Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Best way to memorize kanji and their meanings?

Best way to memorize kanji and their meanings?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Best way to memorize kanji and their meanings?

Postby pubju » Fri 02.29.2008 11:07 am

Hey,

Does anyone have any tips for memorizing the kanji / meanings? At the moment, I'm just staring at the kanji, then reading the reainds, looking back at the kanji, reading the readings .etc, then drawing them a few times and moving on :P

But I found that I'm starting to forget some of the kanji that I learnt a few weeks ago

Is there a better way to memorize them?
pubju

Re: Best way to memorize kanji and their meanings?

Postby richvh » Fri 02.29.2008 11:14 am

Search around and you'll find plenty of threads on just this topic.

My advice: learn kanji in context.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby furrykef » Fri 02.29.2008 1:22 pm

I find that a spaced-repetition program such as Mnemosyne or Anki helps a lot, but you may need more than just that. If you're actually using the kanji, it may not be so bad, but it doesn't work well with a "kanji first" approach unless you're using a system like Heisig's Remembering the Kanji.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 02.29.2008 5:07 pm

pubju wrote:Hey,

Does anyone have any tips for memorizing the kanji / meanings? At the moment, I'm just staring at the kanji, then reading the reainds, looking back at the kanji, reading the readings .etc, then drawing them a few times and moving on :P

But I found that I'm starting to forget some of the kanji that I learnt a few weeks ago

It's because you're not connecting them to anything concrete. What you're doing is basically taking a whole bunch of random shapes and trying to connect them to equally random English words and Japanese sounds (some of which are not even words). As richv says, learn them along with context. You have to practice reading Japanese sentences and paragraphs otherwise you will not be able to remember the readings and "meanings".
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Fri 02.29.2008 5:48 pm

pubju wrote:Hey,

Yes.

DON'T memorize them.

Learn WORDS. Words are written in kanji. That's part of the vocabulary. Don't learn kanji as isolated things -- they aren't.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby pubju » Sat 03.01.2008 4:48 am

well, its part of the course im doing (uni), we are using the Basic Kanji Book and we are just going through the lessons learning the kanji, but we arent using the kanji in class... :-/

so its kinda hard to learn them in context unless i make my own sentences up or something
pubju

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 03.01.2008 10:30 am

If you're using BKB, what's the problem? Can't you just do the exercises in there? If you do both volumes of BKB you get a good basis in 500 characters, which is a good start.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby HarakoMeshi » Mon 03.10.2008 5:26 am

Just quickly, the way I am doing it is I studied RTK1, and then after I started 2001.Kanji.Odyssey which introduces kanji in sentences, so you learn the readings along with vocab, in context. The kanji are introduced in gruops that helps learning them.

2001.K.O is similar to the Kanji in Context material, but its approachable at an earlier level and just generally easier to use. Doing RTK1 is not essential for using this material, but it helps to go through it quicker, I'd say.
HarakoMeshi

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips