Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Tutor, please! =D

Tutor, please! =D

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Tutor, please! =D

Postby Sierra-Chibi » Sat 02.16.2008 8:37 pm

Heyyy. I'm american, and I am very much into Japan and the language. I know the basics, of course, but I need a tutor to help me more. ^^ For free, and hopefully can be on msn messenger often to help me. Thank you.

- Sierra-chan.
こんにちは。シエラ私は、私に聞いて轟音!
Sierra-Chibi

RE: Tutor, please! =D

Postby everdream » Sat 02.16.2008 8:41 pm

No one in their right mind will tutor you for free.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby Sierra-Chibi » Sat 02.16.2008 8:43 pm

o.o Okay.
こんにちは。シエラ私は、私に聞いて轟音!
Sierra-Chibi

Postby nukemarine » Sat 02.16.2008 9:26 pm

Well, technically, all advice from the forum can be considered free tutoring, but you definately get what you pay for.

Anyway, you can create your own structured learning path using information gleemed from various sites and textbooks and reference books and maybe even software. A tutor could be more in the line of quality control (hey, moron, you're using "ne" too much, and "sugoi" doesn't have to be in every sentence).

I personally like the AJATT path (All Japanese All The Time) where you learn to recognize and write a little of 2000 Kanji first, then move onto learning Japanese via sentences in an SRS and lots and lots of input from various sources.

If you really want a tutor, try for a language exchange site. It's technically free, but you're really paying by helping someone else in your language (I assume it's English).

Otherwise, shell out some bucks and go to a class if that's your thing. Many people here recommend that.
nukemarine

Postby Kisshu » Sat 02.16.2008 9:37 pm

Hah. I'm sorry, but they're right. I was out of my mind and tried to help someone. It was ridiculous. Way too much time and thought for nothing >_>
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby kevinnwhat » Sat 02.16.2008 10:35 pm

Could always try to find a Japanese Speaking person in your area and see if they could exchange Japanese lessons for english. That is if they need help with English obviously.
kevinnwhat

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 02.17.2008 12:05 am

I honestly would like to talk to someone who learned Japanese from one of these "I'll teach you English if you teach me Japanese" situation; I can't imagine it ever working but it's offered so often as a suggestion to people (or by people) that perhaps it has worked for someone.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Chris Hart » Sun 02.17.2008 12:33 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
I honestly would like to talk to someone who learned Japanese from one of these "I'll teach you English if you teach me Japanese" situation; I can't imagine it ever working but it's offered so often as a suggestion to people (or by people) that perhaps it has worked for someone.

The forums on EP101 and JP101 are turning into that to a limited extent. The primary learning is still the podcasts on those sites, though. The way it is working there is several native English speakers decided to listen to EP101 when it launched, and some of us are still there. EP101 targets Japanese speakers learning English. Prior to the launch of EP101, JP101 had already been used by some native Japanese speakers to practice their English comprehension, and they will appear on the forum occasionally correcting our (Japanse language students) mistakes. We (native English speakers) do the same at EP101.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby kevinnwhat » Sun 02.17.2008 12:52 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:

let me rephrase my proposal, NOT learn Japanese that way, but practice. Sry for the misunderstanding.
kevinnwhat

Postby nukemarine » Sun 02.17.2008 10:52 am

Yeah, I think most of the "Let's Teach Each Other" is good intentions bad judgement. I doubt I'm qualified to effectively teach English, and I've been using it most of my life (and I'm certified by San Diego Community College as an Instructor to boot). I probably will correct the wrong things, get bogged down in pointless areas, or get asked about specific situations that will rarely come up.

That said, seeing the more guided method of language exchange on another site (link to it is on here somewhere I think) looks like a winner. Seeing that it's a good method of practicing what you already know as Keivwhat points out. Randomly going about conversation can be as useful as learning from JPop torrent sites.

In fact, pretty much ANY method should have some structure applied so that you get constructive growth. Probably that's the reason many people glommed onto AJATT (myself included). He provided an interesting structure that looked like you could follow. With structure and certain milestones, you can see where you're going and how you're going and when you get there.
nukemarine

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips