Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Need some help

Need some help

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Need some help

Postby jameslennie » Tue 01.29.2008 8:51 pm

Hi there, I'm new to this site and I have also just started to learn Japanese through this site. One thing that has been annoying me is that i do not know how to take for example : the word "Blue" and turn it into Japanese. I mean you take the word "You" which in Japanese is "Anata"? I believe thats right, but how do i know it is Anata? is there a list from the 3 Alphabets that show me this? Please if anyone out there can answer this it will be very much appreciated.

Thanks James
jameslennie

RE: Need some help

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Tue 01.29.2008 8:56 pm

I don't understand, are you looking for a dictionary?

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html <-- one of the best dictionaries out there
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby AJBryant » Tue 01.29.2008 9:02 pm

And some serious advice-- step *away* from the keyboard and grab a textbook. You can't learn a language by hunting through a website. You need a structured plan that builds lesson on lesson and reinforces thing systematically.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby jameslennie » Tue 01.29.2008 9:55 pm

Yes , i do know i can't learn the whole language through this site, and the post under my first, Yes and no, Basically as i said, If i take the English word "blue" how do i turn this word into Japanese? or simply how do i break down the word, Like Konnichiwa, is there a method that can be used to take the word Konnichiwa and make it into hello (english)

Apologies if this is confusing i know its not the easiest to under and believe me its not the easiest to type either.

Many thanks James
jameslennie

Postby NZJutsu » Tue 01.29.2008 10:17 pm

Umm... Learning it?
NZJutsu

Postby Near » Tue 01.29.2008 10:39 pm

Japanese doesn't directly translate to English. I think the reason is that Kanji usually represent a meaning or idea, as opposed to one specific word. You can't really "turn" a Japanese word or saying into an English word or saying, you just sorta have to learn it. I think it's the same with all languages...unless I'm just not understanding your question.
- Kenton
Near

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 01.29.2008 10:49 pm

I think the reason is that Kanji usually represent a meaning or idea, as opposed to one specific word.

I hesitate to respond to this, but kanji have nothing to do with how to translate Japanese into English or vice-versa -- spoken Japanese is just as hard to translate into English as written. (And kanji do not represent meanings or ideas when they occur in actual text; they represent specific words. It's true you can view kanji in an abstract sense as having one or more "meanings", and this can help you organize the readings and the words in your study process. But if you're talking about dealing with the kanji in actual written texts, each kanji or sequence of kanji corresponds to a specific word.)

OP's question:
If i take the English word "blue" how do i turn this word into Japanese? or simply how do i break down the word, Like Konnichiwa, is there a method that can be used to take the word Konnichiwa and make it into hello (english)

This question doesn't make any sense. You "turn" the word blue into Japanese by finding out what word is used in Japanese to express the color. In the case of "blue", the usual word is "aoi". The only way you know this is by looking it up in a dictionary or learning it from a textbook, or something like that.
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Tue 01.29.2008 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby saraLynne » Wed 01.30.2008 12:37 am

You mean you can't just install the appropriate font and type Japanese like you can with Chinese?

*ducks the incoming flames* ^_^
saraLynne

Postby HarajukuxBoy » Wed 01.30.2008 7:10 pm

Um..I would suggest learning the word, because I don't think that you can just magically transform the English word "blue" into Japanese. You actually have to learn the word itself. I also agree with Tony, you should get a textbook, because from what I see, you are a bit lost and confused.
HarajukuxBoy

Postby bonobio » Sat 02.02.2008 8:33 am

I don't think that you can take Latin based words and convert them into Japanese. I could be wrong, as I am new to this. If you use your example for blue, I found this history:
The word blue has had an even more eventful history. It started out, apparently, as the Indo-European root *bhlewos, meaning “yellow”, and evolved into the Greek phalos, “white”, and hence in Old English to “pale” and “the colour of bruised skin”; we actually re-borrowed the word blue in its modern sense from French.

Looking at that, I don't know how you can convert blue into any language easily ;)
bonobio

Postby jameslennie » Sat 02.16.2008 6:20 pm

Thank you very much for all your replies, sorry for any problem that this may have caused, it is very much appreciated.

James
jameslennie

Re: Need some help

Postby treyebrow » Sat 03.22.2008 7:02 pm

from what i have seen, yes... a lot of phrases such as "konnichi wa" can be broken down. example: Kon = Kono: This. Nichi: Day/Sun. Wa: a particle that i have seen best translated as "speaking of (the noun/subject i am following)". so Konnichi wa translates to: "Speaking of This Day" which wonkily translates to the english phrase "good day". i am 99% sure of this. but if i am wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me... i don't want to send out false information.
treyebrow

Postby Sairana » Sun 03.23.2008 3:39 am

treyebrow wrote:from what i have seen, yes... a lot of phrases such as "konnichi wa" can be broken down. example: Kon = Kono: This. Nichi: Day/Sun. Wa: a particle that i have seen best translated as "speaking of (the noun/subject i am following)". so Konnichi wa translates to: "Speaking of This Day" which wonkily translates to the english phrase "good day". i am 99% sure of this. but if i am wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me... i don't want to send out false information.

This is kind of a necropost, but not as bad as some others. ^_^

Aaanyway... the ability to break down words like that applies in early vocabulary, but becomes more and more unclear as you expand your horizons. Take care that you are at least mentally prepared for the day when you encounter a word where the individual kanji have no immediate relevance to the word they're used in.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby richvh » Sun 03.23.2008 9:32 am

treyebrow wrote:from what i have seen, yes... a lot of phrases such as "konnichi wa" can be broken down. example: Kon = Kono: This. Nichi: Day/Sun. Wa: a particle that i have seen best translated as "speaking of (the noun/subject i am following)". so Konnichi wa translates to: "Speaking of This Day" which wonkily translates to the english phrase "good day". i am 99% sure of this. but if i am wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me... i don't want to send out false information.

Unfortunately, you're wrong on part of that. Konnichi (今日 when written in kanji) is a borrowing from Chinese, so that "kon" has no relation to the native Japanese "kono"; so literally it's more like "now day" than "this day."
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby spin13 » Sun 03.23.2008 11:52 am

A lot of you guys took far too much effort in answering this bastard of a question. Isn't "ブルー" the most obvious -- and most humorous -- answer?
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips