Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Looking up kanji compounds on Canon Wordtank

Looking up kanji compounds on Canon Wordtank

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Looking up kanji compounds on Canon Wordtank

Postby TwoOranges » Sat 03.08.2008 6:28 am

I just recentelly bought a Canon Wordtank G70 (and love it :P ), but there's just one thing lacking (I think). The Kanjigen dictionary can list compounds for a given Kanji, but lots of compounds that are probably very common for native speakers but not so common for learners of the language are missing in the list. So I just wonder how you guys solve this when you need to lookup a compound for which you don't now the pronunciation and the compound is not in the Kanjigen dictionary. What's the fastest way to find this compound in any of the dictionaries? :)
TwoOranges

Re: Looking up kanji compounds on Canon Wordtank

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 03.08.2008 10:50 am

Most newer dictionaries have a jump feature, where you can look up the first kanji in the word, then use the jump feature to show all the words in the J->E and Koujien that start with that kanji.

But the problem you are encountering is a common problem with electronic dictionaries, since they're not made for people learning Japanese as a second language.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby TwoOranges » Mon 03.10.2008 5:35 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:But the problem you are encountering is a common problem with electronic dictionaries, since they're not made for people learning Japanese as a second language.

I am aware of that, I just thought it would be a handy function, even for native speakers of the language. Well, I guess not :P
TwoOranges

Postby Shirasagi » Mon 03.10.2008 5:41 am

I'll sometimes use brute force methods: just trying different reading combinations in Koujien until something pops up. If that fails, I just put the kanji into the Daijirin at Goo.ne.jp and/or Eijiro at http://www.alc.co.jp and see what comes up. If that fails, Google is your friend.

I have an extreme aversion to asking my native speaker acquaintances. Interestingly enough, I have found it doesn't do much good anyway.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby caroline » Mon 03.10.2008 4:11 pm

I take it your dictionary does not have a writing pad in which you can write the coumpound? It is what i found most useful when encoutering something I know nothing about.
If so, jump to J>E does indeed seem the best solution.
caroline

Native language: Français

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips