have a basic knowledge of how mindmap works. check this out http://www.studentblogproject.com/study-tips/5-tips-to-create-a-mind-map/
brendalaicm83

Postby brendalaicm83 » Thu 01.24.2008 11:04 am

as Kef pointed out, there're no readings for kanji provided, coz i can read most of the kanji in this chapter, i only put in readings for kanji which is new to me. thanks Kef, i'll put in the kanji readings in the future mindmaps. i think the mindmap i put on my blog is more usable to someone who is using the same textbook as i do. :)
brendalaicm83

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 01.24.2008 11:46 am

how does mindmapping work? I must admit that I am not famililiar with it at all.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby brendalaicm83 » Thu 01.24.2008 9:06 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map This will tell you about how mindmap works. If you are interested in further reading, I recommend Tony Buzan's books on mindmap. So far, I haven't figure out how to improve my memory using it, but it definitely helps me sort out my mind. As I'm not a linear thinker, my thoughts hop from one to another, so mindmap is the way to capture them in a more organized way.
brendalaicm83

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips