Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Listening Comprehension

Listening Comprehension

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Listening Comprehension

Postby kyubisharingan » Mon 02.18.2008 2:20 pm

Does anyone have any tips on improving my listening comprehension? im pretty good with reading and writing, but listening is where i lack sometimes. I can catch a few things when listening to japanese...but they talk so fast XD aand most of the time, i kinda guess what they say from hearing fragmants of a sentence. SO anyway, anyone my sharing some tips on improving my listening comp?
kyubisharingan

RE: Listening Comprehension

Postby saraLynne » Mon 02.18.2008 3:29 pm

The more vocabulary I acquire, the easier it is to understand spoken Japanese. My vocabulary is still very low, so much of it is still incomprehensible. But more and more often, I can understand entire sentences.

Stick to listening material that uses more "everyday vocabulary". Things like dramas or newscasts. Anime won't exactly be good for listening comprehension because the words they use are often nothing you've studied.
They're either specific to the genre (lots of temple/religious words, for instance),
made up words (lots of sci-fi anime have tons of made up words, just like sci-fi shows/movies in english *flux capacitor* hehe)
Or archaic (the equivalent of having fantasy characters speak with thee's and thou's)

If you already have a big vocabulary and are still having comprehension issues, that's out of my element. Hope someone else stops in with more tips. :)
saraLynne

RE: Listening Comprehension

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 02.18.2008 6:42 pm

What do you mean by "pretty good with reading and writing"? What kinds of things are you able to read, and with how much dictionary use?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips